The Ultrastinger throws farther than you might think!

bwcaw

Enlightened
I was just outside tonight, playing with some of
my flashlights, and happened to shine the US
at a train about a mile and a half away. And it
lit up those little reflectors that they put on
the sides of the cars! Granted, you could not
illuminate the cars, only the reflectors, but
still, that is quite a long haul for such a
small light! I would like to see you do that
with an SF M6! I tried it with my 12Z, with the
Mn61 in it, and it lit up a lot more area, but it
didn't quite make it to the train. Man, the US
is one AWESOME light! SL really got this one
right!
icon14.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was playing with mine the other night, the first time I've been able to use it at a distance in near total darkness. Next time I'll take my binoculars along, since it lights up objects too far away to make out the details.
I almost wish it had a fully textured reflector now (assuming that would give a fuller spot with less range), since it has more throw than I can actually use for anything but fun-how was I to know it would be so much fun throwing that beam at stuff so far away, though? It gave me a greater appreciation for the US, and its abilities, but also for some of the other "high performance" lights I see discussed that don't throw as far, but put out a wider beam.
Killer light, and only $65, since I already had AC/DC chargers for the Stinger.
Very satisfied with my US...ecstatic would be more like it
smile.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOOOHHHH MAAAANN!!! There you guys go again....now i want one! I think i'm going to go with the Ultrastinger rather than the Tigerlight because of the US's ability to focus. I don't thing that the Tigerlight can focus.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine at tight focus easily out-throws an M6 or 10X! Like bwcaw said about his 12ZM, my M6 & 10X put out a lot of light compared to the US, but the US will throw farther than you can see without binoculars. Granted, this isn't of much use at tightest focus, but the fact that you can set the focus the way you want is nice.

LEDagent,
Want to buy mine?
smile.gif
Fully textured reflector & AC/DC chargers.

I want a Tigerlight!
grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Oh yeah! It is a long throwing light, but not
really usefull unless you live out in a rural
area like I do. It is the perfect rechargeable for
me. Just the other night, I noticed a car pulling
into the driveway, after dark, (this is highly
unusual out here) so I grabbed the US and ran out
the door to see what they were doing. I shined the
US on the car from about 25 yards away, and you
could see the guys in the car putting their hands
over their eyes.
grin.gif
It is really nice for that
because if you shine a US on a car, they know that
you need an explanation!

I really don't know what I did before I had
the US, it goes with me every time I step out the
door at night, unless I am going into town, then
the 12Z is more usefull because of its smaller
size, and lighter weight. And for all you people
who are worried about it's durability, I wouldn't.
I have dropped mine several times from about three
to four feet, onto concrete, and hard packed
gravel, and the only damage was a little scuff on
the anodizing. I think that little red O-ring in
the head works as a sort of shock isolation system. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by bwcaw:
Oh yeah! It is a long throwing light...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm, I don't have one, but I guess I could throw it pretty far. Its fairly long, right? So I could get up a pretty good swing with it.

Or did you mean something else?
tongue.gif

Graham

bwcaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by Light-Headed:
Sounds like a
great light.
How come
your typed
lines are so
short bwcaw?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know. I just type inside the little box,
and they come out short. Must just be me.

I suppose you could throw the US quite far, but I havent tried it yet. Hey Graham, when you get one, please tell us how far you can pitch it.
grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
OK, you guys convinced me to try the UltaStinger. I just ordered the "UltraStinger Fast" from BrightGuy. What reflector should I expect to get? Is it the one with the dimples closest to the lamp and smooth at the lens end?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
sean....were you serious about selling your Ultrastinger to me? Because i'm serious about buying one. Please email me or PM me if you really want to sell it. THanks!

Tombeis

Enlightened
Nascar:

The last time I stopped at Brightguy's store, the Ultrastingers were all the latest model with the half and half reflector. I think you will like it.

I bought two for a friend and he is extreamly happy with the beam.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, i bought one (2 actually, bought another one for a friend but i used his credit card) from brightguy and they were both the half and half. beautiful! i love the us and i suggest you order from brightguy.

oh, and aragorn, please tell me about your vintage surefire...and how much did you pay for it??

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my take. I would say the US may out throw some of the SF lights like the M6, X10 and the 4 cell lights with a MN60, but at 300 yards all three of the SF putout a useful amount of light and the US does not. Don't get me wrong I still love my US.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

you guys just won't know what you're missing till you see the Easterseals Headlite III in action using a Carley bulb..I have a Surefire PM and an Ultrastinger, and the Easterseals puts out a tighter beam, shaped kinda like the beam coming out of a Maxabeam really.. and though the spot isn't as big as the US it absolutely goes as far..maybe further, I'll double check tonight weather permitting..it may be even brighter with a fully charged battery pack -- here's the particulars;
(added: one fault; you have to wrap black tape around the bezel to stop light leakage into your eyes..easy fix..)
------------
ADDED:
OK I went out just now with the recently charged HeadliteIII and the Ultrastinger and the HeadliteIII threw further and brighter albeit in a smaller spot than the US; fine with me
smile.gif

------------
"..Easter Seal "Headlite III" $55.00
It looks the same, but it's vastly improved!
A Willie Hunt LVR3 microprocessor controls the light output, holding the brightness steady for the life of the batteries. A touch of the push-button micro-switch soft-starts the xenon-halogen bulb and cycles through 4 brightness levels. Provides 8 hours of light on highest setting, longer on lower settings. When batteries are exhausted, the lamp flickers to let you know you have 20 minutes to find new ones. New battery pack holds 5 AA cells (not included). Segmented cord allows use of a larger waist battery pack (coming soon). Spare bulb in head. Waterproof. Wgt. 14 oz. incl. batteries. Made in USA..."

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
it would be nice if there was a side by side beamshot review of the US with the fully textured reflector and the new half and half reflector...

I saw the new type today at Galyeons for $99.99 (ac charger) and now I'm wondering whether getting a half and half US would be needed. I have the older fully textured, and am VERY happy with it.

JB

Enlightened
So there are 3 types of reflectors for the US?

1. I have an old model which is fully smooth (like a mag)
2. I have a newer one which is half-half (dimpled near the bulb and orange peel texture the other half)

Is there an even newer reflector that is full orange peel textured?