Surefire 6PDL w/M61 or Surefire E2DL ?

Talldog77656

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between a SF E2DL Defender at 5/200 lumens, or a SF 6PDL with a Malkoff M61 drop in.

Cost is about the same, $140.00 ish for the E2DL or $80 for the 6PDL plus $70 for the M61.

I really like the E2DL and it gets great reviews, but the 260 lumens from the M61 is tempting.

For you guys that have the E2DL and the M61 in another host, are you satisfied with the E2DL output. Also, does the E2DL have more "throw" or more "spill".

Thanks

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I don't have either light but the E2DL uses a TIR optic which focuses most of the beam into a tight, bright, hotspot.

The beam is more throw than spill.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Definitely the 6PDL w/ M61. More flexibile powering options (incl boring for 18mm LiIons, yeilding far more runtime than is possible in the 6PDL), and more upgradeable over the long term.

Also many reports that the beam configuration of the Malkoff M61 is more useful overall than from the SF TIR optic (which is nice for throw outdoors but is of less use indoors IMO).

curtispdx

Enlightened
In the Surefire/M61 configuration you won't have the hi/low option, I think, but you will be able to run RCRs with it.

The E2DL has the hi/low and it sounds like people are running them with the RCRs but I'm not sure I'd try it with my own. The runtime is pretty darn good as is.

I was playing around with my E2DL at work last night and I think it could be used as my primary light, taking the place of my 2X18650/P91 setup.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Gene's stuff and have owned a M61 (and currently own a couple of M60LLs) but the E2DL is SWEET. (However, you might not like the aggressive crenelations and the clip is awful. Also, some don't like that it defaults to high then you have to step it down to low which is perfect for a light that's aimed for, I presume, cops. If you want low then high then the LX2 would be a good choice.)

My two cents. ;)

PS: If you opt for the M61 I'd steer you toward the MD2 body and the hi/low switch.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would opt for the M61, but I'm also not a huge fan of klingon flashlights at the best of times.

The E2DL, sans spikes, is a great multi-purpose flashlight.

By comparison, the M61 is too powerful to be anything but a dedicated tool. Sure, you _could_ use it to check under the bed for your slippers...

-Trevor

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
You using this light outdoors or indoors? Any specific uses? Like inspecting machinery or something like that?

I'd say that the E2DL is tough to beat for any outdoor use, or if you are indoors inspecting structural items that are not right in front of you. The low is low enough to get around and the high is impossible to beat without some compromise. You would be stuck with the emitter though. With the M61, you know that there will always be something newer, better, brighter, etc coming out and that you can easily sell anything "malkoff" on the CPF BST forums without much monetary loss at all, meaning that you can buy into the light and stay on the bleeding edge of emitter tech without much additional cost. The 6PDL w/ M61 is 1 level output only as well. I think you have to get a malkoff body to get the 2 level ring, but I might be wrong.

I don't have an E2DL, but I have the LX2, which is the same emitter, output, and optic, and have to say that the "low" setting is still too bright. If the E2DL had similar user interface to the LX2, I'd get the E2DL and grind the teeth off the front of it. The TIR optic on the E2DL/LX2 is just an absolute throw monster for a stock, mass-produced light. Had fun finding out just how "alive" the woods are after dark the other night, lots of critters looking back at me.:huh:

Last edited:

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide............ that's why I have both. :)

They are both flashlight in their own rights. E2DL somehow to me has an advantage over M61 because it has dual mode, and the bezel is just an awesome piece of defensive art. BTW, the newer 200 Lumen ones really kicks out 240 lumen OTF, I have an older E2DL purchased just last year that adv with 120 lumen that kicks out 180 OTF.

jonesy

Enlightened
I started off with a 6P with a malkoff, hated the fact that there ws no low mode, and contemplated getting either an LX2 or E2DL, and ended up with a Malkoff MD2 w/ high-low ring, pocket clip, and I couldn't be happier. It allows rechargables, sits low in the pocket, and there is little to no way to mess up using the UI. Plus you can always update the emitter as newer stuff comes along (warm white M61 please?).

Best of all worlds IMO.

Talldog77656

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I should have mentioned that I really need the strike bezel for those JIC situations.

I really wish Gene would offer a strike bezel option on the MD2 and the Wildcat. Maybe he will in the future.

I guess I'm leaning towards the 6PDL so I can use the Malkoff drop ins. But, that E2DL is sweet too...I think the tactical grip on the E2DL would provide a little better grip.

It's tough to decide

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
have you considered an olight M20 variant

3 levels and strobe(250lumen or more), takes 18650, fwd clicky, accessories

unless your stuck on surefire its worth considering

sfca

Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between a SF E2DL Defender at 5/200 lumens, or a SF 6PDL with a Malkoff M61 drop in.

Cost is about the same, $140.00 ish for the E2DL or $80 for the 6PDL plus $70 for the M61.

I really like the E2DL and it gets great reviews, but the 260 lumens from the M61 is tempting.

For you guys that have the E2DL and the M61 in another host, are you satisfied with the E2DL output. Also, does the E2DL have more "throw" or more "spill".

Thanks

I've had both -
It depends on your use and how you'll carry it:

E2DL + LX2 clip = awesome for pocket carry. The crenelated back end just peeks out.
Will take RCR123 albeit with short runtime and also a bit brighter!

6PDL, well holster carry would be better.
More options to upgrade in the future but depending on how LED technology advances, those upgrades may heat up very fast.

Consider making a lego: 6PDL head + C2 body & clip + 6PDL clicky = awesome! I have this.

If you want to save money (smart thing to do) - E2DL for sure LOL!

Oh yeah - painfullness of E2DL crenelations >> 6PDL. The rear crenelations can also be helpful depending on your training.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't decide............ that's why I have both. :)

They are both flashlight in their own rights. E2DL somehow to me has an advantage over M61 because it has dual mode, and the bezel is just an awesome piece of defensive art. BTW, the newer 200 Lumen ones really kicks out 240 lumen OTF, I have an older E2DL purchased just last year that adv with 120 lumen that kicks out 180 OTF.

Exactly, get both (you can always sell the other one later) If you are still unsure, get both slightly used from the Marketplace to try and test.

E2DL + LX2 clip = awesome for pocket carry. The crenelated back end just peeks out.
Will take RCR123 albeit with short runtime and also a bit brighter!

6PDL, well holster carry would be better.
More options to upgrade in the future but depending on how LED technology advances, those upgrades may heat up very fast.

Oh yeah - painfullness of E2DL crenelations >> 6PDL. The rear crenelations can also be helpful depending on your training.

Yes the LX2 almost looks like it was designed for the E2DL, got my E2DL set up this way too. If you don't want the crenelations to poke you, I'd suggest getting a F04 diffuser (handy accessory) to cover the front of the light.

On the other hand, the 6PDL is the most upgradeable of the two. Since it uses a P60 drop-in you can put in almost any P60 module on the market today and upgrade the module whenever you like.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first decided I wanted a surefire, I thought I wanted a 6P defender. Once I got in the store and felt how big it was I walked out with the E2D.

I know have a G2 but it's just something that I keep handy around the house. I find the 6P size too bulky. The E's on the other hand are next to perfect.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LX2 (similar to the E2DL) and a MD2 with the M61.

Best all around light goes to the M61 combo. Loses points for being a single level light, but the beam pattern and coverage is SO much more usefull from close up to distances out to 100 feet or so. Having a 18650 option is great as well.

Best outdoor/spotting light goes to the LX2. It has a nice tight beam that can reach way out there.

Get both. They are different enough that you could find uses for both.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Having played extensively with the E2DL, I have to say that the MD2/M61/hi-low ring is the best way to go. The beam is far more useful than the E2DL's, even in spite of having a bit less throw. Another advantage is that the Malkoff setup is a few bucks less expensive than the E2DL.

I went through the strike bezel phase as well. It was cool, but then I realized that it's a flashlight, not a martial arts weapon. Granted, a standard 6P or MD2 can make a good kubaton, with proper training.

sfca

Enlightened
Having played extensively with the E2DL, I have to say that the MD2/M61/hi-low ring is the best way to go. The beam is far more useful than the E2DL's, even in spite of having a bit less throw. Another advantage is that the Malkoff setup is a few bucks less expensive than the E2DL.

Yes, but the question with the 6P is, will it just stop at the Malkoff? :laughing:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to echo what some have already said I own the E2DL but not the M61. I have read enough about the M61 that it is more of a medium range with large bright spill and the E2DL is a large hotspot with good throw with useful enough spill. So I guess it would come down to what beam type you want more bright spill or longer throw.

Like also already mentioned these are such popular lights and hold there value so well that if you could buy both up front and then decide which to keep you could turn around and sell the other at the Marketplace and probably not lose much at all.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
6PDL or a 6P for the win. Bored for an 18650 or with the RCR123s. Here is mine with Z59 clicky with Moddoos "thin run" tumbled clip, Xeno SS plain bezel, Malkoff M60 on AW RCR123s. If you want teeth on your bezel they are also available crenelated and also in black.
DSC02987.jpg

civic77

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the E2DL. A really nice addition that you can add to it is buy a F04 beamshaper. It gives the E2DL two different beams in the same flashlight.

The throw is stronger than the M61 from what I could gather and it is over 200 otf lumens, very bright. I love the giant spot beam and adding the F04 turns it into an amazing flood light, perfect for indoors. Also keeping the F04 on the E2DL keeps the crenelations from tearing your pockets and keeps the lens clean while not in use.

Also it is smaller than the 6P, which seems larger than I personally prefer carrying in my pockets.

Lastly the E2DL can tailstand and the offers two modes with very long runtimes on low.

Also good luck getting a M61, I've been waiting the last two months and they are always sold out.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
6PDL or a 6P for the win. Bored for an 18650 or with the RCR123s. Here is mine with Z59 clicky with Moddoos "thin run" tumbled clip, Xeno SS plain bezel, Malkoff M60 on AW RCR123s. If you want teeth on your bezel they are also available crenelated and also in black.
DSC02987.jpg

+1 on this setup! :thumbsup: It's P60 based format for me...so much flexibility, upgrades and mods.