Maglite: Benefit of Additional Cell Flashlights Over Fewer Cell Lights?

RandolphCarter

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm new to this website, and I really like it! I've already learned very much and want to thank all of you that post good, intelligent information, thank you!

After using quite a few different Maglite AA-cell and D-Cell incandescent flashlights I got a really great deal on two Maglite 3-AA LED flashlights. Unfortunately, I don't really know much about how the extra cell benefits the light.

If I am correct from what I've learned here - and this is where I'm asking your help, the 3-AA light uses the same Luxeon Rebel LED as the 2-AA light so, if the difference between the new 2-AA LED and the 'old' 3-AA is basically the ability to control the light output to save energy, is the value of the 3-AA in that it only allows full output but it has the 3rd AA battery to help prolong it's endurance? Would the 3-AA also be brighter to begin with than the 2-AA?

As a side question, do flashlights with extra cells, i.e., 3-AA/2-AA, 3-D/2-D offer brighter light, longer endurance or both?

I apologize for the simplicity of the questions, but I need to begin asking somewhere.

Thank you for any and all help you may offer!

Sincerely,

Joe

carrot

Flashaholic
As far as I know the 3AA was never updated to the Luxeon Rebel LED. It uses the Luxeon III, a much older generation of LED, but one nice thing about it is that when the batteries run out it doesn't just go "kaput", it slowly dims down, giving you an opportunity to find new batteries for it before you're left in the dark.

The older LED 2AA suddenly completely goes out when the batteries are low, without warning. I assume this is the same of the new multi-mode (Rebel) 2AA, although I haven't seen runtime graphs.

The new multi-mode 2AA is almost certainly going to be brighter than the 3AA, on the basis of the (doubly improved) LED.

As to the question of brighter, longer endurance, or both, it depends completely on the manufacturer who designs or chooses the driver but often it is "both".