3xCR123 vs 2xCR123 w/ DX R2

jgang

Newly Enlightened
OMG. I've hit sensory overload trying to figure out what the heck to run in terms of a host, p60 drop in, tail cap, lens, etc., etc., etc. Being a noob, all the techno-speak is making my head spin.

So, I ordered 2x Q5s and 2x R2s from DX. Put them in G2 bodies. WOW! Huge improvment. But now I'm wondering how much more light I'd get by dropping the R2 or Q5 into a 3 cell host like the C3 or G3? Is it worth it? Looking for a small, medium throw spotlight application.

I dunno....maybe I should just find a TK40....

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Not much.
They are buck converters and drop Vin down to Vf. So adding cells and increasing Vin does not make them brighter.

They will however benefit from an all aluminum host. They generate a lot of heat and that gets trapped in the the G2 plastic. I (personally) do not think adding an aluminum bezel to the G2 aids much in heat dissipation.... but thats just my opinion having owned one.

dscn6025z.jpg

A better LED host is the solarforce L2.

jgang

Newly Enlightened
Good info. Thanks for saving me some funds Kramer. I guess I'll be happy with my G2s for the time being until I can pick up some 2 cell aluminum hosts as you mentioned.