Old Laptop parts

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here know where I might find a screen assembly for a Toshiba T5200 series laptop???

Bought one off eBay last week, and the screen I am afraid to say didn't survive the 500 mile trip. Yes, I know that gas Plasma screens are notoriously fragile...but I didn't expect it to be in pieces.

The damage itself can be seen in this pic (217K).

http://zelandeth.artamir.org/misc/damage.jpg

A shame really, given that other than this, the machine is PERFECT, and when using an external monitor runs as if it's new.

Hope someone's got an idea,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Zel.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Open it up and get the info from the actual screen itsself. A lot of times one screen will be in several different laptops so you may be able to find it in something other than a toshiba.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops...forgot this.

Part number's P000143500.

The whole screen assembly detatches from the base unit (takes about 30 seconds, undo two screws, slide to clips to the side, and pull), and we're talking pre-TFT here, so finding a replacement panel itself would be near as hard as finding the whole assembly most likely.

Presently I have the screen assembly removed, and the machine running through an old VGA monitor that I kept tripping over.

(Sort of looks like an oversized black Amiga just now! On that topic, yes, that avatar is a line drawing of an A1200).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, you'll probably have better luck finding this plasma screen than you would trying to find a replacement monitor for one of those suitcase-sized "laptop" computers that has a Commdore 64, a 1541 disk drive, and a 5" color monitor all in one. I got to poke around inside of ONE many years ago... never saw one before that and haven't seen one since.

Oh yeah... the Commodore SX-64.

(Edit) Let's see if I can snag a Commodore SX-64 on ebay, and see what happens... maybe I will finally get to see one of those asinine things again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
We're talking about the old 386-based tank with the plasma screen, right? Get another 5200 on ebay, they should be pretty cheap there. It possible that the 5100 uses the same screen. In fact I think there was a 286 version before that, which may have also used the same screen.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stored my old T5100 that stopped working several years ago for years in a rental storage unit that cost me $106 per month. My wife and I cleaned it out last December and either tossed or gave away everything. That $106 per month is now available for flashlights and such. Timing is everything.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
when you say gas plasma is it redish/orange?
i may have a display for it.a friend tore one down with a bad mobo.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have one of those and while not practical to use it is a nice addition to my collection.
not real common anymore.
i repaired lots of the monitors when these were new.
they were about the only problem i remember with the sx-64.

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Well, you'll probably have better luck finding this plasma screen than you would trying to find a replacement monitor for one of those suitcase-sized "laptop" computers that has a Commdore 64, a 1541 disk drive, and a 5" color monitor all in one. I got to poke around inside of ONE many years ago... never saw one before that and haven't seen one since.

Oh yeah... the Commodore SX-64.

(Edit) Let's see if I can snag a Commodore SX-64 on ebay, and see what happens... maybe I will finally get to see one of those asinine things again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, the SX-64 listing ends in about 18 minutes... let's see if I can snipe it before the cost goes too high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And if the monitor blows, it has a hookup on the back so I can plug both the audio & video into my 1702 monitor if needed. That is, if I get the SX-64. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Snakebite, it's a reddish orange colour (almost neon nightlight orange if I remember...maybe slightly redder though...can't really remember. It's that long since I had my old 5200 before...miss it! Remember though, used to have a basic LCD before that...with the crappy refresh, ghosting, narrow viewing angle...then the plasma screen...ZERO ghosting...no trails of letters fading in as I was typing...was like a dream come true. (Heck, I could even play tetris on it without needing to hook up an external monitor!).

Craig: Ain't got a C64...Do have a pre-release ZX Spectrum though, a revision 1A Amiga A1200 (And that nobody is getting unless they remove it from my cold dead fingers...), and an OLD cartridge based Atari of unknown description (and location)...think there's an Acorn Electron rattling around somewhere as well...

Anyhow...I'm going off topic here...

Screen's 11 and a half inches diagonally (29cm), and has a D-type connector (34 pin I think...) as shown in this pic (http://zelandeth.artamir.org/cpf/misc/laptopconnector1.jpg)
Excuse the image size...I left it big so that the detail was visible...actually managed to get the camera to give me a close up in focus for a change!

Good luck with the SX-64 Craig! Let us know what happens!

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an SX 64. Added in the Stereo SID and added a second floppy drive in the disk holder above the floppy that was already there. Had to cut the 1541 pcb in half to fit both parts inside the case. Ended up with heat problems.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
Craig: Ain't got a C64...Do have a pre-release ZX Spectrum though, a revision 1A Amiga A1200 (And that nobody is getting unless they remove it from my cold dead fingers...), and an OLD cartridge based Atari of unknown description (and location)...think there's an Acorn Electron rattling around somewhere as well...

Good luck with the SX-64 Craig! Let us know what happens!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Zelandeth,

Holy cow, that IS some ancient stuff you've got there.

An OLD cartridge based Atari? If it's a TV game, it might be an Atari 2600. That came out around 1976, and had cartridges like Tank and Breakout. (Tank probably came out first, because it was a monochrome game).
If it's a computer, it could be an Atari 400 or 800. I'm guessing these came out in the early 1980s. I don't know if they were cartridge based, but you could use cartridges with them.

Oh, and I won that SX-64 and the guy delivered it maybe 45 minutes later. Now THAT'S what I call service!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I haven't plugged it in yet, but it sure looks nice on the outside, and it's guaranteed to not be DOA.

O o, gotta run... I'll be back in about half an hour and add whatever to this post it needs...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool.
i tryed looking the auction up but its still not in completed itens.
how much did ya get it for?
if you got software holler as i am making images of the disks and putting them on cd-r.
those floppies wont last forever...

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atari, I remember that it's keyboard based, and has a row of black (I think...could e silver though) buttons to the left of the main keyboard, a cardridge slot, and a bit of wood effect trim somewhere (across the top or front of the case...can't remember. guess I'm gonna have to go dig it out...)

Okay...found it. 800XL.
Wood trim I was remembering from the 2600 which was buried under the 800XL...and I didn't even remember seeing before...but I packed the stuff in there, so it must be mine. Wierd.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
cool.
i tryed looking the auction up but its still not in completed itens.
how much did ya get it for?
if you got software holler as i am making images of the disks and putting them on cd-r.
those floppies wont last forever...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Snakebite,

The SX-64's URL is right here if you're interested.
I paid around $165 for it, lock, stock, and barrel. Well, it doesn't have a lock, a stock, or a barrel, but you get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It didn't come with any software, and most of my good Commodore 64 software was lost in a move in 1996, but I have a few of those plastic boxes of Commodore 64 diskettes around here. So if there's something you need, I *might* have it. Getting it onto the PC and uploading it might be a challenge though, since I don't have one of those funky disk cables that lets you hook a 1541 drive up to a pee-cee, or any kind of software to suck the 1541 disk dry and put its contents on the pee-cee.

I guess I'm really dated now...I have Digimon music coming out of my CD player (they didn't have CDs when the SX-64 was made, let alone Digimon), there's 3rd Rock From The Sun on my TV (they didn't have that back in 1983 either), and I'm trying to put the keychain attachment on my new CMG Sonic (they didn't have LED flashlights back then either, nor anybody that played with them!)

Anyway, now that I've gone terribly off-topic, I'd better end this message and go back to trying to put the keychain thingie on my Sonic...

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see that you won it Craig!

Now...back to the question of whether anyone knows of a good reasonably priced source of Toshiba parts...

Got a T3100e/40...gas-plasma, but different size.
T3200 (two of them) again, gas-plasma but different format.
T3100SX - different size again.
T1200 LCD...argh.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
talked to the person with the screen and it may have come from a 5 something toshiba.
he will dig it out and report back...

[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
Nice to see that you won it Craig!

Now...back to the question of whether anyone knows of a good reasonably priced source of Toshiba parts...

Got a T3100e/40...gas-plasma, but different size.
T3200 (two of them) again, gas-plasma but different format.
T3100SX - different size again.
T1200 LCD...argh.

[/ QUOTE ]