Surefire 8AX vs. 8NX

jnc36rcpd

Newly Enlightened
I've used one of the old Surefire 8X's as my duty light for several years. I've been considering upgrading to a more ergonomic 8AX or 8NX. Is there any difference in these lights besides the price? I'm willing to pay for quality, but, all things considered, I wouldn't mind saving forty bucks and some weight on my gunbelt. Thanks and be safe.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exept for the body (8AX redesigned aluminum/8NX Nylotron polymer), they're all the same light. I think the 8AX has a Pyrex lens. The 8NX may also.

For weight saving, i'd suggest the 8NX. I'm not a fan of the 8-series, so I don't use one, anymore, on duty.

--dan

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 8AX because of the the metal toughness. I bought the 8NX for a gift because of cost savings and then later realized the body is tough as nails. Probably the 8AX would bend under pressure before the 8NX would break. However I wouldn't buy either of these lights because of the battery issues. Even if eventually solved, I think the use of the Nicads with their limited capacity and very limited ability to store the charge over any long term amount of time to be arcaic as to what is offered now by other manufacturers.

arioch

Enlightened
I have owned the original 8x for several years, and after purchasing a new battery for it (the battery it originally came with might have been defective or old), liked it a lot. I then purchased an 8ax about a year ago. It is slightly larger in length and diameter than the 8x, and has more of a tactical look, but is pretty much the same (same battery, same lamp, same light output, etc.). Also, the 8ax beam pattern is different (larger, more "blended" hotspot than the 8x). I then bought the 8nx. Similar in almost all respects to the 8ax. I did return to the 8x, however; the 8nx and 8ax are kept as backups.

I did drop the 8ax at one point, and the pyrex lens cracked ... I called SF CS, and they promptly shipped me a new bezel/lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

In terms of duty light use, I couldn't tell you a big difference between the ax and the nx. Moneywise, the nx is considerably cheaper, and just as durable as the ax.

That being said, although I really like my 8x, and the 8ax and 8nx are decent lights, did you consider possibly getting a SL TL3led? Output of 85 lumens is just a little less output than the SF 8 series at 105 lumens. No need to pay $25+ for replacement lamps, and estimated runtime is 4 hours at high brightness, with 50 hours at decreasing brightness. It uses CR123 batteries, but with SF brand batteries, a change of batteries would run about $4.50. Cost range for the SL TL3led is $105-120, which is about what the 8nx would cost, and less than the 8ax. I ordered one last week, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Just thought you might want to explore your options in a midsized duty light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif With the money you're looking to spend, you do have several to look at.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. - In all things Surefire, you might want to P.M. Size15s, our resident SF go to guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I just got an 8AX a few weeks ago that has the latest batteries (CM17 code) and they seem to be working well. The seller estimated the batteries were six weeks old when I got it. I did a runtime test without topping off the original factory charge and got 40 minutes before dimming.