What do you guys have to say about the Surefire E2DL?

COAST

Enlightened
Hey guys. Before I buy this, I was just wondering what you guys thought about your SF E2DL's. Also, is this waterproof? If so, how deep? Is this to the IPX-8 standard? Thanks guys.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't own one but I've used one before on CPF night hikes and played around with others lights at meets.

Its a great light, and would not hesitate to get one myself. Tailcap is a bit obtrusive for EDC IMHO, but thats a minor nit pick given its other strengths.

COAST

Enlightened
Ohh.... I'm ok with that kind of UI... And thanks guys! I just need to sell the stuff I have up for sale on the marketplace to get the funds, then I can get myself one :)

sfca

Enlightened
Awesome, awesome light. Even better with the LX2 2-way clip.
I too, like the UI. Not the same with the LX2's UI - I like access to constant-low to be easier.
Of course, it would be even better if low-mode was hidden
rolleye11.gif
... psss are you listening Surefire?

I think once you play with it (E2DL) for a while the mode switching is really easy to get used to.

Sardaukar

Enlightened
Love mine. I find the UI easy to use and uncomplicated. I actually prefer high first, low second. The only issue I have is with the tailcap. As Kramer hinted at, the crenelations could use some work or removal altogether. My plan is to replace it with a Z61. Buy one!

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
Don't own one for I already had bought a very (more) expensive light.
Then the LX2 came around the corner and I bought one of those.

What can I say about the E2DL?
It's often compared with the LX2.
Both have 200 SF lumen.
Both are throwers (with enough side spill).
Clicky vs Twisty
The E2DL will probably cut a hole in your pocket if you carry it there and a smaller hole in your wallet.

Prefer the UI of the E2DL. Wish the LX2 came with the same UI.

E2DL: Very nice light, just watch out for the sharp edges of the bezel.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only grab a couple of my lights the E2DL would be one of them. Great throw with wide hotspot and I really like the thin tube E series with that perfect Surefire knurling. I do like it better with the Z61 tailcap though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here's what I have to say . . . Surefire's single-stage E2DL heads that were produced in error are better than the two-stage version.

When one of those "error" heads became available slightly used, I grabbed it! Swapped out the head on my inca E2D to get the LED upgrade that I was expecting from Surefire.

Surefire . . . A company who's mistakes are sometimes better than what they intended to make.

As for the beam. Narrow, with plenty of throw; but sidespill is only barely useable at best.

If you can find a single-stage "error" head, grab it!!

Newly Enlightened
Great beam, nice form. Really lousy UI...

My exact feelings on it.

I got my first E2DL when they were released, and was very impressed with the beam and output. I gave it an honest shot as an EDC for three months. For 'tactical' use (I cringe when I use that word) the UI is indeed lousy, and I would much prefer a single-stage head.

The sharp bezel also tore up every single pair of pants that I carried it in. That issue can be mitigated by using a holster, by for my use, off-side clipped-in-pocket carry is the only way to go for a primary light.

I got an updated 200 lumen version later, and still think it's a good light for certain uses. If someone is trained in PPCT or kubotan use, and isn't using the light in conjunction with a firearm, it can be a very useful tool.

As for water resistance, I've had mine fully submerged (only for a few minutes, just to try it) and it did fine. I would prefer a momentary LOTC in lieu of the clicky if I planned on submerging it a lot.

Last edited:

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
My exact feelings on it.

I got my first E2DL when they were released, and was very impressed with the beam and output. I gave it an honest shot as an EDC for three months. For 'tactical' use (I cringe when I use that word) the UI is indeed lousy, and I would much prefer a single-stage head.

The sharp bezel also tore up every single pair of pants that I carried it in. That issue can be mitigated by using a holster, by for my use, off-side clipped-in-pocket carry is the only way to go for a primary light.

got an updated 200 lumen version later, and still think it's a good light for certain uses. If someone is trained in PPCT or kubotan use, and isn't using the light in conjunction with a firearm, it can be a very useful tool.

hello, is there any different the old one you have 120 i suppose with the new one you got 200 lumens?

Do you see any different???:duh2:

Newly Enlightened
hello, is there any different the old one you have 120 i suppose with the new one you got 200 lumens?

Do you see any different???:duh2:

Ceiling bounce I see no difference. Even alternating between both lights, illuminating an oject at distance, I see no difference at all.

My case might not be a represenative example of old vs. new, as I think my old 120 lumen E2DL is a real overachiever (it easily outthrew my Malkoff M60).

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
Ceiling bounce I see no difference. Even alternating between both lights, illuminating an oject at distance, I see no difference at all.

My case might not be a represenative example of old vs. new, as I think my old 120 lumen E2DL is a real overachiever (it easily outthrew my Malkoff M60).

my god:duh2: this seems to be very confusing isnt it?

paulr

Flashaholic
The e2dl just looks mall-ninja ridiculous in my opinion. I couldn't imagine buying one instead of an LX2. And I think you're right, for either of these lights, single stage is the way to go.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The e2dl just looks mall-ninja ridiculous in my opinion. I couldn't imagine buying one instead of an LX2. And I think you're right, for either of these lights, single stage is the way to go.

Just my opinion and we all like different type's of UI's but I like the clicky and being able to have the low on the E2Dl is a big plus for me. I can see though why some may not like the the UI I often hit the momentary in hi and then again and it does it's low mode so I have cycle again to get to high mode.

I just use it as a EDC light so it's not a big deal to tap the switch again to get it back on hi. I have the LX2 and appreciate the simple functioning UI but like I said I prefer a clicky so I can tolerate the mode switching issue I only sometimes have to deal with, matter of fact I love the two stage E series so I have grown quite use to it.

I just placed a order for a L4 and I actually wish it was a two stage but maybe after I get it maybe I will form a different opinion on the one or two stage as all my E series I have are the two stage. I also hope the "new" L4 will still be floody enough for it to stand out from my other Surefire light's, but that's for a different discussion all together.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
The tailcap on the E2DL is (or was) unique and to criticize it is to miss the whole point of the design, which is that it's a self-defense feature. As I recently recorded on another thread, it means you pretty much have to use SF's holster if you want to use a non-oversized holster, but one of the main reasons I originally bought an E2DL myself is that the protruding tailcap prevents the thing from clicking on accidentally with the tailcap screwed down in the 'ready' position- since I often carry the unit in a pocket where I wouldn't feel it heating up, that seems like a really good feature. The UI is something you get used to quickly and while it's not perfect, nothing is.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
my god:duh2: this seems to be very confusing isnt it?

Yeah. There are, however, a good amount of people here that claim to see a very noticable difference between the old and new E2DLs.

The whole 'old vs new' output debate is difficult to answer definitively without testing and comparing a decent sized lot of old and updated lights in an IS.

astanapane

Newly Enlightened
Yeah. There are, however, a good amount of people here that claim to see a very noticable difference between the old and new E2DLs.

The whole 'old vs new' output debate is difficult to answer definitively without testing and comparing a decent sized lot of old and updated lights in an IS.

Ok thank you Sir.

I might then place an order from reseller that i'm will be sure for the New 200 lumens version.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL was my favorite go-to light. (the ex has it now)

I EDC'ed it and all my pants/shorts are intact.
I used it underwater ~6 feet and it performed flawlessly.

I bought a Backup and swapped the tail caps. I think that setup works well.

1olvt1.jpg
1olvt1.jpg

Latest posts