Why the Surefire A2L when there's an LX2?

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

New member here. Been skulking around for some time taking in all the wealth of knowledge here on the boards.

After looking over the specs for the A2L and the LX2, and they seem fairly similar across the board. Same UI, about the same size/weight, with the LX2 being the brighter of the two. Aside from the different colors offered by the A2, it seems as though SF has duplicated it's efforts, and I'm not sure why someone would purchase an A2L when the LX2 seems to be the an improved version. Any insight or opinions?

Not knocking the A2 by the way, I think it's a great light.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I guess aside from the color options it really comes down to the more floody output from the A2L, especially on low mode.

I'd personally carry the LX2 and the F04 beamshaper. More to carry but it covers most all needs.
I like my A2 running an incan bulb.

somber

Newly Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken doesn't the A2L have a 120 lumen / 10 lumen LED with different color options, as mentioned, but the LX2 has a 200 lumen TIR LED?

In Surefire lumens that's a huge difference.
Plus the beam between the lights, floody vs tir...
I'd say they couldn't be less alike, or even improvements on each other since they are so dissimilar.

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken doesn't the A2L have a 120 lumen / 10 lumen LED with different color options, as mentioned, but the LX2 has a 200 lumen TIR LED?

In Surefire lumens that's a huge difference.
Plus the beam between the lights, floody vs tir...
I'd say they couldn't be less alike, or even improvements on each other since they are so dissimilar.

I see. So the A2 beam is more floody as opposed to the LX2? That would make sense then. Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Comparing them side by side they are so very different. I choose to edc the LX2 over the A2L 99% of the time.
Whilst I appreciate the broad flood of the A2L's low beam, I prefer the LX2's high beam far more.
If there was a way to have both without increasing the size of the bezel and SureFire offered such a model I'd be sold!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
A TIR high beam and a ring of 4 LED's for low flood mode is my dream surefire.

The AZ2 is almost it, it just doesn't have the TIR for high!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Aside from the different colors offered by the A2, it seems as though SF has duplicated it's efforts, and I'm not sure why someone would purchase an A2L when the LX2 seems to be the an improved version. Any insight or opinions?

People haven't really emphasized this enough - but don't dismiss the different color LEDs. Although most people don't need this feature, if you need it, you need it. For example, I carry my LX2 most of the time. It's awesome. However, when I'm in my observatory, I am NOT going to use the LX2 because the brilliant white light will destroy my dark adaptation, and since this takes 30-45 minutes to recover, yeah, not happening.

The red A2L would be much more suitable. The other colors have their own applications. Again, not everyone needs this, but if you DO happen to need it, trust me, an LX2 is an UNSUITABLE substitute. Not to diss the LX2 - I think the LX2 is arguably the finest general purpose light built yet. The A2L is more of a specialty light. In general you are right, why would you buy it over the LX2? You simply wouldn't. However if you have a specialized need, then the situation is reversed.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
People haven't really emphasized this enough - but don't dismiss the different color LEDs. Although most people don't need this feature, if you need it, you need it. For example, I carry my LX2 most of the time. It's awesome. However, when I'm in my observatory, I am NOT going to use the LX2 because the brilliant white light will destroy my dark adaptation, and since this takes 30-45 minutes to recover, yeah, not happening.

The red A2L would be much more suitable. The other colors have their own applications. Again, not everyone needs this, but if you DO happen to need it, trust me, an LX2 is an UNSUITABLE substitute. Not to diss the LX2 - I think the LX2 is arguably the finest general purpose light built yet. The A2L is more of a specialty light. In general you are right, why would you buy it over the LX2? You simply wouldn't. However if you have a specialized need, then the situation is reversed.

This is a very good point. The LX2 seems like the more obvious choice for any general use, but I also have a specialized need to look around with minimal light yet keeping my options open for instant real light and therefore carry an A2L with red LED's. I previously carried an A2 with blue LED's, although I wish they made yellow ones since I theorize they give the best color rendition while still being stealthy.

Dennis.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A2L like the A2 really shine through use. I almost never 'don't mind' whether I pick either the A2L or the LX2 for a task or occasion - its easy to pick one or the other.
I happen to pick the LX2 for the majority of my uses and situations but the A2L certainly has its active place.

WDR65

Enlightened
I purchased the A2L first because I already had an E2DL with the TIR optic and didn't think I'd use the LX2 that much. Boy was I wrong. I can't explain it but after trading off a few nights and using each I just came to use the LX2 a lot more.

I tend to like Al's line of thinking. If they would make a low flood and a high TIR beam I wouldn't know what to do. Might have to sell all my other lights.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I'm not sure why these 2 lights were compaired to each other in the first place, 2 vastly different lights for different purposes.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Very different animals! I had both in Yosemite Nat'l Park a few months back. Walking in the forest at night, the A2L is a much more useful light. My opinion of the LX2 falls into the "mine is bigger than yours" realm. Nice light, but not my cup of tea.
2cents.gif

Lightsman

Newly Enlightened
The A2L has a much more flood beam, the LX2 is more a thrower and great for a larger distance.

Comparsion: A2L left, LX2 right both on low
A2L-LX2_Low.jpg

Comparsion A2L left, LX2 right both on high
A2L-LX2_High.jpg

The spill of the A2L is much larger on high. On low you have a larger bright area and not only one bright spot. I love my A2L it is a really great light. I prefer my A2L in comparsion to my LX2. It is more useful to have that large spill than the large throw of the LX2.

(Picture source)

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up an A2L-red. It is very useful for preserving night adapted vision, and lets face it, most people will use a flashlight at night.

The white primary beam is extremely useful. It isn't as bright or focused as my E2DL however it is more than adequate. I also like the fact that the low comes on first, and doesn't require the user to blind themselves in order to get to the low.