Maglite Soliatre LED

Cole07

Enlightened
Modded my first flashlight ever. A solitare! It was actually pretty easy. It is using a 5mm LED from one of the free battery junction keychain lights that didn't work. So I unsoldered it, and made it work with a 12 volt battery. I'm guessing somewhere above 10 lumens OTF based on comparing it to my iTP on medium (18 lumens). It is hilarious the way it functions cause I drilled the reflector horribly and its not even round! :crackup: But it is more useful than the old incandescent. I would guess it is about like a Fenix E01 in terms of output, even though I don't have one. Just thought I'd share it with you guys cause I'm pretty excited about it! :hitit:

Colonel

Newly Enlightened
I've got a few Solitaires. One has corroded.

How did you get the LED to work on 1.5volts? I'm actually interested if you write a 'how to' thread.

toughCookie

Newly Enlightened
I got lazy and just bought an LED upgrade for my solitaire from ebay. Just search for solitaire LED :rolleyes:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
I've got a few Solitaires. One has corroded.

How did you get the LED to work on 1.5volts? I'm actually interested if you write a 'how to' thread.
he used a 12v battery instead, which is filled with button cells. it was a common mod back before lights like the fenix e0 and e01 showed up.

daf3m

Enlightened
Either a 12V A23 battery in series with an appropriate resistor(Ohms vary with the led used(color,size),either 3 button cells , 4.5Volts total(probably extrcted from the A23 battery).

Instead of 5mm LED you can use a 3mm-still does the job- and with a nail file remove the "lip" from the base of the emitter.I've modded mine solitaire with a red one for "tactical" use as a pilot light (sometimes finger)..Also replaced the spare bulb with a 3mm white LED :)

image00003vi.jpg

image00002sw.jpg

image00001l.jpg

Last edited:

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Modded my first flashlight ever. A solitare! It was actually pretty easy. It is using a 5mm LED from one of the free battery junction keychain lights that didn't work. So I unsoldered it, and made it work with a 12 volt battery. I'm guessing somewhere above 10 lumens OTF based on comparing it to my iTP on medium (18 lumens). It is hilarious the way it functions cause I drilled the reflector horribly and its not even round! :crackup: But it is more useful than the old incandescent. I would guess it is about like a Fenix E01 in terms of output, even though I don't have one. Just thought I'd share it with you guys cause I'm pretty excited about it! :hitit:

I did the same thing only I went to radio shack and bought the LED. I hated drilling the reflector out LOL.

Cole07

Enlightened
Here are some pics enjoy! :grin2: Edit* sorry for bad quality, not a very good camera and extra shaky hands doesn't fare well for taking pictures. Also, the date on my camera is off. I just took these photos tonight.
MagliteLED001.jpg

I used a pen spring and put it in with the stretched out regular spring. Surprisingly it works pretty well. No ohm resistor on this one.
MagliteLED002.jpg

MagliteLED003.jpg

MagliteLED005.jpg

MagliteLED006.jpg

MagliteLED007.jpg

iTP A3 on medium on right, regular solitare middle, LED solitare right.
MagliteLED008.jpg

Regualr Solitare left, LED Solitare middle, iTP on medium right (18 lumens).
MagliteLED009.jpg

Regualr Solitare, LED solitare iTP on low (about 3 lumens).

Last edited:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
with no resistor using the entire cell, you're going to burn that puppy up in a hurry.

i'd recommend disassembling it and using 3-4 of the button cells inside.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
you'll burn up the led.

if you disassemble the battery, there are 8 coin cells inside. i'd use 4 of them.

Cole07

Enlightened
Ha I'm kind of afraid to. What if it isn't coin cells? What if its alkaline battery juice?

Cole07

Enlightened

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
there is no chemistry that could give you 12v without having smaller cells inside. it HAS to be some button cell.

output will be less, but your led life as-is will be measured in minutes or hours before it burns out. you can already see the angry-blue of being horribly overdriven.

a little tape around the outside of the 4 button cells works fine.

Cole07

Enlightened
Ok I'm about ready to pull the trigger on taking apart this battery, but one more thing before I do, what should I use to make contact with the battery now, because my spring probably won't work. :mecry:

Cole07

Enlightened
Ha no offense but that what kind of a dumb answer... But like what? A piece of wrapped up foil or what?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
the possibilities are endless. a cylinder of foil, a bolt or screw, rod of metal, dowel with wire coiled on either end and through a hole/groove along the length (this is how you do a resistor to use the full A23 battery), pieces of old metal pens, broken drill bits, etc.

the possibilities of wires, foils, rods, cylinders, tubes, etc. are literally endless.

Cole07

Enlightened
the possibilities are endless. a cylinder of foil, a bolt or screw, rod of metal, dowel with wire coiled on either end and through a hole/groove along the length (this is how you do a resistor to use the full A23 battery), pieces of old metal pens, broken drill bits, etc.

the possibilities of wires, foils, rods, cylinders, tubes, etc. are literally endless.
Wait, so I could make a resistor? Because for $5 dollars, this battery was not cheap. And I don't want to take it apart. (I'm a teenager and I have no money) :broke: what would be an ideal resistor for this?