Amybody ever go Spider Hunting?

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
This is a fun activity and it's amazing how many of the critters are out there. Just shine your flashlight at the grass in your backyard at night and look for the green reflection of their eyes. Sometimes they'll try to hide when you spot them but their eyes give them away. I read somewhere that for most of your life, you're never more than six feet away from a spider, now I believe it.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I once went on a spider/poison frog hunt in Costa Rica
We were told to hold the lights (cheapo 2ds) next to our heads at eye level. WOW , I thought we had a lot of critters in Florida! :eek:oo:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't but they have no problem finding me.

While visiting Japan, I told the Mrs. to pose by an old light fixture. She almost put her hand into the web of this guy. This spider was about 5" tip of front leg to back leg. Thinking of it now, it would have been nice to get a snap of the entire web which was about a 4' diameter circle.

kumo01.jpg

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Yeah, I accidentally discovered the technique for spider hunting last year while taking the trash out. I happened to scan across the yard with my EX10 and saw a glint in the grass and found a spider when I went to investigate. Then I looked around the yard, and there were probably a dozen that could be located. I never realized that there were that many spiders around.

OCD

Enlightened
I learned how to spider hunt on a night time nature walk at a state park about 20 years ago.

Just don't try to do this when there is dew on the ground...makes it look like there are spiders EVERY WHERE! :aaa:

AvPD

Enlightened
I have sometimes when I'm outdoors or camping, just to see how many reflections of Wolf-Spider eyes I can see.
I've gone unintentional spider hunting with some orb-weaver spiders a few times, definitely the scariest-looking spiders I've come across although upon closer inspection they're just regular spiders that look a bit different. Still don't want one to land on me though.

Darvis

Enlightened
Ugh! Last time I went camping, clicked on my light to make my way down to the, er, "restroom" and noticed what looked like bright diamonds all over the ground. Got up close to have a look and it turned out to spiders! hundreds of gnarly black and brown spiders!!! I was seriously glad to have been sleeping in my Honda Element that night... I am not the biggest spider loving dude.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been spotting loads of them in my basement lately. Nearly every night if I go down to change the laundry one last time I use a flashlight. Those little suckers shine every time. The biggest one I ever found however was this one:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I think spiders hunt me. I sleep on the floor and occasionally wake to that tickling sensation on my head which means I must unleash my fast brush off or splat technique.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think spiders hunt me. I sleep on the floor and occasionally wake to that tickling sensation on my head which means I must unleash my fast brush off or splat technique.

You've got to be kidding me...."Note to self - Do not be tempted to visit Australia no matter how beautiful it is there. Keywords: Spiders, splat, tickling sensation" :laughing:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
You've got to be kidding me...."Note to self - Do not be tempted to visit Australia no matter how beautiful it is there. Keywords: Spiders, splat, tickling sensation" :laughing:
Nah, when you come down here, just sleep in a bed in a modern house and you should be right as rain.

I live in a hundred and sixty year old house in the bush and sleep on the floor, spideys are never going to be far away. At least the gaps aren't big enough for the snakes to get in.................

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. I'll try to remember that tip. ;) A snake in my house wouldn't scare me as much as a spider. :thinking: Not logical I know.