Latest Greatest AAA?

Buddy L

Newly Enlightened
I've been out of the market and forum for a year. My last acquisitions in AAA was LD01, Maratac and ITP, have there been any new superstars come on the market in AAA or even AA?

fnj

Enlightened
I've been out of the market and forum for a year. My last acquisitions in AAA was LD01, Maratac and ITP, have there been any new superstars come on the market in AAA or even AA?

The IlluminaTi gives around 40% more lumens than iTP A3 EOS, plus super highly polished titanium bling, at a super price point (for titanium). It also comes on in low-medium-high order instead of brain dead medium-low-high order. Not as many hours on low, but just as many on high.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html

HKJ

Flashaholic

The LD01 has been updated, and there a a few more, the last roundup I did was with these:
DSC_0417.jpg

http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot AAA lights 2010-01 UK.html

I also checked a light where you can order the levels you want:
DSC_1201.jpg

Sorry about the color, I believe they are working on some more neutral colors.

Another new light is the EagleTac PN20a, a two level AAA light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes as a very basic competitor to the much loved Fenix EO1.

The Nextorch K1
NextorchK1d.jpg

A real nice light,smaller and lighter,use mine every day as my evening EDC.

Pictured here standing next to my ITP A3.

The Fenix which I like has longer run times but I am not bothered about that so much as AAA batteries are easy and cheap enough here in the Uk and I use eneloop type or Lithium and it is another brand for the collection but the K1 proves its worth to me in being so light.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
IMHO the Preon 2 is a top contender as far as AAA lights are concerned. It's advertised at 140 lumens and is a sweet light. I EDC mine.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG0003-7-1.jpg

A pair of brass Peak Eigers

Peak's Eiger is an awesome light - no bells or whistles - just beautiful, tank-like build and great performance. And the brass can be polished quite nicely. Specify the power level you want and choose from many battery compartment options in Brass, SS or HAIII.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not too much new in the last year as far as AAA's. The copper Maratac AAA may be the newest. To me the greatest, if not the latest, is still the LF2XT.

Geoff

r1gm1n

Newly Enlightened
The Preon/Preon2 is less than a year old. And for those people/applications that are interested, the Warm White head is less than a month old.

:twothumbs

riccardo

Enlightened
The Preon/Preon2 is less than a year old. And for those people/applications that are interested, the Warm White head is less than a month old.

:twothumbs

I just ordered a couple of days ago one titanium and one black in warm white....

:thumbsup:

Buddy L

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks-
Thanks for the 411. And I especially thank "HKJ", "McNair", and "DWF" for the super photos. I really like the polished brass numbers and I'm interested in the Preon 2 x AAA with its' high output and possible EDC in my work shirts' pen pockets. I've bookmarked this page to begin researching all of these nice choices. It looks like I'm going to have to put my Pay-Pal in the action stand-by mode...some bucks on new lights. BTW "HKJ" what are your favorites in your grouping, especially in the slim, 2 x AAA models? How does the 4 Sevens Preon 1 stack up against the new LD01's? How does the Illumina Titanium perform compared to the Maratac AAA? I'm also curious about the Preon II compared to the Fenix LD05, which I haven't read about yet. :thinking::popcorn::candle:
Thanks a bunch.

HKJ

Flashaholic
BTW "HKJ" what are your favorites in your grouping, especially in the slim, 2 x AAA models? How does the 4 Sevens Preon 1 stack up against the new LD01's? How does the Illumina Titanium perform compared to the Maratac AAA? I'm also curious about the Preon II compared to the Fenix LD05, which I haven't read about yet. :thinking::popcorn:

To see how they stack up against each other, just follow the link! There are also links to reviews for some of the lights, the reviews are in Danish (Use google translate) and contains lots of photos.

My favorite of the 2xAAA for regular light is the Preon (Sunlight has configuration to do colored light or UV). The LD05 is rather heavy.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too much new in the last year as far as AAA's. The copper Maratac AAA may be the newest. To me the greatest, if not the latest, is still the LF2XT.

Geoff

I agree, and this is the latest release in polished bare aluminium ;)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... I'm also curious about the Preon II compared to the Fenix LD05, which I haven't read about yet.....

My favorite form factor for EDC is a 2xAAA light. I have a Fenix LD05, Streamlight Stylus Pro, and Inova Bolt, and am impressed by the first two lights.

The LD05 is longer and heavier, but built very solid due in part to the stainless steel bezel. The pocket clip is firm and does its job well.

There is no knurling so the LD05 can be a little slippery. The switch action feels substantial and accidental activation seems unlikely.

The light emitted has a good tint and is free of annoying artifacts.

The LD05's high level throws farther than I expected -- about as far as the Leatherman Serac S3 (1xCR123A). Though I don't use the highest level for long periods, the LD05 has never become hot.

Some owners have reported that they can see flickering at low levels due to a low PWM frequency, but my eyes cannot detect it unless I move the flashlight around rapidly back and forth while staring directly into the beam -- an action with little to no practical use.

penlights2.jpg