Shocked and Appalled to Extremes

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
well, i don't know yet what to do with this but i assure you on my honer that the following is the truth.

Tonight at work at around 9:15pm-

i am a bagger and was doing the closing dutys that i have each night( tonight was cleaning the breakroom among other things) and was cleaning the breakroom. this entails throwing away all the food items and other trash that does not have a note or reciept with it. it is the rule and my job to dispose of all leftovers that do not have a tag.
in the smokeroom( part of the breakroom) i came across -amongst other trash - 3 cigerettes and a lighter. puzzled i looked around for the owner and noone could be seen so i threw away the cigerettes and put the lighter in my pocket (this is not stealing - the store allows it) and continued cleaning.

Tonight at work at around 9:30pm-

as i finished the bathrooms i passed my asst. manager david and he said "you didnt throw away my 3 cigerettes and lighter , did you?"

I informed him that they were not marked and therefore i deemed them as trash. " I do however have the lighter- i dont throw away lighters." i said as i gave it to him hoping that would cheer him up. it didnt.

he said a few not nice things and i informed him that i was only doing my job and that " the rules applied to the management as well"

At that he fumed that " you dont understand - im quiting smoking and those were my last three cigerettes - now i have to buy a whole new pack!". which he did .

i went back to work since i knew i would get nowhere with him and was quite frankly afraid he might ring my neck any moment. literally.

Tonight at work at around 9:55pm-

i punch out and walk over to my bike( i ride to work. i have not got my licence yet) and reach for my helmet .....and grab air. its gone. "awww , mannnn"- i think - " i hope this aint what i think it is."

i put away my assumtions for a second and go ask a coworker - donna - if she has seen my helmet. the answer is: negative. she then asks if i think someone stole it.

i say no and tell her my suspicions.
she is surprised and says that maybe i should go talk to david.

I clock back in then go ask david . he says [voice wavering with angst] that he " deemed the helmet as trash."

2 things occur to me at this moment

1 that i must keep my temper so i can have a good case if i need to call corperate.

2 that searching the dumster is the last thing i want to do at ten at night.

I then say to him " so if i get the right then i need to check the trash cans around the store and the dumster. "

"yep"

" ok " i say " but i want you to know that i clocked back in and that the search is on the company's time."

after an fruitless search i returned and told him to tell me where it is or i would take it to corperate.

his reply was - and im not lieing - " i was going to give it back to you but now im not - shut up and go away."

i then went to call my parents to pick me up and on the way to the phone something made me recheck a trashcan. lo and behold there was the helmet at the bottom of the can. david came out grinning ear to ear and stood there as i reached in and got it.

i told him i was still gonna call and he told me to "shut up - i dont care"

-------------------------------------------------

So that is where i am. I think it is a shame to see a grown man act so immature.

Danger_Mouse

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the worst job I've ever had...

I would have simply told him that I was going to call the police and report it as stolen. I would have then informed him that he did admit to it, and if it did turn up in a trash can with his fingerprints on it... =)

But I tend to like to make people sweat it out.

K A

Enlightened
And I agree with you Aragon. You were only doing your job cleaning out the breakrooms. What he did was very childish and I am glad to hear that you kept your calm. If the General Manager is there tomorrow it is my humble opinion you are well within your rights to file a complaint against this AM. He had no right to take your helmet, that is downright theivery.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stopping smoking can be extremly difficult...does not excuse his imature behavior though. Anyway...sees how you sort of got to get along with the guy...buy him a pack of smokes and tell him you understand how difficult stopping can be and your sorry. That ought to make him feel like an ***. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
Since nobody was watching I would have stuffed his damn pack of cigarettes down his throat... What an a**hole. After rethinking it maybe you should buy him another pack - that'll get him in the long run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would want do do is wring his throat out, but you should just report him to his superior. No sense in getting yourself fired by doing anything stupid.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
jealous of your l4? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

that really sucks man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

once again, you have shown an amazing level of self-restriant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
Look for his cigarettes again and throw them away again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A friend of mine hid my cell phone because "I was talking too much" (on a business call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ) and said he would give it to me tomarrow. I yelled some things at him, he still wouldn't give it to me, so I called the police. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Then he thought I was lying about the police, so I didn't get it until the cop got there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

leddite

Enlightened
wow. that guy sounds sociopathic to me, or what?

seeing as how no "real damage" was done, and you got payed to seardch, i might let it be, this time.

however, i *would* document it, time/date and write an official incident report, to hold onto in case this guy does anything stupid again.

you could inform him privately that touching someone's ride is extremely not cool and will not be forgotten. assuing you think that would help.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That's almost as bad as getting a 30¢ check from somebody. Can't even get a stamp with the silly thing, let alone buy some cigerettes to give you to shove down that guy's throat. If he's quitting, probably not a good idea to light them first. Just shove those {vulgar term for intercourse}ers down that little toliethole mouth of his. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
leddite said:
...however, i *would* document it, time/date and write an official incident report, to hold onto in case this guy does anything stupid again....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also documented here.

BN

Tomas

Banned
Check your pay well, Aragorn. Make sure you get paid for that search time, and take it up the line if he tries to kill it.

T_sig6.gif

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
... but I thought David lived in Florida, Aragorn ...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif :lol:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, hindsite is always 20/20 and I don't know what I would have done at the time but I agree with Danger Mouse's post about threatening to call the police. My bike helmut cost me $70.

Darkaway

Enlightened
While it's still fresh in your mind, document everything that happened. Times, places, names of witnesses (if any), anything that is relevant. Then submit a formal, written complaint about this guy to upper management. It will be much easier for him to get rid of you than for you to get rid of him. That's why you must bring this situation to the attention of his superiors first.

On the other hand, and just to play the devil's advocate here, why exactly did you throw those items away? I would not classify cigarettes and a lighter (that I assume functions) in a designated smoking area as trash. If David is your supervisor you must surely know that he smokes, and you may even know what brand. Could you have waited until you saw him again to ask about the items before you discarded them? He was probably working in the store when you tossed the smokes because you spoke to him only 15 minutes later. Even though there was no note on the items, a reasonable person would think that the owner may come back to pick them up fairly soon since it was near closing time. Store rules aside (there are reasonable exceptions to almost every rule. You're young and you may not have learned to use reasonable discretion when enforcing rules), could you not have just neatly left them in a corner of the break room?

I know I'm making some assumptions here and I'm sorry to question your motives. But I used to be a cop and I was trained to question the (seemingly) obvious.

Don't get me wrong, nothing that you did can justify David's unprofessional and immature actions.

Of course you can try this. Approach him in a respectful manner. Ask him to sit down with you and talk man to man about your differences. Work things out. Too many conflicts are simply the result of poor communication. When you are finished talking, offer to shake his hand. You may be amazed at the results you will get.

makar

Enlightened
sorry to hear what happened to you!
i think you should go to the chief of this asst. manager david and tell him the story. i think in times where most companies take care of acting like a team your report will show effect. after a story like this it will show the big chief that this guy doesn't have the ability to lead other employees. i think your story will reduce this guys chances for promotion.
greets marc

TOB9595

Enlightened
In a righteous world you would all be right. That the manager should be reported. I agree with this but I've been round the block and would have called the cops and filed a report.

The reality may be that you get hassled or fired if you bring this up the chain.

At around 16 years old you can't plot to take the lighter and cigs again or set off the sprinkler system when he smokes, or let the air out of his tires (puncture) opposing sides of the car with a wood block with nails so when the car moves, or find some other way to screw him and let him know without proof that he shouldn't screw with you.

Stay nice. Let it go.
Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I carry around a voice recorder - for things like these. Sorry for your misfortune with that <uh, insert bad, bad term here>.

Dan