What's a great mod for an old SF L2?

Buddy L

Newly Enlightened
I've got a three year old SureFire L2 and was thinking about having it modified into a powerhouse, what and who would you suggest for the project?

AaronM and Milkyspit are two modders that I have dealt with.
Either one can put a MCE in your L2 for a great boost in output.

I use a AaronM modded L2 on my job, about 60 lumens on low. close to 400 on high.

Welcome to CPF!

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF L2, and I was hoping that someone would make a new head for it that would give it more lumens. How expensive is it to have someone mod one?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A huge +1 for an MC-E in the SF L2, there have been a few demonstrated here and they appear to be excellent. It should get 500+ lumens OTF if driven hard & well-heatsinked. If I was to get my SF L2 modded, it would go to 'Milky' for:
  • MC-E emitter (I think that the existing reflector is reasonably appropriate for this LED)
  • bored through to take 2x 17500 LiIon rechargeables (comparable in length to 3x CR123, yes the body should be long enough once the driver is removed from the body)
  • installing a new 'buck' driver in the head appropriate for ~7.5Vin (The existing driver doesn't run at optimum with a single LiIon rechargeable, and is severely overdriven with two LiIons)
  • changing the resistor in the tailcap to provide an appropriate low level
After this, the light would perform at optimum with 2x 17500 LiIon rechargeables (~7.4v) and 3x CR123 primaries (~7.5v) for backup.

It would end up being a bit expensive, but would be pretty much a dream light IMO.

Last edited: