New Title: Super Awesome Maglite Gatling Gun

tolkaze

Enlightened
At work, we recently received a brand spankin' new borehole camera. Basically, we went for the works and spent close to AU$27,000 on this thing. It has a nifty little camera with a tilting head, automagical depth counters, video outs and all the bells and whistles. One of the attachments allows for extra lighting, in the form of flashlights attached to the stabiliser behind the camera head.

This attachment is supposed to be waterproof to 2000 ft (we need to operate down to about 600m) So i am thinking that it is some kind of awesome dive light, running multiple cree's or maybe even a Phlatlight emitter of some kind. At least thats what I would have put in since cooling wouldn't be a problem under 600m water head.

Anyways, onto the pictures

I thought this would be cool to check out, and when I opened up the box, I found this!
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

27052010_001.jpg

Yup, thats right, eight mini maglights held together by a bracket!

27052010_002.jpg

27052010_003.jpg

They seem to be the newer Mini Maglite LED's with the rebels in them (not sure though, haven't seen one up close before, but they have high, low, blink and fast blink)

27052010_005.jpg

All Lights turned on!

27052010_006.jpg

All on but spread out

27052010_007.jpg

Makin' a tight beam

27052010_010.jpg

On the left is a single Mini Mag LED, and on the right is my Novatac 120M on max
27052010_011.jpg

Again, eight times mini maglites on left, Novatac on right

Didn't get a shot of it with any other lights, but my 6P with Nailbender sst-90 dropin makes more light than this!

Comments?

LOLs?

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting Lighting Techniques??

what?! that thing is operated by head twists.. when they're submerged, are we hoping for at least 1 to survive?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

AU$27,000 for something that'll withstand 60+ atmospheres, and you got 8 Mini-Maglites? Remind me - what pressure are unprotected LEDs good for?

tolkaze

Enlightened

I thought they may have sealed the heads or something, but a quick examination, they seem to be straight from the packet. The o-rings should hold out most of the water if it is turned on dry, and then submerged. The front end of these do look like a sealed unit compared to the old incan which was just full of holes

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought they may have sealed the heads or something, but a quick examination, they seem to be straight from the packet. The o-rings should hold out most of the water if it is turned on dry, and then submerged.
Not submerged to a depth of 600 m. :(

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I doubt those plastic windows will hold up...

tolkaze

Enlightened

Well the camera is going out next week. I don't think the lights will be used just yet. I may be asked to find an alternative sooner than later, so may be stopping by looking for a fabricator to knock something together.

May just have to cable tie a DX light full of epoxy and see how that holds up first

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

This attachment is supposed to be waterproof to 2000 ft (we need to operate down to about 600m) So i am thinking that it is some kind of awesome dive light, running multiple cree's or maybe even a Phlatlight emitter of some kind. At least thats what I would have put in since cooling wouldn't be a problem under 600m water head.

Comments?
nah mate, ya got it wrong, it's not supposed to go six hundred metres under the water. Once you get all the Maglite beams focussed together into one point that thing'll be so powerful it'll see down through six hundred metres of muddy water just by sitting it at the top of the bore head. Trust me............

That'll be twenty seven thousand please.

monkyboy

Newly Enlightened

Is this a joke? How much did you pay for the 8 maglites and the pvc pipe?

Also what you using it for some kind of drilling/mining application?

tolkaze

Enlightened

Is this a joke? How much did you pay for the 8 maglites and the pvc pipe?

Also what you using it for some kind of drilling/mining application?

I assume the 8 mini maglites didn't cost $27k, but the rest of the kit did

27052010_008.jpg

Here you can see the power supply and reel on the left, then the tripod legs, then some dvd's and some bubble wrap, the lights below that, then further right there is the 7 inch monitor. The shiny rod below the monitor is the Camera (camera is pointing right) then at the far right is one of those sony portable DVD recorder dealies with a screen etc.

The camera is pretty standard kit for borehole applications, we are using it to take pretty pictures of all sorts of things, the first job is measuring shear in an 8" bore situated over the goaf in a NSW UG coal mine.

lolipopo

Newly Enlightened

that's really amazing,funny to find out this

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

must've been the bubble wrap.. 20$ per bubble, eh?

Vesper

Enlightened

Yup, top-o-the-line afterthought. Now where is that "I guess some people aren't flashaholics" thread. :grin2: Make sure you send them the link back here so the kit can at least include a few solarforces or something. :rolleyes:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

That cable alone could easily be well over $20k. Is this setup really supposed to be for underwater filming? I can't really imagine plastic pipe surviving the pressure at 600 metres underwater.

tolkaze

Enlightened

That cable alone could easily be well over $20k. Is this setup really supposed to be for underwater filming? I can't really imagine plastic pipe surviving the pressure at 600 metres underwater.

Firstly, yes... this setup is supposed to be for filming down boreholes with up to 600m head of pressure, although, unless the borehole was in excess of say... 10 inches, then the built in led's on the front of the camera should be more than enough. I wouldn't want to be filming / logging / equipment recovery in a borehole that was 600m deep, more than 10" wide, unless it had bee partially dewatered...

As for cost, Yeah, i'm not entirely sure of the breakdown of costs... The cable is 2000ft long (according to the specs) and is triple core video cable, capable of sending back colour footage. Our last camera was also colour, but the image lost signal after only a hundred metres or so, we could only run black and white deeper than that. So some super cable for sure! Would say that the cable, the power supply, motor and machining of it all makes up for a large percentage of the cost.

As for the PVC pipe, i'm thinking that it doesn't hold any pressure (as in pressure vessel) Not entirely sure how it all goes together yet. We are sending the cable and the camera down, and not worrying about the light rig unless it is a shallow bore

narey

Newly Enlightened

Are you sure it is correct?lol

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Huge business opportunity there.
You've gotta move to re-claim costs on that product, who's negligent idea was bundling 8 twist-lights...

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Wow, I think you got scammed.

Either that, or Maglite has done a far better job than even we have suspected of convincing the norms that they are the best & only game in the world for quality lights. :wow: