arc aaa standard vs. premium beamshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
I have a arc aaa standard and was considering buying a second one.
I would like to see a comparison between the standard and premium.
Does anybody know where i could find a beam shot comparison?

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
The beam on my standard contains more blue than the beam on the premium.

It's just enough to be noticeable if you stood there and were looking for a difference.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/arcle.htm
arcle-4.jpg

hope that pic shows up

hideo

Enlightened
IMHO don't expect lightyears of difference--I own several of each and some seconds and the LEs definitely tend to be "warmer" ... maybe a little brighter, maybe not

the polished reflector on the newer versions makes more of a brightness diff with a little more "throw" at the expense of a gradual transition to the surround

on the other hand, the "Limited Edition" near the lanyard hole is pretty cool!

hideo

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my case the brightness isn't as different as gregw45's pic shows. The premium is brighter, but only slightly. Whats significantly different is the beam quality. It doesn't have the half moon blue artifact that is so common with Nichia LED's and the color is a little better too. Less blue. It still has a blue/white mottled center but it's not objectionable.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Keep in mind that every LED is different from the next. Brightness, beam pattern, and tint. ARC uses the best LEDs and hand sorts them, but LEDs are inconsistent, and small variances are acceptable. Same goes for the LS.

The Premium will have a warmer tint LED but it may or may not be brighter, as hideo pointed out. Peter has stated this himself.
Quote from thread "ARC LE worth extra$10??":
"The Premium uses a warmer tint than the Standard. Both are the same in brightness (on average) and run time."
Quote from "ARC AAA Premium - First Impressions":
"For most people, the less expensive standard version is the best deal."

The beam shot above of the Limited Edition unit is noticeably brighter than the standard, but that is not always the case. With another comparison of another set, the results may be different.

The Premiums ARE QC'd at a higher level, and you get the PREMIUM designation engraved on it.

I don't want to dissuade you from getting a Premium, just don't want you to think the PE is better by a large margin.

I've been very happy with the build quality and brightness of my standards, though, so I decided personally that I don't need an LE/PE.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I think i will just get another standard. I was just wondering whether or not the premium would be a lot brighter.

jacknimble

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe the premium AAA are engraved with any premium designation.

I've bought two (no standard to compare 'em to) and they don't seem to have any special markings.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have 5 AAA's. One is an LE, and its beam is smoother, but not really brighter. If the off center hotspot, or rings bother you, then get an LE, but dont get it for brightness.

Actually,,, you want a brighter AAA... get a turqoise led one, its ALOT brighter.

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I have both a Gray Body LE and a Maroon body CPF Arc triple A. The Gray one seems to me to have a perfect white spot and a larger "spill-over" of light about half as bright.
The Maroon CPF Edition is the same except for a very slight yellow "shape" at the four o'clock position. These are great lights! I received a new LSH-P about two weeks ago. I can't imagine better lights than these Arc's. Every time Peter & Merri put out a new model, I'll be ordering one~~of course, it'll be after all you who are more "well-versed" post reviews. (I'm *nearly 53 and I don't understand everything that gets posted. But I've ALWAYS loved great flashlights! I also enjoy being amazed. And, I'm AMAZED with my Arc's!)

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.