HDS Systems        

Thread: 1 x 18650-powered screwdriver?

Flashaholic

Default 1 x 18650-powered screwdriver?

Hello, I'm usually over in the various flashlight forums so I'm not certain this is in the right place.

A Li-ion screwdriver would be a nice thing to have. Unfortunately I'm not impressed with the various models available in stores. They are all HUGE and BULKY!!! I want a tool small enough I can EDC it when needed, something like 1.25 inch diameter and 6 inches long. It must use standard 1/4" bits! It doesn't need a lot of torque, and a few hundred RPM would be ideal. Replaceable 18650 (flashlight style, not disassembly/soldering iron) would be great, but that would put it in the custom market and not likely to exist. Built-in cell would be OK, in which case it doesn't absolutely have to be an 18650. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Thank you!
    Last edited by lyyyghtmaster; 06-02-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: forgot bit about bits

Default Re: 1 x 18650-powered screwdriver?

Doubt it, but that would be really awesome

I think the reason why they don't exist is because the general consumers would get confused of the removable non-mainstream 18650 cell. Even though the 18650 is far superior to any alkaline or nimh.

I believe that this does excist in the form of three nimh batteries in series, taking a similar shape to the 18650. And is only chargeable through the OEM charger. I've definitely seen that before.

Flashaholic

Thanks! Yeah, that's true, such a device could not be sold mainstream. I could go for one using 3 NiMH if it was small enough, no right-angle handle (folding or otherwise). 3 x AAA would probably provide enough power for what I have in mind. Do you think it used AAA-sized cells or AA?

The one I saw used manufacturer's the three cell Nimh battery pack. And did not accept any other battery type.

Flashaholic

Hmm, maybe it can be convinced to accept an IMR 18650. If it's small enough I might try that...

Flashaholic

I found one: the Blue-Point ETPR9 pocket rocket 9V screwdriver. It's the right size but at only 5 in-Lb a bit weak even for my modest needs. I could settle for 15 or maybe even 10. I wonder if it would get more torque running an iPowerUS LiPo 9V? 9V alkalines are pretty weak after all. As long as it didn't draw enough current to trip the battery's protection... or maybe that would be a good indicator that the job is too big for it. Hmm...

$17.00 including shipping ... that's worth a try ... just pulled trigger. I'll see how it goes...
    Last edited by lyyyghtmaster; 06-09-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: addie

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by lyyyghtmaster View Post
    I found one: the Blue-Point ETPR9 pocket rocket 9V screwdriver. It's the right size but at only 5 in-Lb a bit weak even for my modest needs. I could settle for 15 or maybe even 10. I wonder if it would get more torque running an iPowerUS LiPo 9V? 9V alkalines are pretty weak after all. As long as it didn't draw enough current to trip the battery's protection... or maybe that would be a good indicator that the job is too big for it. Hmm...

$17.00 including shipping ... that's worth a try ... just pulled trigger. I'll see how it goes...

Well here I am again under a new name because my old laptop got stolen a couple years ago and I could in no way find my old non-CPFMP password

Anyway that driver was farrrrr too large for how weak it was and I wound up giving it away a couple years ago. These days I carry a 12V max Hitachi Li-Ion cordless drill and it's more than enough for most screwdriver tasks.

Still... to have a small, pocketable 18650 driver for those routine tasks... I suppose it's more of a James Bond item than anything else.

Thumbs up Re: 1 x 18650-powered screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by lyyyghtey View Post
    Well here I am again under a new name because my old laptop got stolen a couple years ago and I could in no way find my old non-CPFMP password

Anyway that driver was farrrrr too large for how weak it was and I wound up giving it away a couple years ago. These days I carry a 12V max Hitachi Li-Ion cordless drill and it's more than enough for most screwdriver tasks.

Still... to have a small, pocketable 18650 driver for those routine tasks... I suppose it's more of a James Bond item than anything else.
    Have you looked at the Speede screwdriver by Wiha? https://www.wihatools.com/speede

Looks very interesting, only problem is the pricing is way too high, and it uses a nonstandard battery.
    War... war never changes...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFastCarsFun View Post
    Have you looked at the Speede screwdriver by Wiha? ....
    OP might have found something by now, last activity here was several years ago ... actually in this thread
    ... is the archimedes peak