Olight M20R2 versus M20R5

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both of these lights? I have the original M20R2 and have just ordered the R5. Would like to know other than the 70 additional lumens of output, what the beam of the newer model is like compared to the older one. The advertising says it throws 30 meters further and yet I have read that it doesn't throw as far as the older model and instead has just a brighter and wider spill beam pattern? Can anyone "shed any light" on this for me?

Terry

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Does anyone have both of these lights? I have the original M20R2 and have just ordered the R5. Would like to know other than the 70 additional lumens of output, what the beam of the newer model is like compared to the older one. The advertising says it throws 30 meters further and yet I have read that it doesn't throw as far as the older model and instead has just a brighter and wider spill beam pattern? Can anyone "shed any light" on this for me?

Terry

I have the R2 and the so called "special ops" version of the R5. I believe that the characterization of "brighter and wider" is correct (at this point, just in-door check).

A couple of things that I really like on the new light are the side switch (one hand operation!) and the 5 lumen low which is noticeably lower than the low on the R2.

Next month the light should get a good field workout as it will travel with me (along with an early Ra/HDS light).

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
I have the R2 and the so called "special ops" version of the R5. I believe that the characterization of "brighter and wider" is correct (at this point, just in-door check).

A couple of things that I really like on the new light are the side switch (one hand operation!) and the 5 lumen low which is noticeably lower than the low on the R2.

Next month the light should get a good field workout as it will travel with me (along with an early Ra/HDS light).

Thanks for the reply Byron - I am curious about this new version of the M20 simply due to what I am reading so far about it and what Olight says about it. The older M20 states on the box that it throws a 250 meter beam, the new R5 version states on the box that it throws a 280 meter beam. Yet in some of the early comments on it, I have read that the R5 doesn't quite equal the throw of the older R2? Something not right somewhere? I ordered one anyway and will just have to wait and hope I did the right thing. I can use another light as a backup anyway and if the R5 isn't what I hope it is, I will simply use it as my backup. Hope a few others who have both lights and have done some full on testing with them will add their comments here. Thanks again.....................

Terry

sfca

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Byron - I am curious about this new version of the M20 simply due to what I am reading so far about it and what Olight says about it. The older M20 states on the box that it throws a 250 meter beam, the new R5 version states on the box that it throws a 280 meter beam. Yet in some of the early comments on it, I have read that the R5 doesn't quite equal the throw of the older R2? Something not right somewhere? I ordered one anyway and will just have to wait and hope I did the right thing. I can use another light as a backup anyway and if the R5 isn't what I hope it is, I will simply use it as my backup. Hope a few others who have both lights and have done some full on testing with them will add their comments here. Thanks again.....................

Terry

I think with that increased output if it is less throw, it will be barely noticeable.
What will be noticeable is more useful light and a better low mode (like Byron says).

If Olight also upgraded more then just the LED then you definitely got the better choice.