Modifying the Inova XO3

Enlightened
Does anyone here have any experience modifying the Inova XO3? I have the model that uses a reflector rather than an optic and has a K2 LED. I've always liked this light because of it's build quality but have always been disappointed with the output.

I'd like to swap out the LED and the driver and, if necessary, the reflector. After searching CPF I found out about the freezing method of opening this light but not much else. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have a few Inovas, and I did a lot of reading on them in the past. Never really seen much info on modding them when I did all my digging.

The XO3 has been upgraded a few times by Inova, and the packaging doesn't always reflect any changes.

I have one that is about a year ago. It's my EDC light - and my first LED flashlight purchase. I am satisfied with it. I have a smooth reflector. The newest version has an orange peel reflector, and is rated at 135 lumens. If I didn't already have a new Inova T2-MP rated at 140 lumens, I'd likely buy one of the newer ones to compare with my 1 year old XO3.

I do notice that the newer Inovas have a very cool light color, where as my XO3 is very warm.

I picked up two XOs about 2 months ago, and they have the newer orange peel reflectors. They seem to be the equal of my older XO3 in throw - just a little bit less of a light cone since the XO's reflector isn't as wide as the XO3's.

Overall, I like the Inova lights - almost bought a T5-MP a couple weeks ago too. But the store I ordered from told me that the model was discontinued, and they could not get anymore. That made me make the jump to Eagletac. I hope to get the Eagletac in my hands very soon.

Enlightened
Inova tends to make substantial changes without changing model numbers. I have the XO3 that was listed as being 5.8 watts on the package. The tint on this light is pleasantly warm but dim for being a 2x123 light and for that brightness, not very efficient.

I like the build quality of Inovas but their choice of electronics leaves a lot to be desired.

Mark

shipwreck

Enlightened
Well, until very recently, I was uuber satisfied with the light. I carried it about a year. I then discovered this website and did a lot of reading, when I needed two rifle lights. I was still focused on Inovas - and was just reading reviews and such. I have noticed that most Inova reviews refer back to previous generations of the current models.

Hard to get reliable info that way.

I bought two XO models of the newest generation (they now have discontinued that model according to the ones on their website). There are brighter lights - but I didn't want a bunch of modes for my two carbines - just a simple on/off. and, the 5 hour battery life before it dims is exactly what I wanted. I had a standard scorpion light on 1 of the rifles before, so the Xo models are a great improvement.

Curiously, as I stated before, my XOs are as bright as my 1 year old XO3 (it too had 5.8 watts on the packaging when I bought it, but it listed that until the very newest generation of the XO3).

The XO3 does everything I need for an EDC light. And, I don't see the point in scratching up another light in my pocket.

But, after getting the last Inovas I have - I decided to venture out for something brighter :)

Enlightened
One of the bad things about CPF is that it can cause a certain dissatisfaction with your current lights and then points you to places where you can fix it.

At least that's the story of my slide into flashaholism.

shipwreck

Enlightened
One of the bad things about CPF is that it can cause a certain dissatisfaction with your current lights and then points you to places where you can fix it.

At least that's the story of my slide into flashaholism.

Yes - since my last post, my XO3 has been replaced by a 300 lumen eagletac.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a few Inovas and I looked into modding them as well. Unfortunately what I found was that they're extremely difficult to take apart and you could risk destroying the light if your modding skills aren't of a professional level. You could also probably find and pay someone with pro flashlight modding skills to do the job, but then you'd have to ask yourself whether it's worth it. In the end, I decided that it wasn't worth it. Consider getting a P60 based flashlight and you'll have endless customization or upgrades. There are many Chinese brands that support the format like Solarforce, Dereelight, Lumens Factory, Xeno, Fire-Kylin, Ultrafire, etc. Or if you must go for something domestic made in the USA, the originator of the format would be getting a Surefire. Get something like a Surefire 6P or C2 and go and buy arguably the best P60LED module in the Malkoff Devices M61. P60 compatible flashlights are my favorite format these days.

Enlightened
The thing is that I already have the light and am up for a challenge. I'm not much of a modder, just having replaced a few LEDs in the past, but this may turn into a good learning experience. Even if what I learn is not to try something so stupid again. Worst case scenario is that I ruin a light that I no longer use anyway.

Mark

ginaz

Enlightened
go for it. i'm in the process of resurrecting my first gen T1, with optic. always loved the feel of it and the beam but the output is woeful. i've got a K2 and a shiningbeam driver for it so we will see how it goes. i'll post a thread on it if all goes well. what is showing itself as the first hurdle is the reverse battery arrangement that inova likes for some reason. most drivers have that center pad as positive but the original inova board was neg. in order to reverse that i'm hoping a solder blob on the cap will be enough to make contact with the negative end of the battery.

be careful when you freeze-pop. i submerge the light in a bucket of water with the cap off. i screw the cap on under water and then dry it off. when in the freezer i keep it in a cup to keep the bezel end up. otherwise some water can seep past the led and crack your window or just ruin your reflector. i've done both!