fraen optics and glow paint

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a fraen optic has 4 tabs that retain the optic in its holder.
since any light coming from those tabs is lost as in not adding to the beam i painted them with glow paint.
looks like 4 trasers in the rim once charged up.
the glow powder is sold by electrolumens and any drug store esp rite aid has wet n wild 401.
use 1/3 by volume glow powder in the 401.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add a quick reminder NOT to paint the entire outside of the cone. It won't reflect anymore and you'll have significantly reduced it's brightness. This applies to the luxeon optics as well!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fraen are in a plastic holder that surrounds the clear part.the 4 tabs lock the optic in the sleeve.you can paint the sleeve too but it would be a waste.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
painting the sleeve with glowpaint should make a very bright glow.

i painted the inside of a minimag head with green glow paint, and the first time i turned the light off after painting it, i thought i had somehow broke the sandwhich and turned it green! it was bright enough to cast an actual beam! couldn't go much furthere than several inches...but it was bright.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
been there done that and wasted some paint.
the sleeve does not transmit enough to charge the paint.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
But... the optics work by the same mechanism that makes the top of a swimming pool reflect from underneath at certain angles. It's the interface between the 2 dissimilar materials that causes this. If you paint the sides of the optic it won't reflect anymore (or not as well anyway) and you will loose considerable output because of it.

This is definitely true for the NX05 optics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You understand that this is purley theoretical and I have never ruined an optic by trying this myself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, i think what roth means is to paint the inside of the Fraen holder, not the optic, not the outer side of the holder. But with all of these being said, I don't think we can give any glow effect to the fraen optics beside using snakebite's idea: painting the tabs. like roth said (or what i think he mean), It is also possible to paint the inside, but that might interfere with the collimating properties or scratching the optics as the dried glow powder is as rough as a sand paper.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S -

It is almost like you are reading another thread. Snakebite is not doing what you are saying not to do. Am I missing something ?

- Jeff

Luff

Enlightened
Here's another idea:

Add glow paint to the piece of black plastic the Luxeon LED lens is mounted on (not the NX01 or NX05 holder, but the LED's dome lens holder). Whether barebone or star, all Luxeons share the lens mount and it's visible in every flashlight.

With the LED flat, add paint to the horizontal portion of the lens holder and don't worry much if the side gets coated (the side doesn't contribute much to the glow, but it does add some). Obviously, you don't want to get the paint on the lens, so a small, fine brush, a steady hand and properly mixed glow paint are necessary.

When you put the LED back in the flashlight, use it for a little bit and turn it off, then take a look. You'll see two rings: you get one in the center direct from the LED mount you just painted, with another, larger one surrounding it (if your LS is mounted with a reflector or NX optics). This makes finding the light at night easy, it looks good, doesn't cause problems and keeps me away from the optics.

The first time I tried this, I got a little paint on the side of Luxeon lens, but was able to CAREFULLY remove it after it'd partially set, but before it dried, using the edge of an Xacto knife and very gentle pressure.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, cool idea Luff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I will try it right away. But i got a very big problem, my hand is NOT steady /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes shifty, you are correct.

the glowpowder was applied to the inside of the mag head, and was not contacting the optic in anyway. the only way the optic was messed with was to remove that pesky tab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

as far as glowstuff on tabs, they are already not a direct portion of the refractive surface, and as such, won't direcly interfere with the beam. the nx05 tabs are small, so probably don't suck much light out, but the older freans and their big tabs seem problematic to me. of course, glowing them up would make it look pretty cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak, I just noticed the other thread where they are talking about that very problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I only posted this here as it was about painting on the optics and I warned not to paint all over it. Then I thought that people were saying that should work great. Oh well, sorry for the confusion.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S -

I wouldn't have commented except you are one of the members I read carefully because I usually learn something, even if it is just how to build a perpetual motion machine out of kitty-cats and jelly toast.

I didn't notice shiftd posted the clarifying statement 3 minutes before me so... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif for me too.

- Jeff

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe he got mixed up when i said i painted the outside of the fraen holder and wasted paint.
i only paint the 4 tabs that lock the clear part into its holder.

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
James S -

It is almost like you are reading another thread. Snakebite is not doing what you are saying not to do. Am I missing something ?

- Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]