Imalent        
Page 278 of 278 FirstFirst ... 178228268271272273274275276277278
Results 8,311 to 8,324 of 8324

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

When our power goes out I boil water on the gas stove, pour that into a thermos then pour from the smaller mouth of the thermos over the coffee grounds a little at a time.

When Irene hit we were new to the block and the only one a few doors down who did not have an electric stove. Not knowing that yet we knocked on a few doors the next morning offering free coffee to some mighty grateful neighbors.
    We envisioned them later talking with their family members saying "those beverly hillbillies that just moved in are ok afterall".

I used a yuji'd sofirn to see my way around at a 4:30am nature call and went back to bed and slept in until 5:15.

Cool dog idle. Good for you rescuing that dude.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-18-2020 at 06:16 AM.
    John 3:16

My whole property is infested with nasty, invasive, highly poisonous cane toads. They're nocturnal, and flashlights are a must for spotting them.

Toad coloration ranges from brown, to tan, to gray, making them blend in easily with rocks and mulch, or be mistaken for organic debris in the middle of the lawn. At 5:30 AM this morning, my crappy, no-name flashlight couldn't light this one up from < 30 feet away well enough to distinguish it from lawn debris. The color washout from a junk LED made spotting it even tougher. I would have missed it (and the 25,000 eggs it would lay, if female) if I hadn't been walking that direction anyway. I almost missed another two hiding in rock gardens because of color washout.

So now I'm here to find an upgrade to my own flashlight in addition to shopping for a set of lights as someone else's Christmas gift.

These don't belong here and conservation authorities urge everyone to eliminate as many as possible to slow the breeding. If you live in uninfested areas, consider yourself lucky.

Your dog will want to play with the toad and will promptly die from the poisoning. They're terrible for the native species, too, and destroying the biodiversity. These toxic eating machines have no natural predators.

(Image taken at 5:30 AM with a real camera flash. Definitely not flashlight illumination.)

Just had a 30 minute power cut, so used my Nitecore 21700 Intelligent Battery System to light the living room. Quite reassuring that it would last for 19 hours in an emergency.

^^ cool!!

I used a flashlight as fill light to photograph a flashlight. Then after dark I shined a flashlight in my back yard just for kicks and giggles.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

This morning I used my tiny nugget to take a trip off my porch to scare the bear out of my yard and away from my bird feeder
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

@bigburly912: and I thought the occasional stray cat, opossum, and raccoon was something here in the city. Bears are a whole different ball game!
    Prometheans #253

Last used to check my sons diaper, gotta love that moonlight. P2 MKIII

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    This morning I used my tiny nugget to take a trip off my porch to scare the bear out of my yard and away from my bird feeder
    Gah! Was it a black bear or a brown bear?

Flashaholic*

Iím in Virginia. Only aggravating black bear here.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I used my Nitecore E4K to see if I could light paper on fire (option as an emergency firestarter). I filled in a large circle on a paper towel with a black sharpie. I then used the 4400 lumen light on turbo from less than an inch away. Within 2 20 second bursts on turbo, I had burned a hole through the paper towel. Using an l.e.d. flashlight to make fire was a success.

A co-worker asked to borrow my PD-36R to see above a drop ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    A co-worker asked to borrow my PD-36R to see above a drop ceiling.
    Good old Fenix to the rescue

I've been lurking in this thread for years before making this account, and I have to tell you, PW, your loyalty to one single torch in all these posts of yours is something I appreciate. You really get all the value out of the lights you buy.

I've been hearing what sounds like a distressed coyote in a neighbor's yard while walking the dogs at night. This evening while walking past I saw something moving that was about the size of a raccoon or possum near their house while also making something like the sound I'd been hearing. Decided that safety (and a dose of curiosity) was more important than etiquette, and pointed the floody D4 at the movement on turbo. The object suddenly re-formed and re-oriented itself into the shape of the front half of a dog, righted itself, barked at me indignantly a few times, then retreated into the backyard.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Co1s on low to apply lip moisturizer to my 4y/o after lights out

Page 278 of 278 FirstFirst ... 178228268271272273274275276277278