ArmyTek        
Page 263 of 264 FirstFirst ... 163213253256257258259260261262263264 LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,890 of 7907

Thread: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Default Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Whenever my mom and nephew have dinner with us, I follow them home because my mother is in her 80's and my nephew has Down's Syndrome. Granny and Scott live in the woods. I always L@@K for boogie men as I walk them to their back door.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Default What did you use your flashlight for today?

Every morning and night I use my flashlight to walk my dog.

But, last night I heard the dog moving around in the house, and went to check on her. I used the moonlight setting on my D3a to move around without disturbing anyone. Perfect amount of light to get around the house without waking anyone who is sleeping.
    Last edited by Berneck1; 01-29-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berneck1 View Post
    Every morning and night I use my flashlight to walk my dog.

But, last night I heard the dog moving around in the house, and went to check on her. I used the moonlight setting on my D3a to move around without disturbing anyone. Perfect amount of light to get around the house without waking anyone who is sleeping.
    Well?
    What did you find?
    John 3:16

My Olight S1 Mini Baton HCRI paid for itself today.

Did some PCB rework soldering on an industrial wifi router - installed two "u.fl" board connectors and moved some 0201 size capacitors around.

An 0201 capacitor is about the size of a grain of sand. You need a lot of light in a very tight space for this kind of stuff, the S1 was small enough to fit inside the product and illuminate the work area brilliantly.

I didn't even buy this torch for this kind of work but now I realise that it is ideal for electronics work because it doesn't get in the way!
    Last edited by wosser; 01-29-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Olight S30R Baton III Olight S1 Baton Mini HCRI Klarus XT2CR Tactical Svetlina Custom

Quote Originally Posted by wosser View Post
    My Olight S1 Mini Baton HCRI paid for itself today.

Did some PCB rework soldering on an industrial wifi router - installed two "u.fl" board connectors and moved some 0201 size capacitors around.

An 0201 capacitor is about the size of a grain of sand. You need a lot of light in a very tight space for this kind of stuff, the S1 was small enough to fit inside the product and illuminate the work area brilliantly.

I didn't even buy this torch for this kind of work but now I realise that it is ideal for electronics work because it doesn't get in the way!
    You should try a headlamp if you haven't already. I find them very convenient while working with my hands. The light is always right where you need it. I recommend a mule or floody high CRI Zebralight.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    You should try a headlamp if you haven't already. I find them very convenient while working with my hands. The light is always right where you need it. I recommend a mule or floody high CRI Zebralight.
    Funny you should say that, I am currently looking for a headlamp style light at the moment for non-electronics work.
    Mule is a brand? I'll take a look at the zebralight range, thanks.

For electronics (or at least the kind that I am involved with) I find headlamps are rather impractical.
    Olight S30R Baton III Olight S1 Baton Mini HCRI Klarus XT2CR Tactical Svetlina Custom

Funny you should say that, I am currently looking for a headlamp style light at the moment for non-electronics work.
    Mule is a brand? I'll take a look at the zebralight range, thanks.

For electronics (or at least the kind that I am involved with) I find headlamps are rather impractical.
    A "Mule" is a light without a traditional reflector or optic. ZL makes a number of mule offerings in their headlamps. They just have a glow in the dark translucent reflector and cast about as even of light as possible. They are perfect for up close work imo. No problem👍.

Yeah, it definitely depends on your application but, I will say that a high CRI mule headlamp may change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    A "Mule" is a light without a traditional reflector or optic. ZL makes a number of mule offerings in their headlamps. They just have a glow in the dark translucent reflector and cast about as even of light as possible. They are perfect for up close work imo. No problem.

Yeah, it definitely depends on your application but, I will say that a high CRI mule headlamp may change your mind.
    I do enjoy the HCRI lights I've seen, that's for sure. Thanks for the tips about the other types.

Ta.

A tractor trailer got stuck making a delivery at work tonight. Driver had no chains, go figure. Why would you carry chains in Pennsylvania in January? Frelux Synergy, shovel and salt and an hour later he was out.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

I do enjoy the HCRI lights I've seen, that's for sure. Thanks for the tips about the other types.

Ta.
    No problem man, anytime👍.

I didn't use it as I forgot it when I left for work😔. That's one of the first times I didn't have a light with me in a long time and it felt terrible. I actually had to use my phone at one point😳.

Talking Re: What did you use your flashlight for today?

Closing up the chicken coop/compound in our predator-rich area, then pouring a beer from my kegerator outside. Does that count...?

Well, when you work with your back turned to this:

You want to make sure as the segments are assembled like a long chunk of lego, that the joints are fastened properly. When a segments is assembled correctly it can with stand being hit by a loaded dump truck at 65mph without issue. Not connected properly can be deadly for workers.

But how do you see if they are correct in bright sunshine?

Can you see the joint?
    Me neither.

Still can't

Aha!!!
    PR-1 to the rescue.
    That's on medium.

^ There are lots of dark places in broad daylight.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Mr. Fixer, you never cease to amaze me, right along with Woods Walker, Ven, and a host of others here.

I bet I’m not the only poster who wishes we all lived on the same block! How fun that would be!

I used my BLF Q8 to explore a large decommissioned military installation.

Tonight I used my flashlight to light my work as I installed LED headlights in my girlfriend's car. Then I took it for a drive to make sure they didn't look like crap. (I didn't need the flashlight for that second part.)

I used a Fenix E01 to light a narrow aisle in a movie theater for others trying to get out before me. None said "ew look at that awful tint".

Mrs. Fixer and I saw "The Upside" at the theatre. Good movie you can watch with the kids in the room.

I couldn't afford to live near Ven due to trying to keep up with his toys, and Woods Walker's is always hiking so we'd never see him.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I used a Fenix E01 to light a narrow aisle in a movie theater for others trying to get out before me. None said "ew look at that awful tint".
    Those people sound like a bunch of noobs. The next time you do that, you should refer everyone to CPF so they can learn what an awful tint your E01 has.

Used my HDS 250 Rotary to walk the dog. I forgot how much 250 lumens really is. Specially when it's (really) dark.

Last night it was 60F / 15C after dark, so I fired up the grill. I used my M61 219b to illuminate a glorious rib eye steak while it sizzled for a short time to savory, rare, pink perfection.

Life is good. Use Nichia. Eat steak.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meat is food.

Unless you are a herbivore that is...

Me, I love animals... They taste great😋.

Moderation is just around the corner.

I love pig and cow; had both in a lasagna last night. Neither one had more personality than a dog, so I ate them.

~ Chance

That pig has to be way more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres for me to not eat it.

I used my flashlight for....well actually nothing but it seemed prudent to talk about what I used a flashlight for in the what I used my flashlight for thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Moderation is just around the corner.

~ Chance
    Indeed!......... Too much meat all the time is bad for you. Moderation of one's diet is important.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Last night while watching "Real Time" on HBO at 8:20 PM lost power. Had my tiny Nebo Mycro in my pocket so no fumbling to find my Big Bruiser 3000 lumen light. Threw the switches to bring on line a 3 kwhr lithium battery bank and 3 kw inverter. Ran on battery power the lights, computer, TV and electric heater till power was restored at 10:05 PM. When power first went out I called the power company and heard through their recorded message that the entire town of Columbus, New Mexico was effected by the outage and they had no time frame for renewed service. I live in a residential airpark 3 miles north of town. Here is what 3 kwhr of Lifepo4 lithium cells look like. Only 60 lbs total weight for all 8 cells.

A great flashlight is one that is always in your pocket. At 400 lumens for a keychain light it gets the job done. With a very small LiPo battery a run time of 90 minutes at 150 lumens makes it my favorite light.

Last edited by deckofficer; 02-09-2019 at 04:49 PM.

It's very impressive that you were able to power your electric heat. That's beyond my limited knowledge of what's possible. Batteries for the win!

~ Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    It's very impressive that you were able to power your electric heat. That's beyond my limited knowledge of what's possible. Batteries for the win!

~ Chance
    That is one of the major differences between lead acid and lithium chemistry. On a lead acid battery you have to deal with Peukert's law which in simple terms, the heavier the current draw, ahr ratings are degraded to a lower amount. Voltage sag on a deep cycle 100 ahr lead acid battery is about 20% at 100 amp load (1C) while the same load on a lithium battery of the same capacity is about 2%. Another advantage of lithium is its ability to cycle 20 times more and discharge much deeper for that 20X more life cycles.

FYI, the electric heater I was powering on batteries is a 18" parabolic reflector type instead of a typical space heater. It gives off radiant heat like a fireplace instead of just circulating air and heating it at 1500 watts. With the reflector 3' from me I stay toasty on the 600 watt level.
    Last edited by deckofficer; 02-09-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Used my Armytek Wizard Pro Warm and Fenix TK09 to build a new computer for my company. It booted up on the first try which is always great!

Page 263 of 264 FirstFirst ... 163213253256257258259260261262263264 LastLast