new fenix TK11 R5 VS TK12 R5

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
hello all, let me first introduce myself. my name is Matt, im married with three lovely children. ive always loved flashlight since i was i child and now with all these led lights coming out its getting alittle overwelming. that is why i decided to join this forum to get the input of all the experts.

now to the questions

i currently have the fenix tk11r2. i love the light. i use the 18650 rechargables in it. its alittle bigger than i would like for a EDC, but i love the light output. ive thought about getting the l1d because of its size, but dont know if the light output is bright enough for me.

what is the main differnce between the new tk11r5 and the tk12r5. here is what ive come up with.

with 18650 batteries

tk11r5---285 lumens----2.7hours

tk12r5---280 lumens----1.5hours(two cr123) dont know why they dont give the time for the 18650 batteries. if anyone know the runtime with those. please let me know.

both lights cost the same. so what is the differnce in the two lights.

why would one buy one light over the other.

thanks in advance
matt

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Tk12 has 3 mode groups with 2 mode each. TK12 does accept 18650 cells. It adds strobe, 120lm mode and a 12 lumens low mode.

But with the Tk11 you get higher efficiency and longer runtime. Over 3 hours on turbo and over 18 hours on medium. I tested myself, don't know why fenix spec are so conservative.

So the second one gets my vote, I always run my flashlight on high.

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
how did you find out the efficiency of the tk12 with 18650 cells. there web site only shows it with 123 cells.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Matt! Click here to go to an existing thread about these two lights. Maybe you will find all of the info you seek in that thread.

BTW, :welcome:

Casey

HIDblue

Enlightened
Ya know it's funny, but I've read in some other threads that some folks actually prefer the TK11 R2 over the TK11 R5 even though the R5 has higher output on turbo. :candle:

But if you're looking for a smaller Fenix for EDC, you may want to check out the Fenix PD30 R4 (~265 lumens on 2 CR123's) or other folks seem to also recommend the Quark 123 tactical R5 (~230 lumens).

daf3m

Enlightened
Instead of PD30 R4 check the R2 edition ..It can throw further than the R4 despite the -35 lumens.

yalskey

Enlightened
Ya know it's funny, but I've read in some other threads that some folks actually prefer the TK11 R2 over the TK11 R5 even though the R5 has higher output on turbo. :candle:

I think that's because the R5 is a tad bigger in size than the R2. Since the R2 is more like a "dot", it's light can more easily be collected and reflected by the reflector. As compared to trying to cultivate the light over a larger surface, which is geometrically more challeging.

I'd go with the TK11 R5 for the most bang for you buck. Plus, most of the time you don't need all those fancy modes / flashing.

Oh, and the TK12 is a textured reflector (smoother beam, shorter throw), as compared to the TK11 which is smooth (longer throw).

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
I think that's because the R5 is a tad bigger in size than the R2. Since the R2 is more like a "dot", it's light can more easily be collected and reflected by the reflector. As compared to trying to cultivate the light over a larger surface, which is geometrically more challeging.

I'd go with the TK11 R5 for the most bang for you buck. Plus, most of the time you don't need all those fancy modes / flashing.

Oh, and the TK12 is a textured reflector (smoother beam, shorter throw), as compared to the TK11 which is smooth (longer throw).

I believe the TK12 R5 is smooth as well. I've been trying to find one for the last couple of weeks and finally got one coming in tomorrow that is OP. A lot of sites that have the TK12 R5 have an OP description but I think Fenix dropped it for some reason. The store where I'm getting it only had one that was OP, all the others were SMO. The other stores that I contacted only had the SMO even though it was in the description as OP.

Here's a reply I got from a distributor.

We did have some TK12R5 OP, we were the only ones in North America that had them, unfortunately they are sold out and I don't think Fenix has any plans to make any more.

Last edited:

diggopaiva

Newly Enlightened
TK12 R5- Regulated with 18650, SMO reflector, more modes.

TK11R5- Regulated too with 18650, smo reflector. two modes.

Tk11r2 - Thrower than Tk11r5 but not regulated on turbo.

Hacken

Enlightened
so does the Tk11 r5 comes in OP reflector? will the smooth reflector have that ring(gap) when you shoot it against a white wall?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the TK11/12s I've encountered at my dealer are equipped with SMOs.

The hotspot of an XPG-equipped model isn't really that concentrated (as compared to the XRE). I've hoped to see a TK model with OP reflectors beforehand, but after trying the TK11 (SMO) I don't think OP is necessary.

BTW, any runtime graphs on the TK11 r5? Still flat-regulated like on the previous XRE R2 model?
Also, any QC issues, bugs etc. on the TK11?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, any runtime graphs on the TK11 r5? Still flat-regulated like on the previous XRE R2 model?
Also, any QC issues, bugs etc. on the TK11?

The runtime is the same, the only thing that changed was the led emitter, will deliver more output but the same runtime.