Arc AAA LS high dome mod - w/ pics

d'mo

Enlightened
Hey all!

With all the recent "David and Goliath" stuff going on, I've parted with all of my M*9 stuff, including a TonyB S01itaire LS mod. As much as I hated to see it go, life goes on. As a result, I acquired a "dud" Arc AAA from the recent auctions. Since it was already non-working, I carefully removed the electronics and replaced them with a high-dome LS (don't know the rank, but it's beautifully white).

The beam is extremely wide (no lens... yet) and has a center hot spot and glorious flood beam. I finished it about an hour ago so I have not had the chance to see it in the dark.

Here are the pics (I'll remove them if they are sucking up too much bandwidth). Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the business end...
fb833674.jpg

Let there be light...
fb833670.jpg

Wide flood from about 8". The spot on the right is a modified Photon III with T-rank Nichia.
fb83366d.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Any idea on the current draw? relative brightness to a fully driven 1W LS?

d'mo

Enlightened
It's drawing about 200mA accross the diode. Compared to my old Arc LS and the naked eye, I figure about 60 to 70% as bright (when placing an NX05 optic in front of it to make things fair).

d'mo

Enlightened
The circuit uses a Zetex ZXSC300, FMM617 transistor, 100uH inductor and .0033 ohm sense resistor.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last two pics aren't showing up for me. It just says that you can't access these pictures outside of imagestation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, strange. I can see the pic, though. Maybe that is because i am an imagestation member too.

Hi Dmo, any chance you would help other CPFer (esp me) to do this mod?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

i can't see the bottom two pics either though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you right click on the pictures that you can't see, you can get the url and then copy and paste it into the address box, and then just go to the page and view the pictures. I love that beamshot!

tonyb

Enlightened
Hey D'mo that circuit sounds really familiar, did you take apart my solitaire mod already?

d'mo

Enlightened
Shiftd,
I'm not sure I would want to tackle multiple mods like this. I suppose I'll think about it.

TonyB, as much as I loved your mod, I sold it in protest in solidarity with Arc. No more m*9s for me...ever, in any form.

The circuit, however is from Zetex's spec sheets of the ZX300.

Back on Monday...

hideo

Enlightened
I'm in line right behind shiftyd ... since my soldering of teeny items is legendarily bad, could I convince you to duplicate this little marvel?

you knew this was going to happen!

hideo

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
d'mo,
Very nice mod, can you give more details on the circuit you used? I would love to try something like this myself.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo, that is a nice mod! You guys keep it up and we will have to offer the AAA2 (still working on the name). Henry and I think a small AAA LS could be made in larger than small unit quantities. Not easy or cheap though.

Again, nice mod.

Peter

robk

Enlightened
Did you use the circuit without the schottky diode and cap? When I do this with 1.5V input, the 617 gets very hot. Could you give some details on the inductor?
Thanks,
Rob

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
A real AAA LS....OH yes.

Do it Peter do it.

And do the AA in an LS as well.

You make it and they will come