Malkoff - Favorite config?

CQB

Enlightened
I'm in my "honeymoon" stage again, with the latest addition to my flashlight collection:

Just received the new M61 from Malkoff, with the MD2 body, and also received the MD4 body+switch.

I already have a Wildcat MD3.

It's LEGO time and I find myself switching between the M61 on the MD4 body, and using the Wildcat (Gen 1) head on the MD3 body, leaving the MD2 body as a spare.

Then, I switch it all around and use the Wildcat head on the MD4 body, and the M61 on the MD2 or MD3. Ah! Flashlight bliss... :)

I use a speed holster from SF (V70 I believe) so all the MD2, MD3, and MD4 bodies fit and work well with this setup.

As a LEO for on-duty use, I am tending to leave the setup as:
- Wildcat + MD4
- M61 + MD3
- MD2 as spare - may need to get me another head somewhere!! :)

Any LEO's or other Malkoff fans out there who are inclined to explain how they would configure the above lights and parts? Preferences? Reasons?

FYI - I'm running AW cells for these so I've got the usualy 18650s, and 18500s. With a whole wack of CR123's as backup.

The longer sized M61+MD4 us kinda cool actually if you dont mind the longer form-factor. Feels like a secondary / last-ditch impact weapon if needed.

Everyone at work loves the Malkoff lights although I am the only guy who has them - for now :shrugs: SF and Fenix are the usual lights used, due to my spreading the flashaholism where I can. :rock:

Stay safe
CQB

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been happy with my M61 riding in a C2. The grip ring makes for a great low light shooting platform.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Malkoff drop-ins, but the lack of a grip ring makes the Malkoff host a deal breaker for me. I did at one point turn a groove in the malkoff host to accept a SF spacer ring I had laying around. That was OK but still not a Surefire grip. IMHO the Z2 is the best host out there. But I have no use for SF LED's. I carry a Solarforce Masterpiece Pro 1 head also. Doesn't take long to turn the Z2 into a super thrower with over 50,000 lux. I know what you mean about mixing/matching flashlight parts. I've spent a lot of time lining then all up in all manner of configuration and trying to come up with a strategy so to speak....fun stuff.

IMG_6678.jpg

CQB

Enlightened
heheheh. yes the least expensive route... i forgot about that, completely it seems :0

I know what you mean about not having the combat ring... I don't mind the MD3 & MD4 not having the ring - for now ;) I do use a SF C2 and D3 as hosts as well. The D3 doesnt have a ring actually but the C2 does.

I will look into acquiring a SF Z2 - it's been on the wishlist for awhile already.

Tks for the comments all.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Z2 with an M60/61 and a z59 clickie tailcap in A V70 holster. With the Z59 tailcap installed, every time you pull out the light it has the same pressure to activate the light every time.

It has been my experience that 2-cell Surefire lights that spend alot of time in the V70 tend to rotate in the holster due to friction, bumbing into things, rubbing up against a car seat, resting your hand on the light, etc. With the standard tailcap, a twistie, that rotation inside the V70 slightly loosens or tightens the standard tail cap so the perfect pressure point to activate the light rarely stays the same. The z59, which screws all the way down tight will greatly help maintain the same activation pressure point each time.

Last edited:

CQB

Enlightened
@NotRegulated - copy that, regarding the Z59 switch. I'll have to look into getting one and trying that out with my C2.

I have to add that I LOVE the M61!! I'm rocking it on a MD4 (2x18650) so it's like a kubaton/flashlight and it just lights up EVERYTHING. Outdoors in the backyard it's such a great balance between flood and throw. I am very very happy with this purchase! Thanks Gene!! Am anxiously waiting (like many others) for the Gen 2 Wildcat heads... :wave:

jellydonut

Enlightened
I am no LEO, just a geek (and student for now).

I have the Hound Dog, Wildcat V2 and MD2/M60 heads along with an MD2, MD4 and three MD3 bodies. After juggling them around a whole lot I have actually ended up with them each on their original bodies.:shrug: The Hound Dog on the MD4 for using four CR123s, the Wildcat on the MD3 for the best compromise between size and runtime, and the M60 on the MD2 'cause it's just right.:crazy: I do like having it on an MD3 body too, I've got one more M60 and an M61 on the way to put on my spare MD3s anyway so I'll get the best of both worlds.

I usually end up EDCing the Wildcat MD3 and falling back to the M60/MD2 if I am situation constrained to a smaller light.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite combos:
C2-M60-HO Tactical
6Z-M60F-HO Tactical Flood
6R-M60LF-LO General Purpose...

BTW, the "L" models run forever on a B65 if anybody wants to know. Even reliable enough for a R/C Duty Light! (With a back-up with primaries, of course)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no one favorite configuration, there are many possibilities. Of course this depends partly on your budget, if you just have to have one item only, then probably a 6P (or clone) is the most versatile, especially if bored to accept 1x18650 cells.

Alternatively, you just get a 1x18650 tube (such as a Leef tube, if you can find one) that is compatible with the C Surefire heads and go from there.

As to which Malkoff: the M30 is quite versatile, using 1 LiIon (such as the 18650), or 1x123A (with a dummy cell). You get the big throw, and if you need flood, you can just add an SF diffuser. This diffuser stays on the bezel, and it opens up with a spring (which you can operate 1-handed) whenever you need the throw.

The M60 is great too, using 2x123A or 2 LiOns (RCR123A's). I think you can also get them cheaper by now, as inventory is being finished to make room for the M31 and M61.

By the way, for the same reason you can just go with the M60 rather than the M61, because the bigger throw of the M60 is more valuable than a 10-13% better efficiency of the M61 LED, in my opinion.

There is a big and growing fan base of the M31, and there are good reasons for this, but mostly this has to do with the ability to run it (especially the M31L) on a 2xAA configuration. If you are looking for just one configuration (for reasons of budget, or whatever) then this is not likely to appeal to you unless you really aim to only have AA's around.

I see some other posters here go with the same basic idea, although instead of the 6P they go with a C2 or a Z2. The same ideas I mention above apply, I guess you just have to handle the C2 and Z2 to see if it is the right size and weight for you, my impression is that they are kind of heavier and beefier versions of the 6P with more extrusions (such as combat rings). Of course, you can get quite handy and extremely light synthetic (plastic, not metal) combat rings for the 6P as well.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hands down the Malkoff Hound Dog on an MD3. Surefire makes a kit of 3 slip on grip rings that will all fit over the one inch diameter body tube if you really need one but I find the grip on the Malkoff's just fine.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My Malkoff history:
  1. M30 w/ 2xAA in a SF C3. A lot of fun on 2xAA, but it did feel like I was missing something compared to ~double the output from an M60 w/ 2x LiIons in the same size package.
  2. M60 w/ 2x17500 in a SF C3. I used this setup for a long time and liked it a lot. My least favorite thing about it was the abrupt PC shutoff @ 1:45 without any warning.
  3. M60 w/ 1x18650 in a bored SF 6P. A slight decrease in output, but greatly extended runtimes with gradually decreasing output - no surprise :poof: A smaller overall size for comparable outputs and mAh's. :cool:
  4. M31W w/ 2x AA in a SF C3. My newest toy. A great beam configuration - while the M60 optic was good, I think that this beam is perfect for my uses. While this won't be my primary use light, I really like the ability to run the ubiquitous AA's in my '3-cell' SF car light.
It's difficult to have a favorite for long - the great thing about the Malkoff line and the SF hosts is that it's so much fun to switch things around & try out all the possible configurations. :huh:

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened
I have a M60LF in a Maxfire LX host w/17670.
. . . . . . M61 in a bored 6P host w/Z59 cap.
. . . . . . M61WL in a G2 body w/6P Z44 bezel & Streamlight PolyTac fwd clicky.
. . . . . . M31 in L2r host w/6P Z44 bezel.
. . . . . . M31W in a VG FB3 body w/VME head.

I also have a MD2 host that all the M6x modules take turns riding in every once in a while.
It's actually waiting for a M60L to arrive ... :sssh: :devil: *edit - It's here!

Last edited:

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I have the M61, M61 LL and M61W; I use them in a MD2, MD4, and SF 6P host. I swap parts as needed to fulfill my needs. The ability to use AW 18650's in the MD series is such a plus for me...I bought 50 4sevens 123s for $79, but haven't touched them yet.

At my job I have a strong need for a bright light...one with momentary capabilities and has a room filling/short to medium throw is ideal for most purposes; the MD4 w/ 2 18650's meets this need perfectly. My Quark 123x2 Turbo does the job as well, but has more of a throw to it.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current Malkoff/Surefire configurations:

M611 in a C3 "C3 LED"
M60 in a C2 "Barbell Light"
M60 in a Z3 w/ McC2S
M60L in a Z2
M60LL in a G3 LED host (powered by AA)