Another Catapult question..OP or SMO?

Enlightened
I'm ready to pull the trigger on v2 of the Catapult. Although I guess i could buy a spare reflector, I'd rather do it right in the first shot and get the more appropriate one for my use.
My usage: people spotting/hunting and immediate area lighting

All the reviews said that the SMO reflector has a smooth beam. How is the spill for up close to medium range work? I want to see at least a good area in front of me.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the spill on my catapult v1 with smooth reflector is very bright, with a purplish tint. hotspot is white, and the corona is yellowish. the spill isnt very wide. i would say about as wide as my jetbeam, or olight m20, but its much much brighter. with the smooth reflector you will also be getting much better throw.

Enlightened
Thanks.. I just wanted to be sure the beam was useful a few feet in front of me and not so concentrated that I'd have to sweep side to side to see what was in front and off to the sides.

HIDblue

Enlightened
If you're going to be using it primarily for up-close work, you may want to consider the OP reflector. The OP should give it a better looking beam, a bit more flood, but less throw than the SMO. From what I gather, most folks buy the Catapult as a thrower so they opt for the SMO reflector.

I've seen the optional OP and SMO reflectors on line for as little as $12.95, so it's not cost prohibitive just to get both. You're already spending $159+ for the V2, so getting both reflectors will also increase the versatility of the light that much more.

Just my $0.02. :wave:

Last edited:

Enlightened
I ended up ordering the SMO version and will give it a shot. I didn't see a huge difference with the beamshots I saw. The only thing I'm not sure about is the V1 and V2 reflector. On the breakdown post made here the reflector height is different.