Difference between new MAG led 2d and old mag 2d led

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
What is the packaging difference between the new and the old, i was in walmart looking to buy one and i couldn't remember what the packaging difference was, so i wasn't sure if i was buying the new one with the rebel led in it. I read somewhere, i think it was on here that the new ones with the rebels are way better than the old 2D leds? Do they perform well?

tolkaze

Enlightened
New rebels outperform the old LED's. More performance, higher efficiency.

Not sure about the packaging, since I haven't seen one down here yet. If you can see inside the reflector, you will be able to tell if it is a lightbulb style dropin (old version) or the Rebel (new version) which you may be able to tell from the LED itself (you can see the die and dome, and a bit of gold tracing on the emitter board, google an image if you want to see what it looks like)

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
Yes i found out how to tell the difference, i picked up tonight and man i must say it is great for the price. It really has some throw to it, it out performed my 4d mag that i usually carry with me and it out performed it further when my 4d's bulb blew out! Mag has really done a good job with this, now if they can only get something in the 200-250 lumen range! Still prefer my Stinger Ds LED but for the price this is just as good!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
New rebels outperform the old LED's. More performance, higher efficiency.
Higher efficiency? Not likely. My 2-cell MagLED module in a 2D MagLite (essentially an early MagLED) draws around 860mA when cold while my 2-D Rebel MagLED draws 1660mA. That's almost twice the amp draw to get a 50-60 lumen advantage over the older, less efficient, version. Now, if you take a Seoul SSC P4 U-bin and swap that onto an older MagLED module then it will be approximately as bright as the Rebel light but with a larger hotspot due to the shallower reflector. Swap in an even more efficient emitter like an XP-G R4 or R5 and it will be brighter and last longer. That's one huge advantage that the older MagLED module has over the newer version of the light: the LED can be upgraded fairly easily. Add the lower amp draw, making the batteries last longer, and you have a winner, in my book. The one advantage that the Rebel MagLED has is that deep reflector giving you an even tighter hotspot for more throw.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Higher efficiency? Not likely. My 2-cell MagLED module in a 2D MagLite (essentially an early MagLED) draws around 860mA when cold while my 2-D Rebel MagLED draws 1660mA. That's almost twice the amp draw to get a 50-60 lumen advantage over the older, less efficient, version. Now, if you take a Seoul SSC P4 U-bin and swap that onto an older MagLED module then it will be approximately as bright as the Rebel light but with a larger hotspot due to the shallower reflector. Swap in an even more efficient emitter like an XP-G R4 or R5 and it will be brighter and last longer. That's one huge advantage that the older MagLED module has over the newer version of the light: the LED can be upgraded fairly easily. Add the lower amp draw, making the batteries last longer, and you have a winner, in my book. The one advantage that the Rebel MagLED has is that deep reflector giving you an even tighter hotspot for more throw.
tailcap current draw does not measure of efficiency make.

you're getting over 4x the brightness for (by your measurements) roughly twice the current draw. by definition, that AT LEAST twice as efficient. :whistle:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

you're getting over 4x the brightness for (by your measurements) roughly twice the current draw. by definition, that AT LEAST twice as efficient. :whistle:

I think in one of the Mag threads the 3D was shown better with the draw but not sure. I have the newer 3D Rebel LED Mag and it has some great throw. Got it for 11 ish on sale and for the money rocks. Also picked up the multi mode 2AA Rebel during the same sale and like it too.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

And by taking the older module and swapping the emitter for something even more efficient you end up with twice the output at half the input current draw. Try that with a Rebel MagLED.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the packaging difference between the new and the old

Newer Maglites with the Rebel LED have absolutely no mention of a spare bulb in the tailcap. The previous generation Maglites with the Luxeon III LED say on the packaging that they come with a spare krypton bulb in the tailcap.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
The lasted led Maglite version that I heard about had the number 060 or 090 stamped right below the led if you look at the led.

Here's a link to the thread and discussion of it here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221231

I bought a rebel mag. when it first came out and it had pretty good throw but not great. My Dereelight CL1H with a 1.2 amp R2 and smooth reflector slightly out-threw the Maglite but not by much.

ncka1234

Newly Enlightened
Its a 090 not 060...the packaging difference as mentioned earlier on the Rebel Mag there is no spare bulb in the tail cap while the Older Mag LED version has on the bottom of the packaging "Spare Bulb included".

Best and easiet way to tell a Rebel Mag is the seriel number has a DL as its first set of characters....

Latest posts