New Quark RGB, first thoughts and opinions

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark RGB just came in the mail this morning so I thought I would post my first thoughts and opinions. Please excuse the lack of paragraphing , this playstation 3 web browser doesn't allow you to paragraph with certain things, sorry. First off is the packaging. This has to be the nicest and coolest flashlight packaging I've ever seen, such a nice design and the box is so silky smooth. Upon opening the box I was immediately struck by how deceptively small this light is, the pictures are very misleading. It's one of the smallest 2 CR123' I ever seen. Fit and finish is very good, not excellent, but then again it's not a surefire. Quark however could have been a little more generous with the lube on the threads but not a big deal. Switching between modes is very smooth and easy. I really like the moonlight mode, I can think of alot of uses it will have. Switching between colors is simple and easy as well, red to green to blue, although I did notice that ever once and a while it might skip a color or a color will appear in the wrong order, but it's not a big deal. Switch colors 25 times and it might only happen 1 time at best, I seriously doubt it's a defect of some kind, probably just a random thing with the hardware. I was a bit worried about others reporting some slight artifacts with the beam, but I'm happy to report that these artifacts are negligable at best, can only be seen at extreme close distance. Output is very good, my sample's beam is very white, and doesn't seem to have any green, blue, or yellowish tint at all, although I can't say for sure until it gets dark later. As others have reported the light doesn't have any throw at all, it's all flood. This isn't a bad thing though, as the wide beam will be very useful at close to medium range, besides nearly every quality light I own is geared towards throw so it's nice to have something different. Overall I am very happy with my purchase so far. Now the long wait for it to get dark outside so I can get a real idea of this things output and get a sense of how the colors look. Wow, thats alot of typing for using a playstation 3 controller, my thumbs are sore, LOL.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
i think it is the most revolutionary light from last year.i bought mine mainly for curiosity and to support 47 for taking the risk of coming out with a "weird" product.
well the true is that i use it a lot at work,specially connecting optical fibre.using the red color make things easier to see.

nice choose ebow86.you´ll find lots of uses for the light.and just wait till you show it around.comments from ppl are always "WOW"

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question regarding the memory feature of the RGB. My light seems to remember what mode I left it in but doesn't seem to remember what color. Let me try to explain. I set the light to red strobe, shut it off, wait 4 seconds and turn it back on and it's still in red strobe. Now, leaving it on red strobe, I shut the light back off, this time I wait over 10 seconds and turn it back on, this time the light remains in strobe mode but the color is different, this time it's green. You see the light seems to remember what mode it was set to but doesn't seem to remember what color. Same result for any of the other colors and modes. Set moonlight green, shut off, wait 4 seconds, turn back on on, still set to moonlight green. Try again, only this time wait over 10 seconds, turn it back on, still set to moonlight, but this time blue. If this is normal operating of the RGB then I'm fine with it, but it just seems strange. Can any RGB owners please respond and let me know whats goin on here?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the purchase. Once you get used to it, try a AA tube and a 14500 cell instead of the standard 2 cr/rcr123s.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
Question regarding the memory feature of the RGB. My light seems to remember what mode I left it in but doesn't seem to remember what color. Let me try to explain. I set the light to red strobe, shut it off, wait 4 seconds and turn it back on and it's still in red strobe. Now, leaving it on red strobe, I shut the light back off, this time I wait over 10 seconds and turn it back on, this time the light remains in strobe mode but the color is different, this time it's green. You see the light seems to remember what mode it was set to but doesn't seem to remember what color. Same result for any of the other colors and modes. Set moonlight green, shut off, wait 4 seconds, turn back on on, still set to moonlight green. Try again, only this time wait over 10 seconds, turn it back on, still set to moonlight, but this time blue. If this is normal operating of the RGB then I'm fine with it, but it just seems strange. Can any RGB owners please respond and let me know whats goin on here?

indeed that is strange.mine remebers the mode and the color way past 10 seconds.i think you should talk with 47´s team.there is something wrong with your light

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I sent my defective RGB back and yesterday I received my new one in the mail. 4sevens has great customer service and I really respect them for that. However I am really disappointed. The new sample I recieved doesn't have near the cool white tint my last sample had, I would actually say the new one has a very noticable purple tint and just doesn't seem as bright as the last, infact it doesn't seem NEAR as bright . The defective light I sent back had one of the coolest, whitest beams I've ever seen, and after seeing the tint on my new one I'm really disappointed. Now I can risk sending this one back and ending up getting one worse or I can just stick with the one I have. What do you guys think?