question about Quark Tactical UI

325addict

Enlightened
I ordered a warm Quark 123^2 Turbo.

I read, that two modes out of the many can be programmed freely under the head for "instant accessibility".

Now, a question arose:

Let's say, I have programmed "moon mode" and "low" for the use in a tent.
That's fine, as long as use is limited to that tent!

Now, I want to go outside the tent, and just for this time I want to use "high".

Do I have to re-program the light? Or is there any "normal" way (multiple clicks or whatever) to reach the other levels without the need to re-program the light?

I hope so... it would be quite unacceptable to me, if only two modes where available each time, and you would have to re-program the light in order to reach the rest of the modes...

Timmo.

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
You have to re-program one of the twist settings to a higher mode.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Do I have to re-program the light? Or is there any "normal" way (multiple clicks or whatever) to reach the other levels without the need to re-program the light?

I hope so... it would be quite unacceptable to me, if only two modes where available each time, and you would have to re-program the light in order to reach the rest of the modes...

then i guess you should have researched it a bit more. it's 2-mode programmable, how much more explanation do you really need?

if you need access to all the modes, i suggest the regular model, not the tactical. if you're using moon/low, it's trivial to just start in moon and bump it up.

325addict

Enlightened
"it's 2-mode programmable, how much more explanation do you really need?"

Well, 2 mode programmable doesn't EXCLUDE access (in another way) to the other modes, does it?? But I was afraid of this already...

In this, the old saying "assumption is the mother of all f*ckups" goes...
I just assumed that all other modes would somehow be accessible, without having to re-program the light... I personally think it's quite STUPID from the manufacturer to NOT integrate a "normal" UI with this programmable mode... but that's me maybe. I normally don't buy LED-lights. The result is ONCE AGAIN a dissatisfying light. Like all others. Either the UI is bad, or the sequence isn't to my taste (always starting on medium or high isn't my thing), or the color of the light is ugly, or.... now this! Just TWO out of the FIVE useful modes accessible :shakehead

Next, will be an INCAN again :devil:

Timmo.

Timmo.

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
This might be obvious, but what is stopping you from canceling the current order and just ordering regular Quark?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
you would improve your buying experience if you did research before purchasing, as none of those "negatives" should have been a surprise.

jcw122

Enlightened
I think you'll be surprised. I normally have my Tactical programmed for Low and Max. I rarely have a need to change to the other modes. Then again, it is personal preference. And yeah you'll enjoy the tint!

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I keep my turbo in low and turbo.

Don't see how you call the programming a suprise when there are all kinds of YouTube videos and threads here talking about how it works.

Only takes like 4 seconds to access a new mode for use tho so it certainly isn't difficult.

ToNIX

Enlightened

Well, 2 mode programmable doesn't EXCLUDE access (in another way) to the other modes, does it?? But I was afraid of this already...

I just assumed that all other modes would somehow be accessible, without having to re-program the light... I personally think it's quite STUPID from the manufacturer to NOT integrate a "normal" UI with this programmable mode... but that's me maybe. I normally don't buy LED-lights. The result is ONCE AGAIN a dissatisfying light. Like all others. Either the UI is bad, or the sequence isn't to my taste (always starting on medium or high isn't my thing), or the color of the light is ugly, or.... now this! Just TWO out of the FIVE useful modes accessible :shakehead

Next, will be an INCAN again :devil:

Timmo.

Timmo.

I respect your opinion, but I bought the Quark AA Tactical especially because it only had 2 pre-programmed modes. I had no interest in the normal UI. Honestly, it takes 4 seconds to reprogram.

I currently the Quark AA Tactical (running on 14500) as a backup duty light, clipped on my bulletproof vest (right shoulder). It's programmed to Low (default) and Turbo. The TK11 is on the belt.

In the tent, I use my headlight. The Quark can be programmed on moonlight/low and I keep my Fenix TK11 (and soon MD2 with M61) handy for when I need loads of light.

Different lights for different situations.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
I have three Quarks 1xAA, 2xAA and 18650 and I use all with normal head and Tactical switch. Turbo and strobe with bezel tight and with bezel loose it starts out at moonlight and goes up from there. everything is easily accessible and switch has momentary capability.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Casper507, all the Quarks are at 4sevens.com. The full sized ones start in the $55-60 range, the minis are less. Use "CPF8" discount code for 8% discount when ordering.

325addict -- yes, the whole idea of the tactical UI is to allow getting superfluous modes out of the way. Maybe what you really want is a separate low-level light for use in your tent. I use a CMG Infinity with a red led for purposes like that.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

I just assumed that all other modes would somehow be accessible, without having to re-program the light... I personally think it's quite STUPID from the manufacturer to NOT integrate a "normal" UI with this programmable mode... but that's me maybe. I normally don't buy LED-lights. The result is ONCE AGAIN a dissatisfying light. Like all others. Either the UI is bad, or the sequence isn't to my taste (always starting on medium or high isn't my thing), or the color of the light is ugly, or.... now this! Just TWO out of the FIVE useful modes accessible
I find it quite unfortunate that the mainstream manufacturers can't design a single torch that lets you choose to program it to use either two user programmed modes through head twist or to access all available modes through tail switching. It would be so nice. One day.....

Buy yourself a Jetbeam, they are cheap and at least you can program three modes in some of those. I know I just did and I'm never going back.

325addict

Enlightened
I just ask myself: HOW difficult can it be to combine a "normal" (click-off-and-on-again to reach next level) UI with this programmable one? This way, we would have the best of both worlds... now I have to buy THREE of these lights to have all outputs accessible instantly.

To me, it's absolutely UN-acceptable to need FOUR FULL seconds to reach a certain level, that actually IS available, but is hidden (read: not programmed).

If only the Surefire U2 had an acceptable color of light... that would be the PERFECT LED-light. ALL output-levels are under that very fast acting selector-ring :poke:

The option to cancel the order is not available anymore: it's on its way to me.

The ordinary quarks seem to be available in cool white only, and that's a NO GO forever for me. It was that warm-tint LED that caused me to buy this one... indeed, it was late and just before I went on a holiday... so there wasn't much time to investigate any further. It was more like: "this series may be unavailable when I come back, then I regret not have bought one!" so, "click-click" and I ordered one :whistle:
Yes, I read about the two programmable UI, but I immediately thought that would be ON TOP OF a "normal" UI...

Well, let's not whine about it, after all, there are worse things in life than to spend $70,- on a wrong light... I didn't know of the 8% either :oops:

Timmo.

325addict

Enlightened
These are NEUTRAL white, and I knew these were available. After I saw beam shots in the "flashlight reviews" section (hey, I DID some investigations, now I only remember this!) I decided warm white is the ONLY option for me, as "neutral white" is nearly just as ugly as those stone cold white things.
My boss owns a Fenix TK20 which should be "neutral white"... well, it's just a HAIR LESS BLUE than the P1D I compared it with... blurrrgh!!:(

Timmo.

ky70

Banned
Timmo,
I hope this works out to your satisfaction in the end but it is very frustrating to read your complaints about the UI while taking no responsbility for not doing enough research about this light before making your purchase. Many folks enjoy this UI and others do not...the folks who don't like this UI, don't buy this light.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Timmo,
I hope this works out to your satisfaction in the end but it is very frustrating to read your complaints about the UI while taking no responsbility for not doing enough research about this light before making your purchase. Many folks enjoy this UI and others do not...the folks who don't like this UI, don't buy this light.

Yes, I agree. I've been buying 'tactical' Quarks after spending a few minutes doing research and watching a couple of quick videos on how the 'tactical' UI functioned (versus the 'standard'). I love the Quark 'tactical' UI in certain circumstances.

-

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a warm Quark 123^2 Turbo.

I read, that two modes out of the many can be programmed freely under the head for "instant accessibility".

Now, a question arose:

Let's say, I have programmed "moon mode" and "low" for the use in a tent.
That's fine, as long as use is limited to that tent!

Now, I want to go outside the tent, and just for this time I want to use "high".

Timmo.

I don't see the problem here. You purchased something without researching it first. Consider it a tax on your laziness (yes, it's laziness given that even the 4sevens purchase page has a video on how the UI works). Enjoy your light!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Regular UI Quark to see if I'd like it, but I still prefer the Tactical UI. I understand this is personal preference though.

Anyway, I fixed my problem with a simple 3 mode driver, but you may not be into modding. I'm just throwing this idea out there for you. This can be done with the Turbo head too.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/274170