'High Power' LED

jason 77

Enlightened
What does it mean? I'm looking at LED replacements for the lights in my car (festoon, wedge, neo wedge etc.), and I see 'High Power' LEDs listed alongside the standard ones. I'm assuming it's not just another name for 'High intensity', because I was specifically advised against using High Power LEDs in the car. Why was that?

In general if you are talking about 90% of the "plug and play" led bulbs out there they are not designed very well and either won't last very long or won't put out enough light in the right places to be a viable alternative to the stock Incanescent bulbs. High power and high intensity aren't standardized and can be applied to anything the company making the product wants to.

Also this should probably be moved to the automotive section of this site...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can geat any kind of "power led" for the lights to be seen (position lights),
but
NO WAY (in the moment) to mod Your main lights
in a cost/effort effective way

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
What does it mean? I'm looking at LED replacements for the lights in my car (festoon, wedge, neo wedge etc.), and I see 'High Power' LEDs listed alongside the standard ones. I'm assuming it's not just another name for 'High intensity', because I was specifically advised against using High Power LEDs in the car. Why was that?

Past experience has taught me that the term "high power" is a relative thing. An LED replacement light might appear to be really bright to the eye when you test it in your hand with a battery, but it might be much less bright when it's in it's fixture in the car. This is partly due to the fact that the LED is a tiny point source of light which appears as a pinprick of light to your eyes, making it appear to be very bright, but only for that tiny area where the chip die is centered. The actual amount of light thrown forward, when spread out to it's normal beam pattern in an automobile fixture, might be much less than you expected.

The only LED replacements that I've found useful thus far have been the panel arrays that replace the overhead dome lights.

I've been awaiting suitable LED replacements for the standard 3157 turn signals and brake lights, but I have yet to obtain one that cuts the mustard.

joewatts

Newly Enlightened

Alot of companys are saying high power and even super power just make a distiction between there products. The only way to determin how powerful it is, is by the wattage and how may LEDs it has. The most poweful I have seen around is 1 Watt per LED.