2 L4's......2 different colors?

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
2 L4\'s......2 different colors?

I ordered a new L4 a while back and have liked it. My son (8 yrs old) kept saying it looked green. I was so taken with the brightness I didn't pay alot of attention I guess. I did notice it was much "different" than my E1e-KL1 but just figured it was because of the brightness. (Must know that I am "brand new" to these Luxeons)

Well I bought a second one from a fellow forumite who told me it was hand picked from his favorite dealer and that it was very "white". Indeed it is! Much more so than the one I have. In fact it really makes mine look "green"! Guess my son was right. It's much brighter and whiter and has a much nicer beam. The color is that of the E1e-KL1 now only very much brighter of course.

So.....do you all think it would be acceptable to send this back to Sure Fire for replacement? It's in perfect condition with less than 10 minutes actual run time. The switch is very stiff too which I am not very happy with either.

If you think it is acceptable who should I ask for. I have read where some have had better customer service with certain people but have no idea where I saw those names.

Thanks for you in put. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: 2 L4\'s......2 different colors?

RazorMax,

It's called the "Luxeon Lottery." It applies not only "color" of white, but brightness and voltage required to push the specified current (efficiency). Some of us eagerly await others lucky enough to score the rare jewels and willing to part with one. I can't answer as to it being warranty-able or not. Maybe the whiter one just got one of the jewels.

Larry

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no way to guarantee that you'll get a certain color/brightness. Heck, even people's perception of a "white" color can be totally different... It's literally a crapshot in a barrelfull of neutrinos when you're picking the right L4 (or LS, for that matter)...

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

Well I see what you mean. Guess I'll call SF today and try to send it back. The clickie needs replaced anyway and since I have another I won't miss it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There really is a BIG difference between these two. I was using the newly aquired one last night and it is near perfect, at least to me. Very bright and absolutely no dark spot in the center. Haven't tried it on the E1e yet though. Kind of curious just didn't have time.

Thanks.