spring deforms with z41+1185(FM sunlight)? (pics added)

deuces

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I built a nice incan light with the following parts:
- Solarforce L2M
- bunch of solarforce and lumensfactory extensions
- z41 tailcap
- FM G4 sunlight D26 bipin socket
- WA1185
- 3x18500

I scoured the forum on what battery combination and what tailcap/switch would be able to feed an 1185 without failing or being at very high risk for instaflash. I came to the conclusion that with this setup, I'd be at some risk for instaflash, but the switch would be fine.

I was checking the light because the contact at the drop-in was intermittent (solarforce socket is a bit too big for the G4 dropin), and I found that the drop-in's spring was discolored and collapsed. Hmmm. So I checked the tailcap as well, a stock Surefire Z41, and sure enough, that spring was also deformed.

So I need your help.

1. Is it normal for a FM G4 sunlight's spring to deform with 1185? I have a feeling not.... Similar question for Z41.

2. Where can I get replacement springs, for the dropin and the Z41? Perhaps upgrade springs that can handle more heat/amperage.

3. Would a spring mod (solder decent gauge copper wire at either end of the spring) help avoid the spring meltdown, at the price of increasing instaflash risk?

Pics!

IMGP2827.jpg

IMGP2828.jpg

IMGP2831.jpg

IMGP2830.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

flashfiend

Enlightened
Something looks weird. I'd imagine an issue with the the Z41 spring maybe but I'm surprised that happened to your Sunlight spring as well. I've run a similar setup to your with the FM1909 and that draws even more current.

deuces

Newly Enlightened
Something looks weird. I'd imagine an issue with the the Z41 spring maybe but I'm surprised that happened to your Sunlight spring as well. I've run a similar setup to your with the FM1909 and that draws even more current.

Yah I know! Did you run your 1909 with a z41? I have some FM1909's lying around, but I won't be trying them out until I get to the bottom of this.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Is it normal for a FM G4 sunlight's spring to deform with 1185? I have a feeling not.... Similar question for Z41.
Remove spring from Sunlight socket and make sure bulb pin is straight centered and not touching brass housing.

2. Where can I get replacement springs, for the dropin Sunlight?
Fix the problem and make sure bulb will run using jumper wires then contact me.

deuces

Newly Enlightened
Remove spring from Sunlight socket and make sure bulb pin is straight centered and not touching brass housing.
Are you suggesting a short in the socket? The pins are straight, and the bulb still functions. Would a short possibly have caused the tailcap spring to deform as well? Scratching my head... I suppose if there's a short, the current is traveling through the tailcap as well, so that makes sense.

Hm If you're suggesting a short could be the cause... I had left the spacer washer at the bottom of the lamp assembly. It looks like there's quite a bit of room in the solarforce host, where the washer would normally sit. Is the washer material conductive? I'll check it with the DMM when I get home...

Fix the problem and make sure bulb will run using jumper wires then contact me.
I'll double check the lamp assembly tonight and send you PM. I was trying to avoid bothering you until I eliminated my own stupidity as the cause.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've run a similar setup to your with the FM1909 and that draws even more current.

+1. I don't think this will end up being a use problem.

Something looks weird.

+1. I'm trying to do the math on your setup. Is that a 34mm body + 50mm extender + 50mm extender? In which case, the missing half cell of length is crushing the springs. How hard was it to get the tailcap on?

There generally aren't 50mm bodies so the typical setup for 3x18500's is a 100mm body with a 50mm extender. With bezel and tailcap, this setup runs a bit under 8.5 inches.

I can help with the Z41 springs, just shoot me a PM.

deuces

Newly Enlightened
+1. I'm trying to do the math on your setup. Is that a 34mm body + 50mm extender + 50mm extender? In which case, the missing half cell of length is crushing the springs. How hard was it to get the tailcap on?

There generally aren't 50mm bodies so the typical setup for 3x18500's is a 100mm body with a 50mm extender. With bezel and tailcap, this setup runs a bit under 8.5 inches.

The way I did my math is, with 1xCR123A as units, with the logic that 18500 is about 1.5 CR123A.

- 1 cell body (Solarforce L2M)

- 2 cell extension (Solarforce 18650 extension)

- 1.5 cell extension (lumensfactory)

gives me total 4.5 cr123a size units, and I believe 18500 (actually 18490 -> 49mm, I think) is about 1.5 x cr123a.

Hmm, by mm math, roughly 34mm + 65mm + 51mm = 150mm, 3mm short of 3 x 49mm.

Anyway, the batteries aren't being crushed. With the springs all shrunk, the batteries are just barely touching the springs now.

I can help with the Z41 springs, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks man, will be in touch. I'm still considering your bored 9P + the 1.5 cell extension for this, but I'm still experimenting...

deuces

Newly Enlightened
Tested the spacer washer with DMM, it definitely conducts electricity at some points. I'm now convinced I've shorted out the light and pulled enough current through the springs to mess them up. Doh! I'm an idiot... Amazingly the 1185 bulb is still good! Thanks FM and EG for jumping into the thread. Learning little by little, bit by bit.

hoongern

Enlightened
yeah - just for extra info if you need - I've been running my D26-G4 socket with 3xIMR18500 and 1185 successfully for the past 5 months or so - no problems at all - and it's really nice floody bright! (I've been using it in a Seraph SP-6+EXR1+EXR1.5, seraph twisty tail and head)

The one time I accidentally shorted it out, both my tailcap spring and module spring melted and deformed. In addition, one of my 18500s vented.

So yes - I'd say that looks like a short.

deuces

Newly Enlightened
yeah - just for extra info if you need -

Thanks, that helps a LOT. Quite a relief to know I goofed, and the setup is fine. I really like this setup! 3x16340 doesn't have enough juice or runtime, 3x18650 is too long, but 3x18500... A bit long but not too crazy. :) And it's much more compact than 3x26500.

Yay!

Thanks everyone, especially the amazing FiveMega and ElectronGuru.

325addict

Enlightened
I also think a (temporary!) short is the cause. I run a WA1111 in a C2 Centurion using this Sun module and the same tail cap and I have never experienced any problems.

A very nice setup you have there :thumbsup:

You definitely NEED the FM1909 for this :devil: :devil: :devil:

I just got them in today, put them in my Megalennium, took (too weak) Li-cobalt cells and... was STILL absolutely impressed with the result :oops:

Now I have to wait until the six AW IMR 18650s come in, I'm quite sure the brightness will be significantly higher then (remember, the FM1909 draws 5.5 Amps(!) It's a 63 Watts lamp!)

Timmo.

Latest posts