Can a Hard Ano Surface be Polished?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I got a McClicky tailcap for my E1e and its more glossy looking than the body and head, I was wondering If I could polish the body and head to even it out.

I have seen it done but searching doesnt return helpfull results, maybe its just my search terms.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just tried it with 2 of my cheaper lights and it didn't do anything. I think the anodize coating is harder than the metal my polish is made for so the polish doesn't remove any of it at all.
dscn2953h.jpg

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I have jewellery polish, it takes oxidization off titanium, car metal polish didnt.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done think of ano like tiny rods standing on end :thinking:

Anyway I took the lug off this ITP and used fine grit paper and jewelers polish,the picture doesn't show it to well due to my crappy photography skills but it did shine :thumbsup:

002-68.jpg

The main problem you'll have is ano is usually thinner on edges/corners so you can go through quite easily.

Now I did mention grit paper so I'm not sure if buffing alone will work :shrug:

eastern light

Newly Enlightened
Hard anodising is very hard but also very thin, all metal polishes remove material, just like a very fine abrasive paper, So if you do find some thing that will touch it you will remove it. Try a wax type polish.

(My first post!)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Here are two HA Z2's, the second of which is polished:

newcjd.jpg

o949xx.jpg

You'll have to check with Moddoo on the technique, but this was not a manual process.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
you have to remember, that most factory differences in finishing is NOT from polishing, but from different methods/parameters of hard anodizing. smaller crystal growth leads to a smoother (shinier) finish. it's not done often since smaller crystal growth means a longer ano bath, which is more $$