FourSevens        
Page 271 of 272 FirstFirst ... 171221261264265266267268269270271272 LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,130 of 8143

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Southern Spain has been experiencing some of the worst storms in the past 100 years during the past few days, many roads are washed away and the death toll is currently at 5.

I got woken up at 4.00am by a thunderstorm, the lightning was continuous, literally 3-4 flashes per second, which continued for an hour!!

I've never seen anything like it before and because we live 1200' up a mountain we were in the cloud so couldn't see the individual flashes, they sky just lit up.

We'd lost main electricity so I decided to grab a flashlight and check to make sure we were ok, I decided to grab my Surefire G3 which has a Malkoff M61LL, my decision was based on do I want to grab a metal flashlight in the circumstances!! LOL

We only had about 1" of rain and no damage fortunately. I think people to the east of us will have come off worse as the area with the worst flooding had another downpour overnight!!

I pressed my PD36R into service for the first time, inspecting connectors on a patch panel. I like the built-in charging port and the higher output than the PD35, however it feels slightly more slippery in my hand than the PD35 does. I'm not sure what to do about this yet.

Not sure if this counts but.... Bought a 47 lumens rated LED Blue bodied Maglite Solitaire at a Brick & mortar hardware store. Couple of hours later, tossed it into a 6"x6"x6" box along with a gorgeous combination purple and blue titanium whistle to mail off to an ASMR friend of mine as a "Thank You" gift for her continued support of my channel on Youtube. (Not an ASMR one.) Also, obligatory she doesn't do Adult content disguised as ASMR. She's the real thing. (In case anyone is wondering, no; not the same one as last time. That one turned out to be a selfish user of people.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Not sure if this counts but.... Bought a 47 lumens rated LED Blue bodied Maglite Solitaire at a Brick & mortar hardware store. Couple of hours later, tossed it into a 6"x6"x6" box along with a gorgeous combination purple and blue titanium whistle to mail off to an ASMR friend of mine as a "Thank You" gift for her continued support of my channel on Youtube. (Not an ASMR one.) Also, obligatory she doesn't do Adult content disguised as ASMR. She's the real thing. (In case anyone is wondering, no; not the same one as last time. That one turned out to be a selfish user of people.)
    This resulted in one of those rare moments of googling something and realising you have never heard of this, and it appears to be pretty big! Thank you, Iím off to youtube a few videos now.

As to lights: I recently got back into cycling, so I bought a light mount for the handlebar. Popped a 6P (with original LED module) in there for this morningís pre-dawn ride. It worked pretty well, but I could do with more spill, so will try a different drop-in next time.

Inspecting underseal after a coating

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    This resulted in one of those rare moments of googling something and realising you have never heard of this, and it appears to be pretty big! Thank you, Iím off to youtube a few videos now.

As to lights: I recently got back into cycling, so I bought a light mount for the handlebar. Popped a 6P (with original LED module) in there for this morningís pre-dawn ride. It worked pretty well, but I could do with more spill, so will try a different drop-in next time.
    Happy to help. PM me if you need channel recommendations, as I know who the good ones are by now.... and which ones to avoid. Oh, BTW; most of the women who do ASMR are blessed with the Fountain Of Youth Effect. Nearly all of them look many years significantly younger than they are. But that benefit comes with a cost, as almost all of them suffer from some very serious psychological issues. (Not even trying to be funny. I'm serious.) But they do put out wonderfully relaxing content. So, highly recommend trying ASMR if you get stressed out.

Also.... That particular ASMR-tist mentioned earlier has already emailed me and said she's already used the Solitaire after receiving it. Testing the outlets in her house, at night. I was so happy to hear she loves it!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Hey monocrom, I checked the tube and enjoyed the walk in the woods. Damn thatís relaxing, probably a good thing to watch last thing at night for me before sleep.

As for flashlights, used the md2 tri cap with xhp35 HI to navigate downstairs , get a juice and back up. Little over kill, but we all love overkill.

It is very commonplace, my friend stood on a stepladder and changed a light bulb, more precisely, he pulled out the remnants of a rotten socle from years of water damage, I shone from bottom to top with the help of clone of Jaxman E2L

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Inspecting underseal after a coating
    ven,
    you inspired me to post this.
    My car developed a misfire three days ago.
    I got back home, got my scanner out and got a misfire cyl 5 code. Fortunately cyl 5 is the easiest of the 8 to get to.
    My engine has plugs that are recessed into the block about 6 inches, and each has it's own ignition coil on top, each held in by a single thin bolt. I planned to swap out the coil, as that is the most common fault. When I pulled the coil, and looked down into the recess at the plug, (with my trusty indestructible 2AA Rayovac that sits next to my ashtray in the car) I noted that there was about 1 inch of slimy water. I dried it out, blew it out with compressed air, and put it back together. I didn't see where the water (antifreeze) was coming from, but it wasn't obvious. The car ran fine. Yea!

Yesterday, it stumbled just a little bit here and there. No codes, but I pulled that coil again to see if it filled with antifreeze again. Nope, but there was some rust on one end of the coil. I cleaned that off. There was some slight seepage from the thermostat housing. IF I don't find something more exciting to do today, I may replace that seal.

While re-installing that coil, I dropped the bolt that holds it in place. Ping... ping... I hope it hit the ground! So my friend ven... out comes the light, lying it on the ground horizontally. Damn! It didn't make it. Back in the day, one used to be able to drop something into the engine compartment and watch it hit the ground. Not anymore!

It took more time to search for that bolt with the Rayovac; I had to remove a splash guard to find it, and fish it out with a magnetic probe, than to do the rest of the job!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Hey there poppy, hope your well my friend. So true, heck most engine bays are that tight your even lucky if it lands on the tray! . Years back it would be easy to find on the floor, yep thats a thing of the past. Thank god for magnetic extendable little devices!!! .....and for their mirror attachments to

Hope its just the stat seal/gasket. Lots of sealant in abundance will hopefully put an end to that.

The other week, i used the headlamp (same area at rear) to polish the back box and tail pipes...........so now i have something else to clean/maintain once a week.

Should have done a before pic, but it had a coat of dirt on it. Now like a mirror, T-cut and elbow grease, not forgetting the ZL lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Hey monocrom, I checked the tube and enjoyed the walk in the woods. Damn thatís relaxing, probably a good thing to watch last thing at night for me before sleep.

As for flashlights, used the md2 tri cap with xhp35 HI to navigate downstairs , get a juice and back up. Little over kill, but we all love overkill.
    Hey, brother. Glad I was able to help.

Lumintop IYP 365 on high mode to get a good look at a long back-wall at work for possible creepy critters in the wee hours of the morning. Nothing this time, but oh yes; sometimes I find something.

Hey ven,
    Things look pretty shiny on your side of the pond!
    Yeah, things are great and the grand kids (twins) continue to grow. 6' 2" with a size 14 shoe.

I'll use a flashlight later today to locate and pull out some camping gear for the weekend. Like flashlights.... we have too many duplicates, and then again... not enough

This won't be a happy one....

Lumintop IYP 365 on medium setting. Bored, decided to look inside my 16oz. Klean Kanteen. Realized that part of the stainless steel finish on the inside bottom had flaked off. What the hell?!?! Oh, and a very tiny bit of what looked like black mold on the very inside of the rim. Could not BELIEVE what I was seeing! Had that insulated bottle going about 5 years. Used it with my Work Bag. Straight into the trash bin! No clue what the hell happened. Going to use a different waterbottle from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Hey ven,
    Things look pretty shiny on your side of the pond!
    Yeah, things are great and the grand kids (twins) continue to grow. 6' 2" with a size 14 shoe.

I'll use a flashlight later today to locate and pull out some camping gear for the weekend. Like flashlights.... we have too many duplicates, and then again... not enough
    Haha, not at the moment, tail end of that hurricane........well its just rain at the moment, no wind yet. One little drive up the road, its like its never been cleaned!
    Its crazy how quick time goes by, glad your still going camping. Nothing wrong with too many choices

Today i used my h2r working, the d4 and g2 with sst20 p60 in, to show someone a few flavours of light. This was after someone showed me a torch he had borrowed and work paid for , £170 for a built in 18650 usb torch, with what looked like an xm-l2. Realistic, worth maybe £30, but stung(read ripped off) by a certain parts company .We did laugh about the stupidity and how ironic when always trying to save money!

I used a ProTac HL4 on medium for a few hours to illuminate a leaking water main repair while the crew made the repair.

The crew was very happy how well it lit their muddy trench while the frosted optic provided glare free illimination like a COB on steroids.
    John 3:16

It was supposed to be a four bolt fifteen minute repair!

I thought coolent was leaking from the thermostat housing, (two bolts), but no, on closer inspection... it is the crossover pipe four bolts. After half an hour of gently tapping the aluminum housing and prying it, it wouldn't come loose. Time to check youtube. Oh NO!!! you have to pull the whole intake manifold, and all the stuff attached to the top of it!

I used the 2 AA Rayovac with its narrow beam whenever needed.

In the process, I snapped the EGR tube. I plan to bring it in the morning to a welding shop to see if they can weld a fix to the snapped tube. I couldn't get it off of the EGR, and if I use a fire wrench, I think I would ruin the EGR itself.

That does not sound like fun at all, hopefully soon sorted and ready for weekend.

I finished up a couple of hours after dark, using a pair of florescent drop lights, and my trusty Rayovac.
    I didn't start her up in the dark, I wanted to check for leaks... gas, or antifreeze in day-light.

This morning, I turned the key to ON... nope, no fuel leaks! Then started her up, and after a bit... no coolent leaks!

OK off to the welding shop... nope, can't weld it. Need to replace it and it is a dealer only part. My local dealer could get one tomorrow, but of course, I want one NOW! Another dealer had one, not too far away, so off I go. $110 for the part, and 2 hours labor.

Good news... Bad news.

So after all this, while driving to work, I noticed that my car wasn't handling properly, it wasn't tracking properly, like driving on a very windy day. Hmmm, how many miles since I had the front end checked? 40,000 miles? Hmmm, the temps have dropped a little bit. I wonder if I have low pressure in my tires?

Well, when I got to work I had good news, and bad news.
    Bad news: I have a flat tire!
    Good news: I have a flat tire!
    $20 and it is fixed, and no problem with the front end. YEA!!!

I put the batteries in my Rayovac on charge. They were pretty well depleted, but they served me well.

I used my PD35 on medium to illuminate an electrical box for a contractor while he was working around a live circuit. Thankfully no sparks!

TO check the back of my work PC and make sure everything is OK.

The ethernet port of the PC decided to kick the buket last night, didn't bother trouble shooting it before I left work yesterday...

Guess who has to deal with a PC with none work Ethernet in the morning... oh yeah, me.

Damn, glad all good now poppy. Hopefully now you can use the Rayovac on more relaxing and enjoyable applications which dont cost money.

went to my brother's last night with a new klarus xt21x to test/show off. took along a few others to compare (x7,tk35,s6330 and a tm26) i'm sure his neighbors were wondering what was up. the klarus is a nice light, held its highest mode longer than i thought and after a few minutes would kick back up to full output repeatedly. i should probably look for some better batteries for the x7, they only kicked back to the high mode once(but i didn't top them off before hand). the beam of the klarus was a little farther and wider than the tm26. even the zebralight worked well, but is got the hottest of the bunch. well worth the trip across town.
    it's just different on my planet..

Enlightened

Took kids down to hotel jacuzzi after dinner and found the lights didnít work. Turned on my ZL H600c underwater and lit it up!

(much panic from family... ďbut you love your lights... what if it isnít waterproof?Ē )

Now that's impressive! The fact that you had your ZL with you at the pool.

Enlightened

Now that's impressive! The fact that you had your ZL with you at the pool.
    Sigh... busted... noticed the jacuzzi lights didnít work the previous day and was looking forward to the opportunity / hoping no one else called maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInTheSun View Post
    Sigh... busted... noticed the jacuzzi lights didnít work the previous day and was looking forward to the opportunity / hoping no one else called maintenance
    LOL... Thanks for the laugh!!!

Now I wonder how many of us will be looking for a similar opportunity?

OK... still laughing.
    I just read your story to my daughter, and she laughed. Then your sigh... busted... comment, and she REALLY LAUGHED out loud, all the while, pointing AT ME!
    Last edited by Poppy; 10-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Enlightened

she REALLY LAUGHED out loud, all the while, pointing AT ME!
    Sounds like she knows you well and you might be busted too

Busted? Yeah a long time ago
    It hard to hide my fascination with lights when I take pictures like this.

Hmmm, is that a picture of a flashlight? OR of ice skaters at Rockefeller Center during the winter?

So I'm doing some housework after dinner and my flashlight came in handy.

A dark colored crock pot with a slightly burnt ring of teryaki sauce, is it clean yet?
    Watering plants slowly, has all of the soil become wettened?
    Cleaning the filter system to the aquarium, is all of the 'scum' been removed?
    Vacuuming underneath the sofa and chairs, under the bed etc, in dark corners, under tables etc, is all of the dog hair gone?
    Putting away summer clothes in the attic, cleaning behind the comode, a whole host of things.

I have 3 black dogs who shed about a 5 gallon bucket a week it seems and shadows galore in my house. So instead of turning on lights every where I just slid a flashlight in my pocket and used it about 20 times this evening. While my coworkers are at Americas Fitness working out with all kinds of gear with who knows what germs I got in my squates, stretches, stairs and even a bit of cardio while Mrs Fixer was at work. Sometimes she'll ask me why the house never seems to get dirty and I just shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno".ÖÖ
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-03-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    John 3:16

Page 271 of 272 FirstFirst ... 171221261264265266267268269270271272 LastLast