Impressions: Fenix TK45

historian

Newly Enlightened
Purpose of review:
I was lucky enough to win a prototype Fenix TK45 and this is my review.
I work in anaesthesia in an operating theatre suite and my interest in this flashlight stems from an occupational viewpoint.
My theatre manager has recently been organising a power failure emergency pack which would be duplicated in all 10 theatre suites. This would be utilised in case of emergency back up generator failure.
As one might expect the somewhat obvious choice of a D cell maglite (non LED) was put forward as the flashlight for the emergency pack.
I thought it might be a little more interesting and far more functional to suggest an alternative, and as such I intend to put forward the TK45 for consideration to the theatre manager.
The areas that the flashlight would need to perform are, from an operating theatre perspective, 3 fold:
Firstly, to replace the function of the theatre lightsd in an emergency:
theatre2.jpg

Secondly, to illuminate the anaesthetic machine and surrounding area:
theatre1.jpg

and thirdly, to illuminate the corridor area's for evacuation (in case of fire etc):
theatre3.jpg

Flashlight description:
The TK45 has a matt black anodized finish, it is 20cm tall and 5cm width at its widest point at the triple LED heads (it is broadly similar in size and weight to a 2 D cell maglite).
It can be dismantled into 3 sections comprising LED head, main body/tube and tailcap.
A plastic battery housing is contained within the flashlights body.
Fenix001.jpg

The main body of the TK45 acts as the hand grip and is deeply knurled and further micro grooved for a sure grip in all conditions:
Fenix006.jpg

The LED head is a little unusual looking in design in that it comprises of 3 individual heads mounted close to eachother in a pyramid configuration:
Fenix003.jpg

The LED's used for this prototype versions are XP-G R4 and I understand that the final version will be using the R5.
The design of the LED head seem's to have polarized opinion on the various forums on which it has been discussed, with the majority being uncomplimentary about the flashlights looks.
Aesthetics not-with-standing, I would comment that the design of the head lends itself to efficient heat dissipation and will allow longer run times on turbo mode due to the spacing between the 3 LED heads:
Fenix009.jpg

I have read comments on other forums that the head design will make cleaning difficult, which I feel is a fair observation.
The flashlights head has 2 rubber switches on its side, one of which cylcles between the various modes, the other turns the flashlight on and off. They have a nice positive tactile feel and their positioning is nicely placed for easy operation:
Fenix008.jpg

The flashlights tailcap is a simple screw fit affair with an O ring for water resistance. It benefits from a wide, deep thread pattern which Fenix claim is more wear resistant than previous designs.
The battery housing holds 8AA batteries (alkaline or ni-mh) and is made from a fairly brittle plastic that feels less than robust. All metal contact points are gold plated:
Fenix004.jpg

Overall the flashlight feels well made and screws together nicely, although I should mention that Fenix were at pains to make clear that as a prototype version, quality control may not have been as stringent as on production models. I can only comment on my TK45 but it appears flaw free both in construction and operation.
Flashlight performance:
I have owned the TK45 for a week and have been extremely impressed with its performance from standard alkaline batteries.
Fenix claim the following output and run times which I have no reason to dispute:
tubro 760 lumens for 2 hours, high 312 lumens for 6.5 hours, medium 95 lumens for 22 hours, low 8 lumens for 232 hours.
In terms of operation the left button cycles through the flashlights modes in the following order: Low, mid, high, turbo.
If you press the right on/off button twice (fast), it operates the strobe function, onto fast/rapid. This can be altered using the left button to cycle through the strobe options comprising: fast strobe (high power), sos (mid power), warning flash ( mid power, flashing twice a second).
On my prototype all of the functions operate very smoothly and reliably.
I have taken (attempted!) a few night shots of the beam using my Leica camera. The corner of my garden that is illuminated is 15 meters from the flashlight.
Turbo mode (760 lumens):
FenixTK45006.jpg

High mode (312 lumens):
FenixTK453.jpg

Mid (95 lumens):
FenixTK452.jpg

Low (8 lumens): This mode runs from just one of the three LED heads:
FenixTK451.jpg

The good and the bad:
In terms of the flashlights good points I would firstly say that the body of the TK45 is very well made, I like that it can be run on simple AA batteries (and even better rechargeables). The power output is extremely impressive, on turbo mode it feels like a search light, it has a comprehensive menu of modes, it is strongly built and water resistant.
On the negative I would argue that the battery housing is needlessly flimsy, I do not know why they chose to make it from brittle plastic. I doubt if it would stand being dropped onto a hard floor.
I would imagine that the biggest negative for some would be its looks as I have seen it being described in uncomplimentary terms on several flashlight forums.
Personally I am more interested in day to day performance and in this respect, for me the TK45 gets the thumbs up.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review. I don't mind the looks of it, and it seems to be a practical light. I'd like to see one in person.

1 what

Enlightened
Nice early look!
I don't mind the tripple head.
BUT.....I know AA's are universal and can be primary cells but why can't we have a "real battery" (ie 18650) option?:thinking:.

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
I like the triple headed look and that is almost enough to make me get the light. However, I have the TK40 and like it a lot so I'm not sure if I can really justify the TK45.

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice light for a flashaholic or outdoors person, completely unlikely choice for the theater emergency kit. Even a Maglite doesn't make much sense. The traditional choice is something like a Brightstar industrial 2D light. They are cheap, bright enough for this sort of purpose, and not much can go wrong with them. The next step up would be wall mounted emergency lighting powered by SLA batteries, not a fancier flashlight.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
To say something for your intended use - will something like a TK45 not be needlessly complex and confusing to non-flashaholic theatre staff (ie all of them) in the event of an emergency (not always the best time for clear thinking if you are in a pressurised situation.

While a D cell Maglite is somewhat old and outdated now, I can still see the appeal - anyone can pick one up and figure out where the on button is without accidentally cycling modes and kicking it into strobe. Perhaps a D cell Mag with an LED upgrade of some form or other simpler single stage light?
The other thing I would think about would be sticking in a couple of simple headtorches - for people working and moving about and needing their hands, they are ideal for keeping the light where you want it.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very surprising you say it doesn't look like it would survive a fall on the floor. The other "TK" or "Tank" series flashlights have very strong Aluminum housings. My TK20 definitely would survive a drop on the floor and I believe it would actually survive being run over by a tank.

Bill

ginaz

Enlightened
i'd like to see the ability to have the given modes, then activate 1, 2, or 3 heads in any given mode.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Very surprising you say it doesn't look like it would survive a fall on the floor. The other "TK" or "Tank" series flashlights have very strong Aluminum housings. My TK20 definitely would survive a drop on the floor and I believe it would actually survive being run over by a tank.

Bill

He was of course referring to the battery housing. And a tank would squish it, you do realize how heavy a tank is?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was of course referring to the battery housing. And a tank would squish it, you do realize how heavy a tank is?
FWIW, a tank exerts less PSI on the ground than a car because the weight is distributed across the huge track. So if you can drive a car over a light and not damage it, a tank isn't going to do anything to it. :wave:

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, I've been waiting for someone to review this light, thanks!

Now about your emergency lighting kit, as mentioned before the TK45's UI would be too confusing for someone to pick up and use immediately. Now in most situations it's ok to take your time and learn how to opperate a torch, however in an emergency situation within a theatre where you and your collegues are responsible for the health and safety of panicking, injured/sick people, every second counts.

The old KISS principle comes to mind in times like this and having an LED Maglite D cell wouldn't be a bad idea and as mentioned previously, adding headlamps to the kit would be extremely usefull in situations where hands free tasks are crucial, for instance, those working in surgery; headlamps to consider are Petzl and Princeton Tec.

Just my $0.02 :whistle:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm I would think it would be brighter ..
an R5 Linger Special dual XPG at 2.8a is close
to the same brightness and WAY smaller and lighter.
just bring an extra batt or two for equal runtime and lumens
in a MUCH smaller more flexible package- or is it the AA factor
that makes this light special?
and a Moddoo triple XPG is 50% brighter tho more $$ and
Impossible to get your hands on...
not trying to hate but it seems so unnecessarily HUGE for
less than 1000 OTF. and not much throw for the size either
with those small p60 sized reflectors.
anyone know what amperage each XP-G is run at?
sorry- NOT fillin it:shakehead
or just dont get it- TK40/30 makes more sense to me.
or better yet a Varapower or something similar
Id like someone to make a good case for it tho
as Im just armchair engineering here:nana:no hard feelings!:twothumbs
someone send one to BIG C!
maybe it will fit in his new sphere?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may not survive a tank, but I ran my Inova T4 over with my car with no ill effects, and my TK20 is at least 5 times stronger.

Bill

Last edited:

DLF

Newly Enlightened
Still working on my own review, but yours is a good one. I couldn't agree more about the battery holder; if you've ever owned a cheap consumer (e.g., Dorcy) multicell light, you know that these cheap plastic battery holders just about ALWAYS fail.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! :thumbsup:

I know AA's are universal and can be primary cells but why can't we have a "real battery" (ie 18650) option?:thinking:.

Wow, this is *STILL* coming up? Haven't we been down this road enough already with the TK40? Do we *really* have to go through it all over again with the TK45?

Why no "real battery" option? Well, only Fenix knows the true answer to that one and they're not talking, but I suspect that the "real battery" fans didn't vote with their dollars when the TK30 came out. The AA battery users voted a lot by buying the TK40 in droves. Why would Fenix invest money into a new light powered by batteries that, based maybe on their sales numbers for the TK40 versus the TK30, aren't popular?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and I agree with another member who suggested headlamps for you emergency kit. Zebralight AA headlamps running on Energizer lithium's would be great. They have two different kind the H501 is all flood and the soon to be released H51 has a spot and some flood, I could see a use in your situation for the different type of beams.