Send a postcard for my son's education

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello my fellow CPF'ers.

I have a bit of an unusual request/favor to ask of you. Could I get a CPF member from each of our great states to send my son a state postcard? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as the postcard has the state name on the front (and is appropriate for a 7 year old).

My wife home schools our son, and for 2nd grade they are doing a unit on the 50 states. They will spend some time learning interesting facts about each state, it's history, entry into the union and will make a recipe associated with the state. (My wife was a teacher before we had our son, so she has got it dialed in!)

If you could post which state you will send a post card from, I will put your user name next to the state in the original post to indicate that we have that state covered, and indicate when we get the postcard. Also, if you could include a simple message with an interesting fact about where you live, or about why you like your state, that would be excellent.

Alabama
Alaska - fishinfool - Received 6/25/10. Thank you!
Arizona
Arkansas
California - Chauncey Gardner
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii - fishinfool - Received 6/5/10. Thank you!
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana - DoctaDink - Received 6/4/10. Thank you!
Maine
Maryland - ODatsBright - Received 8/25/10. Thank you!
Massachusetts -OscarTheDog
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio -YAK-28 - Received 6/28/10. Thank you!
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania - ninemm
Rhode Island
South Carolina - TedTheLED
South Dakota
Tennessee - tnathletics2b
Texas - Dave Keith - Received 6/5/10. The Texas book is awesome. Thank you!!! (We are using the GA book for our state.)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia - kitelights
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Please address the post card to

NathanAdd.jpg

Thank you CPF! :thumbsup:

Derek

Other countries from which we received postcards:

Canada - Bobyn
Wales - march.brown
Iceland - RedfishBluefish

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Derek,

I'll send one from California & the mountainous, volcanic north end of the state.

Last conflict between the US cavalry & the Indians was up here (Modoc Indian War) at a bed of volcanic caves & tubes. Some other interesting stuff too.

Nice project! Home schooling is the way to go.

tnathletics2b

Newly Enlightened
I have to live up to the reputation of the Volunteer State, so I will send one from Chattanooga, TN!

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Congrats on homeschooling. A great method, that takes commitment, but can yield great results. Hang in there, and have fun. Will try to send this on a post card.
Louisiana,

• The home of the Superbowl Champion New Orleans Saints;

• Previous National Champion LSU Tigers;

• Worlds tastiest cuisine - including, Gumbo, Jambalaya, Boudin sausage, Shrimp Poboys, Boiled Crawfish, fried Alligator tail, etc. ;

• World famous and unique Jazz, Cajun, Creole, Zydeco, Swamp Pop music;

• Parishes instead of Counties;

• Napoleonic law rather than Common Law;

• Some of the most notable natural and man made disaster - Hurricane Katrina, and BP Oil Spill.;

• Colorful Politics (and historically corrupt);

• Cajun French language;
  • Shaped like a boot

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek,

I'll send one from California & the mountainous, volcanic north end of the state.

Last conflict between the US cavalry & the Indians was up here (Modoc Indian War) at a bed of volcanic caves & tubes. Some other interesting stuff too.

Nice project! Home schooling is the way to go.
Thank you. We have been homeschooling our son since he was 3 years old. He was eager to learn, and was ready for formal education. He has excelled in all of his subjects, and is extremely outgoing. Those are some interesting facts that I didn't know.

I have to live up to the reputation of the Volunteer State, so I will send one from Chattanooga, TN!
Thank you. We are practically neighbors.

Congrats on homeschooling. A great method, that takes commitment, but can yield great results. Hang in there, and have fun. Will try to send this on a post card.
Louisiana,

• The home of the Superbowl Champion New Orleans Saints;
  • Previous National Champion LSU Tigers;
  • Worlds tastiest cuisine - including, Gumbo, Jambalaya, Boudin sausage, Shrimp Poboys, Boiled Crawfish, fried Alligator tail, etc. ;
  • World famous and unique Jazz, Cajun, Creole, Zydeco, Swamp Pop music;
  • Parishes instead of Counties;
  • Napoleonic law rather than Common Law;
  • Some of the most notable natural and man made disaster - Hurricane Katrina, and BP Oil Spill.;
  • Colorful Politics (and historically corrupt);
  • Cajun French language;
  • Shaped like a boot
Thank you. It is difficult, but my wife is an awesome teacher. Those are some excellent facts that will certainly be appreciated. I am really sad for the damage that your state has seen from the oil spill.

I can send one from Canada. :rolleyes: Fun fact: It snowed last night.
Thank you. While not a U.S. state, a post card from our northern neighbor is certainly welcome. Snow?!?

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll send one from PA! So, this can't be any old Postcard it has to have a "From the Great State of PA" sort of design on it?

Bobyn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. While not a U.S. state, a post card from our northern neighbor is certainly welcome. Snow?!?

For sure, I'll send one out on Monday. And ya....Snow. Three inches of the stuff! And its May 28th!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll send one from PA! So, this can't be any old Postcard it has to have a "From the Great State of PA" sort of design on it?
Thank you. I was born in PA, but moved to Florida when I was 1. If the post card said Pennsylvania on it somewhere, that would be great.

Count me in for VA.
Thank you. A lot of great history in VA. Williamsburg is a trip for a later school year.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm in California and that seems to be covered. I could send one from the state I spend the most time in, state of confusion.:thinking:
Frank

OscarTheDog

Enlightened
Count Me In For Massachusetts ill see what i can find great history here in this commonwealth. Just finished a wicked thunder storm. Also a Padres Fan

OTD

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count Me In For Massachusetts ill see what i can find great history here in this commonwealth. Just finished a wicked thunder storm. Also a Padres Fan

OTD

Thank you. I've only been to Boston once other than passing though, and am still have good memories of visiting Faneuil Hall with my sister and brother-in-law.

We will be visiting Massachusetts when our son is older to check out some historical sites from the founding of our country. I doubt that Faneuil Hall will be on our itinerary, though.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Aloha! I'll be sending one from Hawaii out tomorrow. My sister from Alaska is visiting me in about 3 weeks and I'll have her bring one with her if no one else from Alaska sends you a post card. :wave:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aloha! I'll be sending one from Hawaii out tomorrow. My sister from Alaska is visiting me in about 3 weeks and I'll have her bring one with her if no one else from Alaska sends you a post card. :wave:

Thank you. A postcard from paradise. When I lived in Florida, I was a fishin' fool, too. Now that Georgia is my home, I have pretty much given up fishing. I don't do lake fish.