Quark Confusion

gifters

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a 4Sevens Quark and the whole different emitter heads and bodies confuses the crap out of me.

I like to run a single 18650 on a regular bases but would also like the option to run AA's in case I am unable to charge my 18650's

I want to be able to burn as bright as possible while running 18650's so I'm looking at getting a Quark Turbo. (P.S. whats going on with on with the MC-E's from 4Sevens? It seems like those were suppose to be out a year ago and still there are very few details that I've found)

I'm obviously looking at running running AA^2 and 18650 bodies but what I don't understand is how the different emitter heads interact with the different bodies. Call me stupid or confused but I'd like to get an edumacation in this area to better make a decision in what to buy.

Thanks

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
If you want to run 2 x aa and 18650 in the same torch you'll need to pick the AA2 Turbo cos 2 x aa's won't run the 2x123 Turbo head.

There's supposedly a small difference in brightness between the AA2 head and the 2x123 head when run on single Li-Ion but I can't see it in real life when I compare both mine together even in long range outdoor use so I'd not let any small loss of brightness (a few lumens) bother you in selecting the AA2 head.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just get the 2xAA and an 18650 body. If you're sure you want the Turbo, they all have the XP-G emitter, you need only to choose between cool and warm color temps (cool will be slightly brighter, warm better outdoors).
The MC-E lights will not be produced, but an XP-G thrower, and a few SST based light are due out soon(hopefully!).

gifters

Newly Enlightened
So with the AA^2 head, you're limited to 205 lumens or is it slightly higher?

And I swear I read another post that said the the 2 AA will run a 123^2 head, just not at the max potential, but this is the internet so both answers must be right!

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
And I swear I read another post that said the the 2 AA will run a 123^2 head, just not at the max potential, but this is the internet so both answers must be right!
I guess to an extent both answers are right. With fresh NiMH I've managed to get it to light up but it's in one of the two lowest levels (I can't remember which) and dimmed so quickly it was of no use whatsoever.

Why even consider it, you won't see the minuscule extra brightness over the AA2 on Li-Ion?

The 2x123 head is designed for 3.0 volts to 9.0 volts. Wishful thinking may or may not lower the design voltage........

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two heads for Quarks are diffentiated by the standard or high current drivers. These can be identified by the input range. Standard quark's get the 0.9v-4.5v boost/buck driver with current 700ma current at max. The 2x123's come with a 3.0-9.0v high output 'buck' only driver that offers 990ma on max.

OK, so what does that all mean.
Either standard or high head will run of a single 3.7v lithium cell, and side by side you wouldn't notice too much difference between the 700ma output and 990ma. (If you look waaay back, when quarks first came out some said they couldn't tell between 'high' and 'max', or 250ma and 700ma...)

Now you said you wanted it as bright as possible when on 18650...well that has nothing to do with it being a turbo head or a regular head. A turbo head with throw further (with concomitant less spill as more lumens focused into hot-spot) but a turbo head is not brighter.

In short, what you're asking for isn't possible, you can't have 'brightest possible' and still run off AA's.
If you want to run off non-lithium (nihm, alkaline), you should get the standard buck/boost driver. You can get this in the regular reflector or the bigger reflector 'turbo' model. Just don't buy the 2x123 (buck only) quark, because it can't raise the voltage and the huge performance hit you'd take is not nearly compensated for with the slightly increased output when used with 18650's.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 100 watt light bulb will give you 1400 lumens, yet will not light up things more than 30 feet away. To get a bright hotspot with more throw you need more lux, not just more lumens.

The turbo head gives you more lux, not more lumens. The AA² R5 and AA² R5 Tactical and AA² R5 Turbo are all 206 lumens, the turbo focusses more of that light increasing lux and throw.

The AA² R2 is only 170 lumens but because the LED works better with the reflectors can throw as well as the AA² R5 Turbo without the big head.

Note the AA² R2 and AA² R5 have a different UI than the AA² R5 Tactical and AA² R5 Turbo. You will find the difference in UI more important than the slight difference in brightness or throw.

If you are in the countryside looking at plants the neutral or warm whites will let you see better despite being dimmer.

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
so a 18650 body can run with a quark 123 turbo head? if so, anyone have runtime charts? thanks

Well, i guess so:

IMG_2425.JPG

Picture borrowed from run4jc in this thread.

I dont know about runtime tho, but if you search a bit here on the forum id bet you could find more info on that.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, a seperate 18650 body is required? Or can the 123 body accept the 18650?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had alot of fun "lego-ing" my Quarks! on 14500,cr123 and 18650 with my TURBO head as well as my RGB head!!!:twothumbs

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought (last week) a Quark AA Turbo, 18650 body, single 123 body so I can mix and match any battery I want, plus two different switches. I already have the Tactical head (XP-E version) so it's going to be fun. Might get another XP-G Tactical head to mix it up a bit.

Gotta love the Quark's lego ability.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that warm is looking mighty fine after the reviews I have been seeing.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Just get the 2xAA and an 18650 body. If you're sure you want the Turbo, they all have the XP-G emitter, you need only to choose between cool and warm color temps (cool will be slightly brighter, warm better outdoors).
The MC-E lights will not be produced, but an XP-G thrower, and a few SST based light are due out soon(hopefully!).

and

Thanks, that warm is looking mighty fine after the reviews I have been seeing.

Warning!!!

Warm Turbo is great and, I assume, the 18650 setup is too, but you need to be aware they don't play well together. (It is *NOT* well explained in the Warm models sales thread or on the 4Sevens site.) However, when it didn't work for me this is what 4Seven's customer service wrote:

That run of [warm LED] lights was not compatible in the threads with our accessory bodies and tails. ....
in their email response to my problems.

2nd4ever

Newly Enlightened
gifters - I regularly use a .94 Tactical head/.94 TurboAA2 body/.118 Turbo tail. Have you noticed the TurboAA2body and 18650 body are the same OD? You want both Quark bodies to have the same 'hand'? There ya go!

PS– Should explain my particularly-backassward Lego as myFingers and thumbs are old and the rest of me is just tagging along.
• Don't need the throw and unpocketability of the Turbo head.
• Like the larger 'hand' of the .94 TurboAA body over the std .86AA body.
• The totally-naked-and-fatter .118 Turbo tail switch button is MUCH easier for these old hands to operate versus the shrouded, .94 Tac switch. Have had no issues with accidental activation.

Hmmm. I'm a AA-Only Freak but that 18650 body sure is tempting!

Good hunting!