Where can I get 20mm clicky tailcaps?

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
I want to replace a tail cap with a mechanical clicky. 20mm is the size... any suggestions?

Maybe my google-fu is weak and your google-fu is strong!

:candle:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he wants to replace a solid tailcap (twisty) with a clicky tailcap.

To the OP, it's not that simple if that is what you are asking. Perhaps you can tell us what kind of light you are referring to.

Maybe they have replacements like that but probably not. If can kind find another light with the same threads you're in luck. Otherwise, unless the company makes it you are probably out of luck.

If I'm misreading your post my apologies.

If you already have a clicky tailcap and the clicky failed then it's much easier to find replacements for that.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
It's for the Costco tactical light. I haven't found anything that will work yet.

I see what you mean, though. It could crossthread if it isn't the right 20mm tail cap.

I would like to replace the entire tail cap with a mechanical clicky tailcap, if that makes sense.

Or... could I yank the guts out of the tailcaps I have and make a mechanical clicky out of it? I suppose that would work too...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm with you. It's a bit annoying getting the right diameter but the wrong thread pitch. I did that with a hose fitting a few weeks ago. Do you have a budget?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for the Costco tactical light. I haven't found anything that will work yet.

I see what you mean, though. It could crossthread if it isn't the right 20mm tail cap.

I would like to replace the entire tail cap with a mechanical clicky tailcap, if that makes sense.

Or... could I yank the guts out of the tailcaps I have and make a mechanical clicky out of it? I suppose that would work too...

So does the Costco light have a momentary switch...you touch it and it's on as long as you're touching it but doesn't click to stay on. Or is it a solid tailcap and you have to twist it to come on at all?

If it's the momentary type you should be able to just take out a retaining rings and take that switch out and drop a "clicking" switch in.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
So does the Costco light have a momentary switch...you touch it and it's on as long as you're touching it but doesn't click to stay on. Or is it a solid tailcap and you have to twist it to come on at all?

If it's the momentary type you should be able to just take out a retaining rings and take that switch out and drop a "clicking" switch in.

It clicks, but it's not a mechanical clicky, it's an electric switch. Because it' an electric switch, there's a parasitic drain on the battery... three fully charged AAAs will be dead in a week.

My current solution is to unscrew the tailcaps when I'm not using the lights. That kind of sucks, though. I'd rather replace the electric switch with a mechanical.

I like the idea of taking out the retaining rings and dropping something else in there. I'll take one apart tomorrow and see what I can do.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
http://thumbsnap.com/RjB69qQf

http://thumbsnap.com/zoZuCgn1

That's what's inside the clicky cap. The part with the circuit board is the button, and that's the part that drains the battery. If I could get a three way mechanical switch in there, that would be perfect. Medium, high, and strobe.

The second picture is with the circuit board/button part and a black plastic spacer. You can see the button through the hole in the spacer.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I can follow directions and take pictures.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
I'm just gonna bump this for the odd chance that somebody has an idea or another website where I can look up parts and stuff.

Throw me a bone?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just gonna bump this for the odd chance that somebody has an idea or another website where I can look up parts and stuff.

Throw me a bone?

Some people I've talked to about lights got costco clickies that -don't- eat batteries that fast. For the budget, you might be doing better to get another light, unless you can tap threads...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to double-bump, but with a circuit like this, it probably only works with a momentary switch - the circuit sits there and does its thing when you hit the tailcap switch, which is momentary. So you'd have to rebuild the driver too...is that the driver there in the tailcap? Anyone?

Noctis

Enlightened
I would strongly suggest throwing that light away and buying a completely new light.

For the price of a brand new tailcap + switch you might just save yourself the time and trouble and get a brand new light.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
Well this is kind of a drag. They're great lights for my bicycle, they do a MUCH better job than a $120 bike light for a total of about $25, so I was really happy.

As it is, my solution is to tuck the lanyard inside the twofish flashlight mount, unscrew the tailcap, and let it hang. Maybe that's the easiest solution.

The lights aren't going to sit in a glovebox for months without use when I suddenly need to change a tire or anything like that.

Oh well.

I was thinking about swapping them out for http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-53/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-Q5/Detail if I really really need to, which ups my cost from $25 to over $50, but still way cheaper than a "bike light" would be.

Latest posts