Beamshots: DX R2, P7, Triple P7, Custom Triple XP-G 20mm Carclo 10507 P60 host

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I'd like to post some comparison shots between a few of my lights (most of my lights). The key word, is a comparison between the few. I'm going to let you know right away that our digicam doesn't have full auto or semi-auto. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3, which is fabulous in lighted conditions and in shooting HD video in 12x zoom!!!!

What I was able to do what keep the same setting, for the most part, on all shots. For the actual beamshots and control shot, I set the camera to Starry Night mode with a 15s exposure. I think it worked out well enough. The bad part is that I took the shots right behind our duplex in the city. There was several stray ambient light points BUT I still think these pictures show good enough comparisons.

Now, I rushed it and forgot to charge my good cells, but I still managed to use one cell throughout the whole process, except for the triple p7. I used a brand new, purchased this year, trustfire black/red 2400mah 18650. I do know that in DD it can pull ~4.5A+. So it seems to be a capable cell. And, it seems that the voltages didn't change too much when I switched it into the different lights. It started out at ~4.05V and after the testing it measured ~3.99V. In my backyard, I aimed the lights at the flat face of the pitch (point) of the neighborhing roof which google says is about 100ft (~30m). When I get the chance, I think I have a better spot to take my next set of beamshots.

Control shot of semi-manual mode: (1/4)0.25 exposure, ISO 100, Daylight
1-controlshotbeta025sexposure.jpg

Actual control shot I am using: Starry night mode, 15s exposure
2-controlshotstarrynightmode15sexpo.jpg

I tested my iTP A3 Eos on high which is known to be 80 Lumens but, I never checked the current. In the picture, it couldn't throw far enough OR should I say, that the beam wasn't narrow or powerful enough to penetrate the ambient lighting and hit the target.
3-itpa3eoshighmodestarrynightmode15.jpg

Next, the DX Single mode R2 3v-18v in dorcy metalgear shot reading 1.2A
4-dxr2starrynightmode15sexposure.jpg

Next, custom Triple XP-G R5 DD & Carclo 10507, UCL, in solarforce l2 reading ~4.2-4.4A
5-customtriplexpg20mmstarrynightmod.jpg

Next, Mag 2C P7 2.8A multilevel, plain glass window, self-stippled reflector reading ~2.0A
6-p7starrynightmode15sexposure.jpg

Last, Triple P7 Mag, Der Witchel heatsink, UCL on high of 2.8A
7-triplep7derwitchelsinkstarrynight.jpg

Please comment and tell me your thoughts. It's fun to be able to take some beamshots and show these things ya know.

Last edited:

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
Ugh, another noob failing. I hosted the pictures on my google sites page. And while I was typing my stuff, I used the Insert Image button and pasted the image url. Was that correct?

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
I think I did it correctly. I can see the images on all browsers that I try.

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
I did not necessarily know what to expect beam wise with the carclo 10507. It does have a broad hotspot, broder than my single p7 and more similar to my triple p7. It throws a decent amount but still not quite close to the r2 or p7. I imagined it to be a decent thrower with a large hotspot, but it doesn't throw as much as I'd like. I feel like it has similar output.....sort of ..... to the triple p7 on medium.

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
Ugh, I see the problem. Well, hopefully this link will be able to show you the pictures.

sites.google.com/site/beamshots

I'll see what I can do. I guess I might have to go to photobucket or something.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Powerup! I see the lights! lol Nice beamshots. Very impressed with the output of the two mags you have. Do you have pictures of the lights themselves?

Noctis

Enlightened
Will there be more beamshots with settings tweaked to match how the beams will actually look like to the naked eyes?

Overexposure is a pet peeve of mine. It makes a Malkoff M60 look about as bright is a 1000 OTF lumen light, only to disappoint me again when I point the M60 around in the dark to find it pitifully dark, leaving me to wonder where that beamshot went.

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
Here you go ninemm,

Pictures of the 1xp7 mag 2c and the triple p7 mag 3d. I'm not sure why you'd ask for pictures because they are as generic as they come. Oh, and my stipple job is very poor, possibly from doing it in last summers heat, but it still has a great beam. The hotspot isn't all too defined but it's there and there aren't any artifacts.

P1000964.jpg

P1000957.jpg

P1000955-1.jpg

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
I have a sudden urge to build a triple P7 Mag lol.

Nice shots and thanks for posting them.

Latest posts