Infinity Ultra ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH225

Newly Enlightened
I am a little confused. I picked up an Infinity Ultra with the expectation that it would be fairly bright. Well, I am somewhat dissapointed.

The Ultra when compared to a plain old Photon II (white) is only a tad brighter. I was expecting it to be a whole lot brighter which it is definitely not.

Now granted, the Ultra is waterproof and a cool little light, but as far as runtimes, they both are almost equal.

The main gripe I have is that the Ultra is WAY bigger than the Photon II with only a small amount of extra light to go with the added size. I can put a Photon II on my keychain and not know it is there, but you will obviously know the Ultra is on the keychain when it is in your pocket.

Will the Ultra throw a brighter light if I put a AA lithium in vs. an alkaline? If so, where can I find AA Lithiums? All I have seen are the Nicad rechargeables.

Gandalf

Enlightened
The Infinity Ultra gives *far more* light than a Photon does: the curent is regulated, so that instead of getting about an hour of really bright light, followed by a relatively rapid decrease in output, as you do from a Photon, you get 15 to 20 hours of the same high output light. And all from a single AA battery that costs 25 to 50 cents, depending on your sources for batteries.

I agree that the Photon make a much more convenient keychain light, due to it's small size, and that's exactly it's designed role. The Infinity Ultra was designed as a relatively long burn primary or secondary source of illumination: most people don't carry an Infinity Ultra as an EDC, but they tend to get dropped into a pocket 'just in case', when you know you are going to need a flashlight. The Infinity Ultra is tough enough to meet military requirements, which speaks volumes for it's reliability.

So, to me at least, comparing a Photon to an Infinity Ultra is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison; about the only thing they really have in common is a single LED; beyond that, they are vastly different lights.
icon3.gif

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Ultra with a 1.5 volt battery can match the brightness of a photon running on 6 volts from two 2016 3 volt batteries, that's doing pretty good i think.

SuRgE

Enlightened
JH225,

Put new batteries in each, turn both on, compare the brightness, leave them on, come back 15 minutes later, and see what happened. The Ultra stays bright for hours upon hours. The Photon is only bright for around 5-10 minutes then dims quite a bit.

I own all photons and both the Ultra and regular infiniy. Also, my ultras are brighter than my Arc AAA LEs. I do love them all. They serve different purposes.

My Ultra isn't any brighter with the lithium.

Just the facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.