Inova Microlight - Durability ?

Cruzer23

Newly Enlightened
Alright, So I am interested in the new Inova Microlight (actually a bulk)
But the only thing that concerns me is their durability, I have read about Inova's just dying randomly, but these were all threads from 2005-2007 (The old Microlight)
Since then it has been revised, and I don't know if they fixed some of their problems.

So, for how long have you had yours, are you happy with them, do you recommend the red light for soldiers ?

I would get the Photon but it's 20 dollars shipped outside US for EACH. and for that I would rather get an ITP or a couple of Fenix E01 :) So we're down to Inova.

Thanks !

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is little to no difference in output if you run 1x2032 or 2x2016.
The clear would probably not be good for field work.
The PWM of low mode is annoyingly slow.

If the price is right...

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want cheap coin lights, I'd say just buy Fauxtons. Fenix E01 is a good next step up. I'm not sure about ITP--they can be good lights but I begin to think they have some QC issues. I'd probably get a Fenix LD01 (that's what I carry right now) rather than an ITP.

I do have a Photon Freedom and it's pretty neat, but I've never been convinced there's that much point to its complexity. Coin lights are good if you want something tiny for your keys or as a backup to a bigger light, but not really that great for frequent use.

Last edited:

Mike 208

Enlightened
I bought a green Inova Microlight a few years ago; I carried it on my keyring for almost 2 weeks, and found that when the switch was moved to the "on" position, nothing would happen. If you press it, the light will come on, but no constant on. I still don't know what happened. I've never purchased another. The only lights of this type I will use now are LRI Photons - never had a problem with them.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several, and have had no problems with them.

I like the fact that they have a socket inside for the led, meaning you can swap to other leds easily without solder. There are several good threads on quality, fun 5mm leds. The stock ones aren't bad, either. I believe they are Nichias.

paulr

Flashaholic
It's trivial to swap the leds in a Photon II / Fauxton-style light, if that matters.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Photons are soooo much better. Why can't you find a dealer who is international friendly?

Lighthound, for instance. Or BrightGuy.

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I've had one of the clear, single output ones on my keychain for years, and it's great.

The momentary switch is not too hard to press, but hard enough that it doesn't turn on at random. The slider for always on has worked fine as well.

You get quite a bit of run time on 1 button cell. It took a few years to discharge the one it came with, and changing them is easy. Cells are cheap too.

I also have one of the programmable ones with a black body- it has low, high, and beacon or slow strobe. It's not bad, but for some reason I prefer the other one. My only complaint is that the led output is a little on the blue/purple side. But, what do you expect for 6 bucks?

It certainly isn't a piece of junk. I don't know how it compares to the photons/fauxtons, but I think it's a great keychain light. It's great especially as a companion to a single high output light, like a surefire e2d, or 9p when you don't want to blind everybody or jack your nightvision.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photons are soooo much better. Why can't you find a dealer who is international friendly?

Lighthound, for instance. Or BrightGuy.

Definately! I am a big fan of some INOVA lights but not the Microlight.All the Microlights I have come across turn on accidentally.I haven't seen any information indicating that the Microlight's problems have been fixed.The Fauxtons are probably the least expensive way to go but I have had poor experience with some of them as well.Photon offers the X-Micro as a cheaper alternative to the Freedom.It isn't quite as nice as the Freedom but I would choose it over the INOVA Microlight.If at all practical I would purchase one or two examples of any coin cell light to try them out before buying any large numbers of them.

Last edited: