What's the most powerful warm tint thrower?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm looking for something...

- Catapult size or smaller
- a tint between 3-3,600K
- at least 400 OTF lumens
- closer to the "thrower" end of the flood to thrower continuum ... say at least 20,000 lux
- at least 1 or 2 lower, longer run time modes

I have no idea... does anything like that exist? Does anyone custom build something like that?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for something...

- Catapult size or smaller
- a tint between 3-3,600K
- at least 400 OTF lumens
- closer to the "thrower" end of the flood to thrower continuum ... say at least 20,000 lux
- at least 1 or 2 lower, longer run time modes

I have no idea... does anything like that exist? Does anyone custom build something like that?

Well, it would have to be a SST-50 in a single die to get 400 OTF and I don't know if those are currently available in the warmer tints?

You could use a warmer tint XR-E and just drop it into a Catapult but you don't have 400 OTF lumens but could get the lux that you want.

You could get a warm MC-E (I guess) but they're not known for throw although with a bigger head you might meet all of your criteria.

The more throw you want the less the tint will matter I would think.

fareast

Enlightened
check out the eagletac M2XC4 in Neutral. There aren't that many warm tinted throwers around with led's. This one uses 3 Cree XR-E's (Q3-5A) and remember, the XR-E Led is still a favoured led for throw. It's a very capable thrower and it is one of my favourites although many here disliked the early versions. The current ones are in my opinion even better (the flashing options such as strobe are now hidden). The plastic matte coating wears off quickly around the edges but it's only optical damage. It's also very short and heavy. I tried the clicky tail many times but I kept going back to the alu tail. Sometimes I wish the lowest could go lower than 33 lumens (abt. 55 hrs runtime) since this 33 is still quite bright sometimes. The high (abt. 666 lumens) is just very nice and throws very well. Thinking about it, the high is usually too high for my needs and I mostly just use the first and second level.

All in al, I am very happy with this light. Almost forgot: the three led's produce a very daisy like beam pattern. I think it looks cool. You might very well not like it. Outdoors it is not noticeable. When I bought this light, I too wanted a warmer tinted thrower to replace an incan and this is what was then available. There might be more now but none come to mind. Perhaps the 4 sevens warm quark run with a turbo head. I just got one of those led's and the tint is very nice.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
that would probably be my Jetbeam M1X with the warm LED. A close contender would be the MG RX-1 warm/neutral tint that i bought for my brother, it has a 53mm diameter bezel so it could throw pretty darn far and in a small 1x18650 package too.

Afraid that it's out of stock at shiningbeam though, i clicked on 'MG' and nothing was available.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I forgot about the Eagletacs M2XC4 ...

I wonder what the beam would look like if I replaced the LED's with the even warmer XPG Q5 7A3's... I'm sure it wouldn't throw as well but it would be hotter.

Are there any SST 50's in warm? One of those in a Catapult would be my first choice!

Edit: I just went to luminous website and noticed they have a WH bin, W30M 3000K, SST 50 bulb. Any ideas what would happen if I put that in a catapult? Would the reflector be the same?

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not an exact fit, but close. Mac's SST-50 EDC

4,500k temp.
500+ OTF Lumens
Not designed just for throw, but with 500+ lumens, it lights up everything in front of you.
Low = 150 ma
Med = 1.0a
High = 2.8a

DROOL!!!
broke.gif

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click on the link in my signature :bow::devil:.
If you can't find a warm-tinted M1X you could just mod it yourself. It definitely isn't very difficult. I would recommend a neutral tint because it's brighter and closer to real sunlight.

jblackwood

Enlightened
The DEFT FTPs that were made with warmer tints. I think there have been about 3 or 4 made. I have one! :devil:

MC-E lights won't throw as far as a single die light because each die is off center so it's harder to focus it for maximum lux, I don't care how many lumens it puts out! :shakehead

I don't know if Michael (saabluster) is planning on making any more neutral/warm DEFTs, he's pretty focused on the high output lights. I can tell you that my FTP looks like it throws a lot less than it actually does and I attribute that to the tint. I'll let you guys make up your mind when I have some pictures taken soon.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M1X will definitely do over 20000 lux which the OP says is enough. It has 2 modes of which one can be programmed to just about anything. Also the DEFT has a much bigger head compared to the catapult which the OP mentions.

@rickypanecatyl: what battery configuration do you prefer?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
The M1X will definitely do over 20000 lux which the OP says is enough. It has 2 modes of which one can be programmed to just about anything. Also the DEFT has a much bigger head compared to the catapult which the OP mentions.

@rickypanecatyl: what battery configuration do you prefer?

I prefer CR123/16340's with the ability to do also run 18650's ...

A little more backdrop...My Dad's a big Incan Maglite fan; has the 4 D. I'm gonna see him in a few weeks. I've tried to impress him in the past w some of the newer LED's; he "cedes" that it wins in some areas but always has areas that the mag is better. This time I'm going for a win in ALL categories. Various categories include (but are not limited to :grin2:):
- How far can it throw?
- How visible is the hotspot in the woods at night? (Its kind of interesting that the low quality mag hotspot with all its irregularities is almost easier to spot.)
- Overall lumens
- Beam color (very important to him; I may have a higher lumen light but he thinks its "unnatural"... like a fluorescent light bulb in the woods!) I do have to admit that the warm color mag light bulb does really help you "SEE" much better; I pointed out to him that these new LED's were so powerful they could temporarily blind and disorient you to which he responded, "Now that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! What would ya wanna do that for?"
- And finally, the all important ability to bonk someone on the head with it! I think he'd have to admit the Catapult would be just as good as a mag in that aspect.

I don't know why he argues with me... if he just acted impressed I'd give it to him :)

Wattnot

Enlightened
LOL I have a single AAA powered light that beats a Mag!!

Anyway, as already suggested, look at the M2XC4. It meets all of your requirements (However, I'm not sure of the size of a Catapult).

I reviewed it here.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
3-3,600K is really warm. I suggest an incan hotwire. The hotwires are in that range. Maybe a 2C ROP running 2*26500 batteries.
Umm. Since your dad is used to a 4D Mag maybe a 2D/6AA ROP. That should blow away a stock 4D Mag at 2/3 the size.

3-3,600K LEDs only produce 72% the light of the equivalent cool white. Which is why flashlight manufacturers don't use them. 4-4500K is the best you can get without going custom.
Except for 4sevens current limited run of WARMS Quarks and Preons. I calculate the 230 lumen Quark 123² Turbo drops to 165 lumens for the warm white. That is the best throwing production LED in 3-3500K.

Is your dad familiar with the safe operation of lithium batteries? If not I'd stay away from giving him a light that requires them. He might just blow his hand off by using mismatched cells.
I'd suggest going for the Quark AA² Turbo WARMS. 3-3500K. Minimag size. Uses common AA batteries. The 206 lumen cool white drops to 148 lumens warm white. It is still ~3X the 55 lumens of a stock 4D Mag.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_310&products_id=2289
I assume you know the CPF discount code.
Or the WARM WHITE Preon 2. Penlight size. Uses common AAA batteries. The 160 lumen cool white is now 110 lumen warm white. Still 2X the 55 lumens of a stock 4D Mag.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_310&products_id=2294

-

Don't go around saying "My LED is brighter than your incan," because
1) There are plenty of 4000 lumen hotwires out there. 2X brighter than the SST-90 lights. 10X your 400 lumen requirement.
2) Someone will show up with an HID which will blow all your LEDs away.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I just saw those quarks LEDNinja... excellent color... I think probably the same as a incan mag.

I haven't been able to find the throw listed anywhere for an old 4D mag - I do know that with fresh batteries it easily puts a visible hot spot on the tops of trees 150 yards out where my 380 lumen Eagletac T20C2 isn't really close.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3k tints... so about 70% the light. If the new Catapult puts out 700 OTF #'s I guess that means a 3,000K version could still put out 450+ lumens. That would probably beat the 4d on throw, tie it for color, blow it out of the water for total lumens and runtime, and edge it out in the "bop a bad guy on the head" category :)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
LOL I have a single AAA powered light that beats a Mag!!

Anyway, as already suggested, look at the M2XC4. It meets all of your requirements (However, I'm not sure of the size of a Catapult).

I reviewed it here.

Excellent review! Just read the whole thing!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remembered there is an incan spare bulb in the tailcap of my 2C MagLED.
The bulk of Neutral/Neutral Warm tints are ANSI 5, like the EZAAw.
Ignore the hotspots. They tend to overpower the sensor of my camera. Use the spill light for comparison.

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, Preon 2 WARMS low (ANSI 7 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-Preon-Lo.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, Preon 2 WARMS medium (ANSI 7 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-Preon-Med.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, Preon 2 WARMS high (ANSI 7 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-Preon-Hi.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, EZAAw low (ANSI 5 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-EZAAw-Lo.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, EZAAw high (ANSI 5 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-EZAAw-Hi.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, EZAA low (WC/ANSI 1 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-EZAA-Lo.jpg

Tint comparison Mag incandescent left, EZAA high (WC/ANSI 1 tint) right.
Tint-Mag-EZAA-Hi.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
I keep waiting for the M2XC4 to go on sale at a really low price (<$100) when it is replaced by some newer model.