Malkoff MD3 Wildcat or Surefire M3TL?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been waiting for Surefire to release the upgrades of the M3T for awhile now and now that it is almost here, I am curious to know what you guys think about the reflectored beam of the Malkoff vs. the anticipated beam from Surefire's optics.

I love the look of the M3TL and I love the 2 stage tailcap... I also love the beam from Surefires optics in the LX2 so I am eager to see the new M3TL.

The Malkoff is 1/2 the price with almost double the lumens... I am curious about the differences.

signal 13

Enlightened
Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I've given up on waiting for SF to come out w/ anything they claim is on the way. I'd rather go with a Nailbender dropin that I know I can get NOW with a short turnaround time, or an M60 or M61 (if you can find one on the marketplace).

NB & Malkoff = :rock:

SF = :shakehead :whistle: :tired: :scowl: :confused: :shrug: :mad: :sick2: :thumbsdow :sigh: :candle: :banghead: :hairpull: :whoopin: :xyxgun:

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
been debating that one with myself for a while now but eventually decided to go for the MD3/4.

Wildcat
-Rechargeable option available(don't need to wait for someone to build one). Takes 2x18500, 2x18650 (with MD4 tube) or 3 x cr123.
-More compact
-More efficient LEDs (XP-G)
-Significantly cheaper
-Plain functional design
-Not sure what the efficiency is like on low though. People seem to have avoided discussing this.

M3TL (based on speculation)
-more throw
-Marginally better UI (IMO)
-"Tactical" design
-No rechargeable option. Probably won't even accept 2 x 17500 knowing SF.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low runtime on the MD3 should be in the range of 15 hours.

I was waiting for the M3LT. I obviously don't have one to compare, but honestly I can't see any way that I could justify buying one with the MD3 available.

You are aware that the MD3 is easily adjustable to low with >1/4 turn of the head on the body tube?

As someone pointed out, you can easily cross-grade it with a $45 tube/tailcap addition to use rechargeables.

The real question for me is: why do I still own an M6? It is very likely going to move on soon.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
It's bit too early to compare these lights since no one knows yet what M3TL will bring. I have a feeling that M3TL will have a much more powerful beam and throw with SF's TIR lenses.
MD3 wins in over all points because of it's flexible rechargeable options, dual output, quality, and cost. You can't beat a light that gives you 750 lumens and runs on rechargeables as well.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The real question for me is: why do I still own an M6? It is very likely going to move on soon.

Don't sell it. There will probably be some LED Hi CRI tower drop-in down the road that will work with your M6, and besides they are just too cool looking. Use the MN15 in it for now.

Bill

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's bit too early to compare these lights since no one knows yet what M3TL will bring. I have a feeling that M3TL will have a much more powerful beam and throw with SF's TIR lenses.
MD3 wins in over all points because of it's flexible rechargeable options, dual output, quality, and cost. You can't beat a light that gives you 750 lumens and runs on rechargeables as well.

Yep, that's why I said I obviously didn't have one to compare. :D I assume you mean that the M3TL may have more throw than the Wildcat? That is possible. The M3LT is clearly likely to be well behind the Wildcat in lumens at 400 vs. 750. If those 400 lumens are tightly thrown by the TIR, it may have more throw, but throw without spill is not always what's needed - depends on your needs at the moment.

Don't sell it. There will probably be some LED Hi CRI tower drop-in down the road that will work with your M6, and besides they are just too cool looking. Use the MN15 in it for now.

Bill

After a little Q&D comparison last night, I probably have changed my mind because of the throw that the M6 reflector gives. You're probably right about a future drop-in. I had been looking at buying one of the conversion heads soon, but that at least is no longer a priority.

Last edited: