What red flashlight in PLATOON?

NewsFlash

Enlightened
Just curious.

There is the scene in Platoon where Charlie Sheen's outfit is in the jungle at night. Charlie's watch duty is up and tells someone else it's their time. He promptly falls asleep and lets the NVA walk in on them. Firefight ensues. Afterwards, one of them (Tom Berenger or Willem Dafoe, I think) turns on a red light, I believe twisting the back part of it to turn it on. He proceeds forward to check the status of the fallen NVA, firing more shots to kill the wounded.

Is this Hollywood or were such lights used in the Vietnam war? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am asking in part because some have posted on CPF that red lights do not work very well in the woods, with all the greens and browns. But it makes sense that if you had an enemy, such as in wartime, you would want to see but not be seen, and red is harder to spot at night.

Yes, I am aware that red light preserves your night vision.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
when i watched the show i always assumed the lights used were the typical anglehead flashlights...i can't be sure though. but imagine if he had a surefire M6; he would have blinded the NVA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif