New Nichia white LEDs - twice as efficient!!!

Catapult

Enlightened
Oh me oh my! Longer runtime without the expense of brightness! But what about my army of Nichia LED lights? I guess LEDs are also subject to obsolescence.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You can always put them on ebay...people like old stuff like used up old insulaters and Commdore SX-64 computers (mid 1880s and mid 1980s). Oh oh I have a house full of used up old insulaters and I'm bidding on a used up old SX-64. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry Craig...I collect just about anything that stays still long enough as well...though lights in particular...and old computers/calculators...and a Grundig TK14 portable tape recoder (that I can barely carry), a 30 year old B&W TV (That I use)...you get the idea.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got that Commodore SX-64 today, and by golly the thing really works!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It might eventually end up in the closet with my C-64 and C128 (they work too; the cleaners put them in the closet while I was away late last year) but for now I'll just have some fun with the thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If I find a ComputerEyes camera for it, I might even try to take some pictures of my insulators with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

php_44

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CiTY said:
I wonder if this "upgrade" will make it to the Luxeons? 1W,5W...

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke with a Nichia rep, and he said ~50 lumens per watt 5mm devices will be the first ones shipped. (Hopefully this is a packaged 50 lumens per watt since the article mentioned 60l/w). Some time later they will make the same die available in small SMT packages for backlights, etc.

I asked if the technology is being migrated to the high power LEDs, and he said "not for a while". The two major techniques they use to get the efficiency increase are physical changes to the die to increase light extraction efficiency and the use of an electrode pattern that absorbs less of the light produced. Apparently they are still using the same recipe to make the chips - it's just that they are able to extract more of the light that used to stay trapped in the LED die.

Assuming Nichia is quoting 50l/w for a packaged device, a new 5mm 50L/W Nichia would generate 3.5lumens at 20mA and 0.07watts of power. So you'd need ~15 LEDs to make your 50 Lumens. You could probably overdrive them to ~35mA and get ~65 lumens. If they can be had for ~$1, then fifteen 5mm LEDs will be cheaper than buying Luxeon LEDs for that amount of light, right??

I did obtain a sample 1.2W, 17-20 lumen warm white. Nichia added some red phosphor to the mix and the result is supposed to be a nice warm white with great color rendering. They have some work to do. My sample has a lens to produce a 40 degree beam. Looking at the lens, one sees a very large blob of dark gold phosphor with two bond wires coming out of it. The phosphor is thick enough to mask the die shape. Lighting the device up produces a beam with a reasonable circular shape, but a few rings at the edges. The light is a blue sort of white in the very center that quickly turns to a deep butter color and an almost orangy color at the edges. It's not very pleasing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif, but I'll try again at higher current when I can heat sink the thing. The higher current may improve the color, but the beam will certainly remain uneven like the luxeon low domes. Looks to me like Nichia might benefit from the phosphor deposition technology in Lumiled's high domes. They will be offering non-warm ~30 lumen 1.2w LEDs.

The rep said volume production for their 1.2W LEDs won't be until around February 2004. This is the second time they have slipped out the schedule and they will be about three quarters late. Arrghh. Looks like Luxeons will remain the only 1 watt plus option for the time being. Perhaps Nichia is not ready to ship these yet because they know the Luxeon HD's produce more evenly colored light. Maybe Nichia wants to get their devices "right" before shipping them? Lets hope so - we need some healthy competition out there!!!