Best Light for Safariland RLS

flashfiend

Enlightened
So I want to try this Flashlight Recommendation Checklist that I've never used even though now I have more lights than I should thanks to this forum. Of course now it's time to buy another light.

I'm looking for a light that will fit a Safariland Rapid Light System

RLS_mount-ani.gif

Minimum Diameter: .970"
Maximum Diameter: 1.060"
Minimum Length: 1.500"

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $150.
____I'm flexible, tell we what you got.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (Probably my only choice in this size and the battery voltages I will have available)

6) Manufacturer:

____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this option can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (hard anodized) (this is the most common for today's flashlights).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

I'm looking for a light that will fit a Safariland Rapid Light System

I think that is everything. Now for your recommendations. lovecpf

Last edited:

cvx5832

Newly Enlightened
Re: Suggestions for Safariland RLS

Interesting. Thanks for the link, looks like it would fit my Glock well too. As far as a light suggestion, I think an HDS Clicky would fit that mount nicely.

Do you already own this mount? I'm also from the Bay Area, and would love to know where you got it if you got it from a local store. I was just at Guns & Fishing yesterday and I don't remember seeing any (interesting) flashlight-related stuff.

I hope this doesn't come across as a thread Jack, but I've been looking for a mount like this for a long time. I can't believe I didn't across this one until now.

Regards,
Paolo

flashfiend

Enlightened

Don't worry about a threadjack. I've danced that line way too many times myself. No, I don't own one yet and I would probably buy them from holsters.com. Safariland products haven't disappointed me yet. Funny coincidence is this will probably go on my Glock 19.

I've seen the HDS Clicky and it looks nice so I will keep it under consideration.

I hope I get more suggestions. I was getting ready to deem the form nearly useless. Sorry to say so.

cvx5832

Newly Enlightened

lapolicegear.com has them on sale right now + 15% on top of that for the Memorial Day sale. I've never ordered from them, but assuming they're ok to try, it's $30 bucks I'm willing to spend for some good flashlight fun.

I haven't been to the range in a couple months, but I'd be willing to shoot the living daylights out of the 17 with the Clicky and Haiku I just got. I expect it to be incident free, but a good excuse to get out to the range (and some flashlight goodness).

Regards,
Paolo

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
I think the Clicky would work perfectly for your needs. It fulfills all of your requirements (and exceeds them in some areas), but more importantly, it has certain features that make it ideal for this type of use. Namely, the battery is essentially shock-mounted to prevent any ill effects from the recoil (i.e. disconnection from the positive terminal) from a gun, which is exactly the kind of feature you need.

flashfiend

Enlightened

lapolicegear.com has them on sale right now + 15% on top of that for the Memorial Day sale. I've never ordered from them, but assuming they're ok to try, it's $30 bucks I'm willing to spend for some good flashlight fun.

I haven't been to the range in a couple months, but I'd be willing to shoot the living daylights out of the 17 with the Clicky and Haiku I just got. I expect it to be incident free, but a good excuse to get out to the range (and some flashlight goodness).

Regards,
Paolo

Finally ordered it. Thanks for the heads up on the deal. Now I'm trying to determine what length light will be ideal. I'm gonna try it with a 6p to size it up and decide from there. This is mainly for HD so even a 9p length body would be OK if it works better with my hand size and the Glock.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Finally got it and it looks like they are built for a Surefire 6p length light. Anything shorter will make it difficult to remove the tailcap for battery changes. I'll try it with my glock later tonight. I've read concerns about it not being a holsterable light but I'm wondering if the clip can work as a temporary holster in emergency HD situations. It's typical Safariland build quality so it's rock solid.

gifters

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to rebirth this thread because I love my Safariland RLS so much, I use it with my Fenix TK11, I'm working on setting it up with my 4Sevens Quark Turbo (AA2 and 18650) but I can't find all the stuff that came with it so I'll probably have to buy a couple more, one for each roll I plan on using it in.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm getting another one to mount my Dereelight DBS on my AR. I like the fact I don't have to dedicate my lights to weapon use only.

Also as a left-hander I'm able to use the clip as a makeshift clip-on holster for my pistol.

*This is only in home defense situation and if you choose to do the same be mindful that the trigger is not covered by a true holster.

Btw, is the AA quark wide enough to hold in the RLS?

Last edited:

gifters

Newly Enlightened
It is with the thinner rubber adapter strip that is comes with, I don't know how it will work with the 18650 tube when I get that or the CR123, I feel that the tube wont be wide enough and the shim or whatever you call it will be too thick.