Intermitent skipping modes on mini AA

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
When I started to use a 14500 battery on my Mini AA Ti, it worked ok for a while but then it started skipping modes. At first I thought it was because of the 14500 battery so I switched to primaries. The problem persisted, so I thought I had damaged my mini AA.

On close inspection of the inside of the head, I noticed that a small amount of lubricant was present in the bottom of the head, impeding proper electric contact. I cleaned it as well as the top part of the threads on the base and I'm happy to report that there is no more skipping by using either primaries or 14500s. :thumbsup:

Maybe this can help others with the same problem.

Cheers!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just the nature of the beast when it comes to twisties. They need regular cleaning and maintenance to stay in top working condition.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Agree with the.Mtn.Man. This happens with all twisties. The main culprit is the formation of black deposits ( carbon or soot?) on the contacts caused by arcing when the light is turned on/off. The more you use your light, the more frequent you have to clean it. No way around that.

edc3

Enlightened
Another thing I've noticed with my MiNi, as well as similar lights like the P1D is that if you're pushing the battery tube while you're twisting you'll make contact before you've twisted completely tight and get skips. I hope that makes sense.

Incan

Newly Enlightened
my aa2 quark did that when i first got it. i sprayed out the threads with electrical contact cleaner and re-lubed them. it works like a champ now. I just got the Warm White Mini AA. Does anyone know the CRI of these warm LED's? Ive heard the rule of thumb is ~80. It adds a sense of depth over the cool white versions, but not as good as an incandescent. Its a sweet tint and a sweet light though.