Quark Turbo VS Fenix TK11 Black, R5 Edition

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have a Inova T2-mp light that throws out 140 lumens. I am real impressed with it, but want something even brighter. I want something with longer range.

The Fenix TK11 R5 edition seems to put out 285 lumens at Turbo mode and claims a 200 meter reach. The Quark Turbo puts out 230 lumens, but I don't see any info on distance.

I am assuming the Fenix would be the better light for what I want? Is the extra 50 lumens difference noticable?

I don't necessarily need all sorts of different modes, which makes the Fenix TK 11 seem interesting (the TK12 seemed more complicated than what I need). The Quark does have several features I'd probably never use.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some beamshots would be nice from someone who has both lights, let alone maybe answer the OP's question...

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Don't trust manufacturers and advertisers on throw distance, there's NO way the TK11 will throw 200 meters.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the Quark Turbo, but my EagleTac T100C2 out throws my TK10. It's another light to consider that's about the same size and nearly half the price.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi, I have nothing to add to the discussion specifically, but you should always take manufacturer ratings and claims with a grain of salt. Lumens ratings are not standardized across manufacturers and may be exaggerated.

sfca

Enlightened
I have a Inova T2-mp light that throws out 140 lumens. I am real impressed with it, but want something even brighter. I want something with longer range.

The Fenix TK11 R5 edition seems to put out 285 lumens at Turbo mode and claims a 200 meter reach. The Quark Turbo puts out 230 lumens, but I don't see any info on distance.

I am assuming the Fenix would be the better light for what I want? Is the extra 50 lumens difference noticable?

I don't necessarily need all sorts of different modes, which makes the Fenix TK 11 seem interesting (the TK12 seemed more complicated than what I need). The Quark does have several features I'd probably never use.

I think the Fenix might be the better thrower, if only by a bit.

If you got any of these 2 lights you'd be getting a good one.
So it pretty much comes down to size - do you want the (slightly) bigger light, or the (slightly) smaller one?

shipwreck

Enlightened
Honestly - its just for around the house/neighborhood. So the size doesn't matter.

I do see some people mention that they don't like Fenix on occassion, but don't always see them state why. I guess I'll keep doing some searches and then decide for sure.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
Don't trust manufacturers and advertisers on throw distance, there's NO way the TK11 will throw 200 meters.

lol no, and Jetbeam claim their 240 Lumen Raptor RRT-1 has an effective range of 500 metres!! If that were true I'd have 3 of them by now. I doubt even the "1200" lumen RRT-3 would be very effective at 500 metres.

Back on subject, Shipwreck I think the TK11 would be fine for around the neighbourhood, and will stand up fine to your "drop" question. Mine's built like a tank, and much smaller than the catapult. I'm not sure you'd need the throw of the catapult so the extra size / weight would be pointless.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'll start by saying I've no experience with Fenix Tk11. I do have several Quark Turbo's and I live in a dark place (ie not much ambient light to plough through) and whilst the Turbo might be able to transmit light 200 metres it won't be much and I sure can't see anything small that it's lighting up at that range. 150 would be its extreme limit and even there it's not too good at picking out much detail in the bush.

Don't be fooled by pictures of any torches ligthing up light coloured buildings at long range either. I've done a bit of testing of that and almost all my torches can light up my neighbour's white aluminium clad shed four hundred yards away across the creek but not many of those self same torches can see a fox or dog at a quarter of that distance.

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
I'll start by saying I've no experience with Fenix Tk11. I do have several Quark Turbo's and I live in a dark place (ie not much ambient light to plough through) and whilst the Turbo might be able to transmit light 200 metres it won't be much and I sure can't see anything small that it's lighting up at that range. 150 would be its extreme limit and even there it's not too good at picking out much detail in the bush.

Don't be fooled by pictures of any torches ligthing up light coloured buildings at long range either. I've done a bit of testing of that and almost all my torches can light up my neighbour's white aluminium clad shed four hundred yards away across the creek but not many of those self same torches can see a fox or dog at a quarter of that distance.
.So does your Quark Turbo outdo your LL P7? I am leaning towards the former because it is available here in the Philippines. Thanks and btw l like your practical method of gauging lights.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
.So does your Quark Turbo outdo your LL P7?
My LL P7 has a bigger and brighter spot at a measured 150 yards. Much better thrower. That said, I run my LLP7 on NiMH and my one is the first generation and while it doesn't have the 200 lumens of the latest generation ones, it has been said here on some reviews that the new ones don't have as concentrated a spot as my earlier one so mine might be a bit "throwier" than one you buy today. Check the reviews.

My P7 has proved itself to be the most reliable and tough torch I own, been dropped dozens of times and having never even made a single flicker despite zero maintenance to contact points unlike all my other torches (of about ten different brands) that seem to require regular cleaning of threads and contact points to stop flickering (or in the case of one Eagletac tonight, just plain going dark).

The only reason I don't use my P7 much anymore is that it's just too big for the pockets I now wear and it doesn't have a clip. Still the best torch I've ever bought though.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
oh, and testing torches over distances is one real benefit of owning a well trained Australian Kelpie sheepdog. I can send it out to any distance on command and guage if I can see it with various torches.

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
oh, and testing torches over distances is one real benefit of owning a well trained Australian Kelpie sheepdog. I can send it out to any distance on command and guage if I can see it with various torches.
Noted JDIO and much thanks:wave:.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Ok, thanks for all your help guys.

I ended up ordering a EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 this morning (I had a couple of other threads contrasting other models, and decided to go that way...)