• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: 2 cammed smo mag d reflectors

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I just received my reflector from them today. The quality is lacking severely. First of all the cam screws into the reflector, the cam did not fit into the reflector. I am not sure if the size is different or what but I barely managed to cross the threads after 20 minutes of trying to just barely have the cam hanging off the reflector. Second of all the reflector did not easily fit into the maglite. I have to pound the reflector into the mag head several times with extreme amounts of pressure. Now the bulb does not focus correctly because the bulb does not go all the way up into the reflector due to the cam not being screwed in all the way. Heres the kicker, I now cant remove the reflector because I pretty much jammed it in there. Not to mention the reflector has fine scratches on the reflector itself and marks on the outside of it. Im SOL unless I break the thing. I may just end up doing that as soon as a high quality metal reflector comes into the market.

If anyone finds a good metal reflector somewhere else please let me know.

cooter10

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if the ones from Kaidomain are any better?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried a few metal OP reflectors for Mag, Kai, Brightlumens & DX P7 or MCE, I like the DX P7/MCE OP the most, similar intensity just better beam on white wall. I am even using a DX P7 reflector for Mag85, great hot spot.

Here is my white wall shot of Mag 85 on DX P7 reflector.
(Need some grinding to fit & hold the bulb back for optimal focus)
img2300z.jpg

However, for LED, lightly sputtered mag stock reflector seems to beat
them all.

I haven't tried regular sized SMO, because all the posts about beam quality, doesn't seem to work well on led or hot wire for white wall hunters like my self, Need at least VLOP.

The Only SMO I liked is the mag Rebel Deep SMO for LED, beautiful & intense beam on SST-90 & SST-50, I have 2 lights made with that, there's also a lot of info. from Techjunkie threads on Rebel SMO.

Because of the Rebel Deep SMO experience, I've decided to order FM Deep Reflector to try out on my mag 85. I've read that even the SMO gave a great beam, but I ordered VLOP anyways, should still be a big improvement over shallow OP reflectors.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Kai's reflectors are pretty good, although its kind of a crap shoot ordering from them, you might get it and then again you might not. Ive always been fortunate enough to received all my orders (eventually) plan on at least 2-3 weeks.

hoongern

Enlightened
I have to pound the reflector into the mag head several times with extreme amounts of pressure. Now the bulb does not focus correctly because the bulb does not go all the way up into the reflector due to the cam not being screwed in all the way. Heres the kicker, I now cant remove the reflector because I pretty much jammed it in there.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if the ones from Kaidomain are any better?

I have the Kai v3 SMO and I can't comment on the cam, as I'm using it camless (w/ Kiu socket), but I also had the issues of the diameter being a bit too large for the Mag head, and it wouldn't go in properly.

I ended up taking a file and just filing down the edge of the reflector (aluminum is pretty soft) until it sat snugly in the Mag head - if this information helps anyone.

And btw, if it's jammed in there, can you not unscrew the entire head and push it out from the other side?

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I have the Kai v3 SMO and I can't comment on the cam, as I'm using it camless (w/ Kiu socket), but I also had the issues of the diameter being a bit too large for the Mag head, and it wouldn't go in properly.

I ended up taking a file and just filing down the edge of the reflector (aluminum is pretty soft) until it sat snugly in the Mag head - if this information helps anyone.

And btw, if it's jammed in there, can you not unscrew the entire head and push it out from the other side?

I tried pushing it out from the other side with the other end of a hammer but nothing. I didnt put too much pressure though because I did not want to break it. Keep this thread updated if anyone has info on where to buy a good quality reflector that FITS. I contacted brite lumens about this issue and got no response of course.

mrartillery

Enlightened
If its that tight I would go around the outer perimeter with a dremel, being careful not to get any metal flakes on the reflector surface. You should be able to fit it without using a hammer.