6*Cree M@g 2D

Hill

Enlightened
I don't see many of these builds on CPF anymore, but it was my first intro to m@g modding (and to becoming a flashaholic). This build was planned as a 4*Cree Q5, but evolved into a 6*Cree Q5 upon completion. The original build thread is here (with crappy phone camera pics). The learning curve has taken me through several burned out emitters, drivers (blue shark, maxflex, d2flex) and is now a 6 x li-on dd build with d2flex dimming. Emitters are wired in series and pull >1A on freshly charged AW 14500 cells producing and estimated 1200 lumens. Beam profile is pretty tight with ample side spill thanks to the Fraen Cree reflectors which needed to be trimmed to fit. The center reflector required considerable filing to squeeze in.

Specs
2D M@g host (stock)
6 x Cree Q5
Fraen Cree reflectors
Perfect M@gD heatsink
D2flex (DD with dimming)
FM 6AA adapter
AW 6 x 14500 cells

Picture028.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Fraen reflectors. (left to right) stock, modded, cut down for center emitter
Picture024.jpg

Close-up of beamshot on lowest setting showing individual emitter beam profiles.
Picture029.jpg

Beamshot on high
Picture031.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool :twothumbs

Another homemade heatsink ?

The most I have put in a Mag head is 5 x XREs using McR17 reflectors
Im too chicken to even try to cut down a reflector, too worried that I
might damage the reflector coating.

BTW Hill, I have just received a package from Download :naughty:
Better start building .... tomorrow :D

Hill

Enlightened
Cool :twothumbs

Another homemade heatsink ?

The most I have put in a Mag head is 5 x XREs using McR17 reflectors
Im too chicken to even try to cut down a reflector, too worried that I
might damage the reflector coating.

BTW Hill, I have just received a package from Download :naughty:
Better start building .... tomorrow :D

No, forgot to add that spec. It's a "perfect" heatsink from the Shop. I was not familiar w/custom parts at that early time in my flashaholism.

Those reflectors were plastic ones from Cutter. At $1 each, not a big deal to ruin one. I had extras since the shipping cost was a killer.

Are those parts for your quad XPG w/the new reflectors? I am jealous! I'm not happy with the way my optics are rattling around in my quad build. I'm looking at a Barbolight bombproof light at CPFM. It is slightly larger in diameter than the magC head and should fit 4 x LXP RS optics with the holders. May just be a pipe dream at this point...

Dave the rookie

Newly Enlightened
hey man,

Great work!
say how did you connect those batteries there, i have a 6Dm@g can i use the same techinque? should i use more emitters? where did you put that driver?

Hill

Enlightened
hey man,

Great work!
say how did you connect those batteries there, i have a 6Dm@g can i use the same techinque? should i use more emitters? where did you put that driver?

Batteries are in a Fivemega 6AA->2D adapter sold here. They slide into the stock light without further modification.

To power 6 x Cree in series requires 6 x 3.6V = 26.6V. If you are using 6 x D-cell li-on cells, then yes, you can do the same build. But if you are planning with NiMh, it will not supply enough voltage.

Driver is located in the space between the switch and heatsink. If you search the forum for maglite mods, you will find plenty of pictures.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Batteries are in a Fivemega 6AA->2D adapter sold here. They slide into the stock light without further modification.

What are you using to charge the 6 AA lithium-ion cells? I am assuming that you have to pull them out of the Fivemega holder.

Really nice build!

Cheers,
Battery Guy

Hill

Enlightened
What are you using to charge the 6 AA lithium-ion cells? I am assuming that you have to pull them out of the Fivemega holder.

Really nice build!

Cheers,
Battery Guy

Thanks!! Yes, I need to take them out and can only charge two at a time in a dual bay li-on charger. Takes a while but I don't have a fancy hobby charger that I could charge them in the holder.