want great throw, plus floody hot spot. too much to ask?

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Is it too much to ask for? I have an M20 R2. Love it. I have a Quark Mini 123. Love it. I want the best of both worlds. It can be M20 sized or SLIGHTLY/MODERATELY larger. I want to be able to carry it comfortably for hour long night walks and spot deer 200 yards away. (Think: runtime.) I want to be able to spot the moon, and light up the baseball field. OK, exaggerations, but you get the drift. What is this light? I have the flashlight bug, and I need my fix. It isn't the Catapult. Too big. (But would love it!). Is it the M20 R5? Is it another Quark? A Fenix PD30 R4 or TK whatever? What about the new Dereelight SST-50? I haven't seen ANY reviews of that or read of anyone owning one. a Lumamax sst-50? or MCE? Olight M30? You get to choose! Price is (almost) no object. Thanks.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a compromise you will have to choose. A smaller, farthur throwing hot-spot has less flood, More flood equals a reduction in throw. Best to choose what your maximum need is, in regards to throw. Then choose the light that can accomplish that with the largest hot-spot. It is difficult to do because throw requirements are different for everybody. Depends a lot on how light/dark the target is and how big it is. I think you will find that an SST-50 light with at least 12,000 to 15,000 lux will give you the throw you need for 200 yards. After that the more lumens the better for flood.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
An SST-90 with a 3 mode driver should do the trick. This emitter always puts out a smooth beam with bright spill. The throw from them is great too. Even running at spec on high they are super bright.

Maybe a nailbender or similar dropin for an 18650 host?

Noctis

Enlightened
Sounds like you could use an FM D36 1x26650 host with a Nailbender 3 mode SST-90 drop-in.

4000mAh should give you over an hour of runtime. The D36 reflector should give you a lot more throw.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the light I just got today which is the Uniquefire HS-802. It uses (1) 18650, has a 50 mm head with a wide and deep reflector using a XR-E R2.

cityevader

Enlightened
It sounds like the light I just got today which is the Uniquefire HS-802. It uses (1) 18650, has a 50 mm head with a wide and deep reflector using a XR-E R2.

I recently got a Uniquefire XP-G 1x18650 from DX for $22.....So amazed with it I bought more!!!!

Hotspot throws wonderfully and the spill is fabulous.

red02

Enlightened
Skip the dx/kd stuff. I've been waiting for my AK106 for next to a year now.

Wolfeyes Krait maybe for you. It has an adjustable beam from total flood to total throw. I think Wolfeyes has a 2xcr123 version of the Krait forget the name tho.